It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2002, 08:36 AM   #1

firedancer HB User
Post bloating constipation eating disorder etc

know this is a bit long but PLEASE read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For several years now anytime i eat or drink ANYTHING, even just water, i become extremely bloated. I mean my stomach actually goes up a few jean sizes. I look pregnant. And when i eat a meal my stomach often hurts afterwards. I usually try to just eat tiny snacks. But by the end of the day i still look pregnant. I have tried everything for gas. it doesn't help. I have been to a gastroenterologist and he doesn't have a clue. I am always constipated. It has gotten to the point where i eat as little as possible and then when i do eat a regular meal i have to take laxatives after to i can use the bathroom and then my stomach is back to normal. If i don't take them the bloating and abdominal distention is extremely uncomfortable and i feel disgusting. Someone please help me.I have posted at other websites but no one has responded. Please!!!!! I can't live with this anymore!!!! I am getting to the point where laxatives are going to quit working. There has to be some way to fix this problem. Please, i need some advice!!!

My family doctor was the one who refered me to a gastroenterologist. I have had an upper and lower GI done. The x-rays came back normal. But I know something isn't right. I also eat and drink slowly. It doesn't make any difference. If i sip on a glass of water for an hour, when the glass is finally empty, i still have a huge belly. But thank you for your response. If you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them! I am desperate.
I was reluctant to share this info but since i am desperate it may be helpful info in figuring out what is wrong with me, i will. I used to have a bit of a problem with anorexia. Under control for now but could this be the cause of my problems. if so, can anyone offer any other advice. Please, i really need help. thanks.

AND I ALSO FOR SEVERAL YEARS TOOK MINITHINS(CONTAINS EPHEDRA). COULD THIS BE PART OF THE PROBLEM?

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS!I would appreciate any help. I cant deal with this anymore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2002, 01:16 AM   #2

omodjeska HB User
Talking

Sounds like you have gastroparesis and colonic atony following eating disorder. I have gastroparesis and IBS after suffering from bulimia and anorexia in my teens (read my post). Development of these kinds of conditions of the digestive system are common after eating disorders - it is well documented. Your body basically forgets how to digest food normally and the nervous system that controls the gut goes out of wack. Did you by any chance abuse laxatives? If your gastro doc doesn't know about this I would go and find one who does. Unfortunately none of us know what the cure is. This is what I do, with mixed results: eat little and frequently; don't drink liquids with meals or any time shortly before or afterwards; walk after the evening meal; don't eat after 6pm; steer clear of starchy or fatty foods. Hope I have been of some help.

Old 08-25-2002, 01:53 PM   #3

firedancer4041 HB User
i just wanted to repost my old message. i am still just the same as when i originally posted the original message. i was just hoping someone out there could help me. i would really appreciate any help. i am desperate.
thank you

Old 08-26-2002, 04:11 AM   #4
Super Sarah

Talking

Did you read the post above from Omodjeska that suggested that you could have gastroparesis following an eating disorder?

It also sounds like some of your problem is due to long term use of laxatives, which makes your bowel very sluggish and yes, you are right, after years of taking laxatives, it will be very hard to stop them, but that is what you need to do.

You can try a water soluble fiber supplement such as Metamucil and try and drink more fluid, but I would suggest that glycerine suppositories are better than laxatives.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
I had these same symtoms, I didn't take laxitives or have an eating disorder, but, I did see a gastro with no results, too. I still feel alittle bloated on occasion, but things are much better for me now, I've been working on this for the last two and 1/2 years. I was also diagnosed with IBS. This spring my stomach got sooo big. I went in to ER, after 800.00 of tests the doctor told me it was gas and to take charcoal tablets, that didn't do much either. When I went through a stressfull period this last fall, and was eating more sugars, I really started gaining weight, in the stomach and under my chin, all over really, but mostly in those two places. I went on the carbohydrate addicts diet and cut back on all caffines, also increased my water, and started taking a mineral based sea/salt, there are some people with heart disease, and high blood pressure that have to start out slowly with just the water, and it has to be done with a doctors supervision. But I didn't have a problem in those areas. Two years ago, is when I started with the fiber powder and klenz tea, along with 9 glasses of water daily, it took me a year to adjust to this!!!! Like you both, I was desparate. I know I'm jumping around alot, sorry, but I just had to let you know your not alone. Diana

Old 08-29-2002, 07:18 PM   #6

poliarci_1 HB User
Talking

I am getting better from having IBS for about 5.5 years. For the last 2 years I've slowly regained about 90% of my bowel function. There were many things that I did to make the improvements. One important one was to realize my allergies to foods and some which affected my sinuses. Hope this helps somebody.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:48 PM   #7

bachelor HB User

I have never had an eating disorder, but I do experience gas after nearly every meal. Usually it is pretty forceful and sudden in the way it moves around.

I also feel a feeling of spasming/tremoring of my intestines. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

Old 09-21-2002, 11:57 AM   #8
Super Sarah

Talking

Yes, gas means that you intestinal flora are out of balance and you need to start eating either live yogurt or taking Acidophilis caps that contain Lactobacillis to put the good bacteria back into your gut.

Keep them in the fridge, don't take them with hot drinks as heat kills bacteria and take them twice daily, morning and night on an empty stomach. You should notice improvement in about a weeks time.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:58 AM   #9
(female)

laria82 HB User
Not to scare anyone but you guys might want to take a look into ovarian cancer, it has the same symptoms as IBS. I noticed that in our post you put you have constant bloating and your doc. cant find anything... Look up ovarian cancer on the web and see what you find. (I'm just trying to make a suggestion, which it probalby isnt something so serious, but you never know.)
If you find anything else out, be sure to post.
Lara

Old 10-13-2002, 07:14 AM   #10

RebeccaP HB User
Try this link [url="http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs12.htm"]http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs12.htm[/url]
it is for a gas free diet
hope it helps
Rebecca P

Old 01-25-2003, 09:56 AM   #11

jj24 HB User
Hi. I've been there with the eating disorder (anorexia and bulimia) and IBS. I've found that the more aggitated I get about the IBS symptoms the worse they get. I've been following the "Eating for IBS" guidelines for about 9 months now and it's been helping (www.eatingforibs.com). However, the INSTANT I get a little stressed, it goes straight to my stomach and everything gets screwed up again. Even if I just eat oatmeal and rice, I'll still look pregnant and have stomach pains.
I've found that if I practice deep breathing and make sure I cry to get the stress out, I do much better. People may giggle about the crying bit, but I'm NEVER bloated after I've cried uncontrollably for good 10 or 15 minutes.
This probably hasn't helped much, but you are not alone and the constant worrying about it may be hurting you. Maybe look into meditation or yoga or even biofeedback (thinking happy thoughts about your intestines) to help relax everything. Take care.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
Inactive

silverwill HB User
I did have an eating disorder. All the things I did may have made my IBS more pronounced. I was anorexic/bullimic (more bullemia problems though--I did eat, but not a lot) Eating disorders play with your body & can screw it up SO bad. I had no idea at the time--I was just told this more recently. This may be damage caused by the anorexia. I know people who live in 3rd world countries & have no food, when they finally do get to eat, their stomachs swell. Maybe it's going to take some more time for your problem to clear up, or you may have this forever. I really can't say.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #13

susan27 HB User
Question

I'm new here, and was doing a search trying to find answers to similar symptoms. In my searching, I found an article from Dr. Pick called "Intestinal Bloating". This doctor was talking about all the women he saw who were coming in to his office with constipation, diarrhea, increased gas, bloating after eating and often times fatigue. The women never got any answers from doctors.

Then the doctor got ill when traveling overseas, and got the same kinds of symptoms. He did a stool test and didn't get any response. Then he took it to a lab for a more detailed test and saw that it did indeed have parasites in it. The technician also said that he had developed allergies to certain foods and should stay away from those. So the doctor started to wonder if some of these other symptoms in the women he saw could also be caused from parasites or allergies. He concluded that this was the case, and that women with these conditions should be evaluated with a "CDSA test and a CP X 2 with a purge".

Does anyone know anything about these tests, and if they are valid or just a bunch of scam tests? I am really at my wit's end here and am looking at all options right now. But I figured that maybe this would be something to check into. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to know about your findings. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
I have the huge bloated stomach too , esp after meals. No gas or pain. I honestly believe IBS is stress related. No eating disorders either. I agree: it is good to replace intestinal flora with lactobacillus acidophilus capsules that are refrigerated.

------------------

Susan Gene

Old 09-21-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi Firedancer,

I've suffered from the same things you have and I've posted before that I use quarter of a pill of Bile salts to help me with my constipation. Hmmm... I wonder if I can find the post for you. It is such a long thing to write out.

Here's the deal: "I believe" that constipation/diarrhea are caused through the irritation of two nerves in the brain which are responsible for turning the gall bladder on/off. Bile is used by the body to digest fats, but it also helps in the retention of water in stools. More bile means more water retention in the stools. Too much or too little in the digestive track can lead to diarrhea or constipation respectively. However, it is possible to artificially supplement what the body is supposed to produce naturally and help the digestive system. I take a quarter of a pill of bile salts with my meal if I am sure I will suffer from a bout of constipation. Since too much bile can cause diarrhea, it is important that you are both sure you will suffer from "C" - or you will suffer from a worse bout of "D" accompanied by pain (bile acts as an irritant to the large intestine if it does not all get absorbed - too much bile means all of it will not get absorbed) - and you must ensure that you carefully control the amount you add to the natural supply (again you may suffer from "D" if you add too much bile supplement). Bile should only be taken with a meal - if you take it too long after a meal, it will not mix in the stomach - it will reach one end of the food train in the intestine. This means that the end it comes in contact with will speed up and the front end will be slow - causing you an intense amount of bloating and possibly pain.

If you do use bile salts, take a pill splitter and split them into four - Start with a quarter and then move up if necessary. You can obtain bile salts OTC from a natural food store or possibly a pharmacy.

On the flip side, you can control diarrhea by using a similarly controlled quantity of Questran/Colestid which are both used to control colesterol levels in the body, but also absorb bile, reducing the water retention in stools. Questran and Colestid are not over-the counter and need to be prescribed by your doctor - just express your wish to try it out, if you need it.

Well, I hope this helps you somewhat.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread