It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #1

courtneyclv HB User
Post which is needed soluble or insoluble fiber>?

Hi,
I have had the problem of chronic constipation (so bad that even a cleansing barely works) and bloating. I am on Zelnorm and am suppose to take Benefiber 4 times a day. It only has 3 grams of fiber per packet and I think it is soluble. Don't I need more that 12 grams of fiber? What should I take that has both kinds of fiber in it?

Old 09-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
That is avery good question, my doc gave me some reading stuff and they say that both fibers is best with psyllium(i think that is how you spell it). I tried benefiber too! I didn't think it worked that great, I am eating a high fiber cereal from my local health food store and it has 9 grams per serving and it taste good too! maybe try something else. have a good one

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
(male)

JeffH HB User
No, the pysillum (sp) can cause constipation, as it draws water out of the intestine. Try Flax fiber with Omega 3 oil. It comes with the oil. ( You should be able to find it at a health food store. If not do a search on the internet) I used pysillum for years and yo-yo'd between C and D. Since switching to the Flax Fiber, I am much better. It does not react with the water in you intestines and eliminates constipation. I read about it and its worked wonders for me

Old 09-20-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User
courtney,

It's SOLUBLE fiber that you want to maximize. Some is better than others because it aborbs MORE water. Psyllium can attract water and increase many many times it's weight and volume and thus swell to a very large soft mass which eases the colon's burden and allows for a "smooth passage." It will cure both constipation and diarrhea and ease any cramping from IBS by keeping the bowel filled. With INSOLUBLE fiber it's pretty much a few grams in, a few grams out...the bowel will barely notice it.

Also check out the soluble fiber on the back of a can of beans and you'll soon add bean soup to your menu every day!

If you have real problems, then try to get enough fiber to ameliorate them. If it takes 10 grams, so be it...20, fine.
Our hunter gatherer ancestors got MUCH MUCH more fiber than we can ever hope to get with out processed food. I find that if things are ROUGH it can take 2 or even 3 rounded tsp. of psyllium a day for long term comfort.....and my can of beans (black bean soup my fave.)

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-22-2003, 10:50 PM   #5

courtneyclv HB User
Yes, I love black bean soup too..and also split pea. i have been having beans for a snack, chili or baked beans. After a while, your gas disappears also!

Closed Thread