It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

islandgirl HB User
Post IBS and Herpes

Please give me your opinion on this. I have genital/anal herpes and I'm scheduled to do a colonoscopy in a few weeks. Doctors think I may have IBS. Doctors say herpes in a skin condition, but I'm wondering if it can infect the colon also. I suffer with frequent herpes outbreaks so its really difficult to schedule a colonoscopy when I'm not having an outbreak and I'm afraid that the scope will touch a sore and transmit the infection inside to my colon. Is this even possible? Please, I need to know if anyone with frequent genital/anal herpes has had a colonoscopy. I am really worried about this. My gastro says don't worry, but I'm not really convinced.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
(male)

Nonexist HB User
Hey islandgirl,

So you may have IBS, too? I also have IBS and herpes. This isn't something I have had to think about, but it depends on whether there is nerve pathway from the spinal ganglion to the inside of the colon wall. I would guess no, but that's just a guess. Herpes has to travel the nerve pathway, so if the road doesn't go there, there's no way the virus can, either.

For extra security, you could make sure you're not having an OB when you go for the colonoscopy.

Good luck!

Nonexist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

islandgirl HB User
Hey, Nonexist: Thanks for your response. I don't believe the virus can travel to the colon via the nerves, but what I'm worried about is the scope from the colonoscopy carrying infected stuff from the sore into my colon. As for not having outbreaks, well, the anxiety alone from having to have the colonoscopy brings on an outbreak the very night before. This is the fourth time I've had to re-schedule. You can imagine the GI is not too happy with me.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 AM   #4
(male)

Nonexist HB User
I'm not really sure if the virus can do anything if it reaches the inside of the colon. I've heard many women on the herpes board talk about having internal vaginal outbreaks, so it's not hard to believe it couldn't happen with the colon, too. But, I've never heard of it. Maybe someone else from the herpes board would know more.

Nonexist

Closed Thread