It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #1

Ricky U HB User
Angry Why Can't I Drink My Daily 10 Cups Of Coffee Anymore????

I'm 34 yrs old and have been to a GI.I haven't been diagnosed with IBS by the DR.but I know IBS is what I have.My symptoms are diahrea,mucos in stool,gastritis,long bathroom visits.All these symptoms are very mild and only occur occasionally.So when I feel good and think I've beaten this,I go for a cup of coffee.It usually takes a few hours or even til the next day but most of my symptoms come back.Now I know its the caffeine but why can I drink Ice tea,Coke and any other caffeine products with no problems.This also happens with decaf.DR. said that decaf still has a little caffeine that they can't get all of it out.But doesn't Ice tea have more?

[This message has been edited by Ricky U (edited 09-18-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #2

Sugarrhodes HB User
I went to a Chinese Herb Doctor and he told me never drink coffee. I asked about decaf, he told me caffine is not the problem he said "Coffee bean no good." Take it for what its worth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I have IBS and 1 cup of coffee sends me to the bathroom. I would be in there all day with 10 cups.

Best wishes

Old 09-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
I cannot drink a large amount of coffee without a BM. But I think there are a lot of variables that may affect the time of your bowel movement.

1) Do you drink your coffee with Sugar or other sweeteners. Sugar like caffeine(?) can aggravate your gut especially if this is on an empty stomach.

2) Do you drink pop on an empty stomach or with lunch?

3) Do you drink regular coffee or a designer coffee like espresso or starbucks? For me a small cup of regular coffee I can tolerate, but a large Starbucks coffee will send me over the edge.

More information is needed. i.e., do you drink a small cup of coffee or a extra large coffee

From my perspective, coffee does aggravate your gut as does sugar and needs to be cut back. I do drink soda but very rarely at this point.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #5

Jennyx HB User
Talking

For what its worth, I have heard that YOGURT with (live acidophulous cultures) or capsules from the store work for some people with IBS. Sure couldnt hurt to try it for a few weeks!

Old 09-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #6

Ricky U HB User
When I try to drink coffee now,I have a small cup W/o sugar or cream.I drink DR pepper & Lipton unsweetened ice tea all day.On empty or full stomach with no problems.I use to drink Diet Coke about 8 a day.But I quit because I believe the asparatame was one of the main culprits to my stomach problems.I'm going to look into yogurt.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Ricky,

Besides caffeine, there are hundreds of different compounds in coffee any one of which could be your IBS trigger.

Blessed be,I have IBS food triggers (lactose is the worst) but coffee isn't one of them, so I can drink my morning 52 ounces of stong JAVA without problems.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #8

Ricky U HB User
Lightbulb

Zip2play I think your right about all the other compounds in coffee.But I cant give my coffee up.So i'm going to try different brands or maybe drink alot so that I can condition my stomach to it again.Just some crazy ideas.Well enjoy your java.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:50 AM   #9

Frustrated1 HB User
To Zip:

Not that it may not work for you, But, I thought that I could condition my stomach to take the the foods that were triggering my BM. I would have done this in a similar fashion by eating more of the offending food to try to develop an immunity. All I can say is those were some dark, and quite smelly, days. I also have a problem with coffee but I tend to drink decaf coffee or a "gourmet coffee" but only very sparingly, maybe once a week. More times than this I would have serious problems. Good Luck.

Closed Thread