It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 01:42 PM   #1

missmoo HB User
Post dizziness?

hi, im not sure if i have IBS, but i get these dizzy spells where i feel really nauseous and woozy and then have a real urge to go to the toilet.

does this sound anything like IBS and if not does anyone know what it could be? i had a bad stomach bug about 2months ago and my stomachs been a bit sensitive since but its the dizziness i was worried about?

Old 09-17-2003, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
There are many causes for the crazy head feeling but inner ear problems usually top the list.

The EAR does 2 things -- hearing and helps maintain balance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Missmoo, do you have anxiety? I get anxiety attacks and I feel dizzy and I have to go to the bathroom.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #4

missmoo HB User
Cool

thanks for your replies...
i suppose i do get anxious, mainly about my other symptoms. thats the problem, im never sure which symptoms are 'real' and which are caused by anxiety etc! still searching...

Old 09-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #5

NATALI100 HB User
I used to have dizziness and even faintings with infection B.hominis. Nausea fatigue sleeping disorders.....the list is long!! Remember many tests for B hominis are false-negative
Good luck

Old 09-22-2003, 06:55 PM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
I have had dizzy spells at times, even while I have had a BM. One of the things I had diagnosed was during extreme times, my blood sugar was low. Once I had taken some candy I was functional. You may want to consider this if you have extreme fatigue and headache.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:03 AM   #7

missmoo HB User
Angry

thanks for the advice everyone. NATALI100, i will certainly look into this infection. i just looked it up on the net and some of the symptoms do stike a chord. my symptoms do seem to come and go and the page said this was common with B.Hom. would you agree?

i know this is a bit gross but my symptoms often include feeling like i really need to go, but getting there and finding its all just gas or sometimes some mucus. does that sound like IBS to anyone, or maybe this B.Hom infection?

xxx

Old 09-23-2003, 07:59 AM   #8

Frustrated1 HB User
Is the B. Hominis - Blastocyst Hominis. If this is I would definitely propose questions to the doctor. I told several tests and this was also one of their conclusions. As a first step this is a good one. This was also my first step. originally I was diagnosed with this and I was given Flagyl to clear this up. But the symptoms remained and even were more severe.
I would suggest that you also keep a food diary. This would help you focus of foods that may be causing some of your symptoms. Since IBS has different activation times it may be difficult to find a pattern. I have seen not necessarily mucus but fat globules. I am also very gasey and sometimes I do not empty out. I would be very proactive on this when you talk to your doctor.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:53 AM   #9

NATALI100 HB User
Wink

Hi again,
I noticed you live in UK as well.Most laboratories dont do tests for D.Fragilis and B.hominis here.But even if they do they dont know how to perform this test well.Stool should be collected in the tube with fixative. (some liquid,as they do in Great Smokies laboratory in US)
Look at the web site,which was created by 8-year sufferer of similar infection D.Fragilis [url="http://www.badbugs.org/parasite"]http://www.badbugs.org/parasite[/url]
There is explanation how to perform the test and I am sure you will find out that you are not alone!!
I've seen over 20 different doctors here in UK,no one could answer why i got dizzy spells,syncopes with lower abdominal pain.My life was like a hell. Im currently on treatment Flagyl+Co-trimoxazole.Keeping my fingers crossed.Donttake Flagyl alone,they become resistant to this drug...Here some info for you:
Published facts about Blastocystis hominis:
"The most frequently reported symptoms of B.hominis are: diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, pain. In chronic cases symptoms often include weight loss, fatigue, blood in the stool, dizziness & vomiting. ...
Many people suffer for years before a positive finding of Blasto. Misdiagnoses of IBS or psychiatric disorder is common in those diagnosed with this parasite.....
The London School of Tropical Hygiene & Medicine found the incidence of Blasto. was more than 40% in those diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (2001 unpublished data
Testing for Blasto.
Medical literature on Blastocystis hominis advises a minimum of three samples should be submitted for testing. The collection phials should contain a liquid "fixative". The fixative (or preservative) is used to prevent morphological changes to the parasite after leaving it's host. These changes can make the parasite unrecognisable by the lab technicians resulting in a false-negative.
I will be happy to help you.Contact me if you have any more questions on tuna_kina@yahoo.co.uk.
Good luck

We can change the world!!

[This message has been edited by NATALI100 (edited 09-25-2003).]

Old 09-25-2003, 04:26 AM   #10

NATALI100 HB User
To Frustrated1:
After taking Flagyl alone (2 times) I felt worse as well.
By all accounts Blasto. hominis is not an easy parasite to treat. It quickly builds resistance to Flagyl, and there currently there is no drug which is 100% effective.
FLAGYL:
Despite it's high failure rate, evidenced both anecdotally and in medical literature, Flagyl (metronidazole) is the most commonly prescribed treatment for B.hominis infections, considered by many physicians to be the "gold standard" treatment for most bowel infections.
Many people have been unsuccessfully treated with flagyl.
Effective treatment
The dosages are:
Septrin Forte twice daily (Trimethoprim 160mg plus Sulfamethoxazole 800mg) together with Tinidazole 400mg three times daily .
The most usual complaint of blastocystis patients is of intense abdo. discomfort accompanied by pain. Diarrhea is not standard, and constipation is common. The symptoms gleaned from the literature include abdo. pain, discomfort, anorexia, bloating, cramps, diarrhea, constipate, alternating diarrhea and constipation, watery diarrhea, mucus diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, sleeplessness, nausea, weight loss, inability to work, lassitude, dizziness, flatus, pruritus, and tenesmus.
Blood in the stool as well as excessive mucus and leukocytes have been reported. Moderate to severe eosinophilia is not uncommon and was reported in 8 of 19 patients in one study
Blastocystis hominis – Past and Future
Clin. Micro. Reviews. Jan 1991 p. 61-79

Misdiagnoses of anorexia and/or psychiatric illness is common among long term sufferers of parasitic illnesses. Many people infected with B.hominis or D.fragilis find themselves being referred for psychiatrist assessment at some stage in their illness. This is likely to continue until parasites are recognised by all clinicians as a cause of many chronic disorders..

We can change the world!

Old 09-25-2003, 11:52 AM   #11

missmoo HB User
Angry

hey, thanks very much for you help
doctors are so annoying, i went again this morning and asked specifically about this b.hominis thing and he just said that theyd have picked it up in the one sample i did ages ago if i had it. which i know is rubbish but its hard to argue with your GP. anyway, im beginning to doubt if ive got it because i dont actually have diarrhoea or constipation or abdominal pain... just a kind of sensitive stomach, nausea, dizziness.
i think im going mad....!! not sure what to do, chaing doctors soon when i go back to uni so ill try them. thanks again for all your info.
xxx

Old 09-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #12

NATALI100 HB User

Hello again!
I would advise to make a stool test-3 stool sample in fixative. I have not got diarhoea as well.Dont get frustrated-it wont help.Be always optimistic.Sometimes its really hard to find what you have.Symptoms of any infection can vary.

If your GP is not helpfull in your situation then you should consider another doctor (I got 3 GPs ;-))
Well,some doctors do not understand about infections much.They studied the basic course in university when it was tought that B.hominis is not a pathogen.
Good luck
The future is in our hands

Old 09-28-2003, 05:29 AM   #13

Frustrated1 HB User
I would agree with the diagonsis that Flagyl does not work. In my meeting with my first doctor he also stated that B. Hominis is always present in the system.
I had the stool tests performed and all seemed normal.

I would consider a more proactive stance. I would first construct a food diary if your symptoms are randome and have varying severity. This food diary would document at what time you ate, what you ate and when symptoms develop and cease. This would give you something more concrete, since the symptoms are very vague such as fatigue and diaherra.

Have they taken blood tests. One of this things that I found that might be an indicator is the present of a Antigladin antibody, Learned this from Sarah68, If this antibody is present then an offending antigen is present in your system.

Are you going to a gastroenterologist or a general practicioner?

Your sequence of evenets is almost verbatim to what I went through. Good Luck

Old 10-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #14

missmoo HB User
Red face

thanks for your continuing help guys, i am going to start writing this food diary thing. im having some blood tests processed at the moment i think checking for antibodies to various viruses, but thats not going pick this bug up is it?
ive just got back to uni, and my main symptom now is a foggy head - i cant concentrate or focus on anything, its so frustrating. i dont see how this can be related to my digestion?!!?!
ill keep you posted when i can get into the computer rooms!
xxx

Old 10-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #15

Frustrated1 HB User
You might be surprised as to what it could pick up. But please keep in mind that in IBS related cases, it is an intolerance to a protein, sugar or other antigen. The sign of infection or disturbance would show up as an increased level of anti-bodies, specifically Anti-gladin if you have a gluten or wheat intolerance.
Good Luck

Closed Thread