It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 12:58 PM   #1

andyM HB User
Post Normal stool follwed by Diarrhea & pain the same BM???

I have IBS-pain predominat with a tendancy towards Constipation. I rarely have Diarrhea, maybe 3x a year or so. Today I had some cramping and went in to have a BM, and had a solid BM. I felt ok, but felt like I was incomplete. I sat for a few more minutes, and then suddenly got really bad cramping and had about 1/2 hour of diarrhea.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen before? Any insight to what it could be caused by? It looked like there wasfood particles in the toilet (gross, I know!!). It looked almost like oregano and red pepper flakes, even though I didnt chug any of the spices from my spice rack. LOL.

UGH! I hate my bowels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi Andy - so sorry for your troubles. Sounds like you may be heading toward IBS-C/D + pain. Keep an eye on things - if the diarrhea continues you might want to go to the doc just to be sure something more isn't happening. Undigested food particles coming in the stool is very common with IBS-D - at least for me it is.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 02:44 PM   #3

andyM HB User
Hi Katie,

Thank for your reply. I have had IBS for over 10 years. I think years ago I had both C & D, but the last 5-6 I am mostly C. Like I said, I get D only every few months or less.

I only had that one episode of D, and then have had normal stools today. My stomach still feels kind funky. Does one episode of D like that mean I am heading towards IBS-D or could it have just been a strange trigger or something.

Also, wondering if anyone can explain the biolocial anatomical explanation for having a solid stool and Diarrhea in one sitting simultaneously. I always thought if you had diarrhea, you basically had diarrhea. I dont understand how you can have a normal solid stool and then right behind it is D?

Thanks
A

Old 09-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I do the exact same thing at times. I never did understand this. I also always have undigested particles in my stools like lettuce or fruit skins and vetebles skins. I also have IBS.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi again Andy. I've had times of solid stool suddenly followed by watery diarrhea, even on what I thought was a "good" day. However, I've had IBS-D for 20+ years so solid stools for me were a rarety. Until I got started on Colestid, but that's a whole other story I won't go into now.

Based on your symptoms it sounds like something could have been a "trigger" for you causing the D. Let's hope everything goes back to "normal" (if there is such a thing in IBS) for you soon.

If not, see your doctor.

Good luck,
Katie G

Old 10-03-2003, 08:17 AM   #6

kascha0822 HB User
Hi Andy,

I have the exact problem. a little stomach pain and a somewhat regular BM. Then more pain and diarrhea containing what looks like tiny pieces of lettuce and or tomato. Most of the time there is an oil residue around it. Yes it is gross, but a genuine problem. Any solutions or ideas as to what it may be?

Old 10-03-2003, 08:20 AM   #7

kascha0822 HB User
Hi Andy,

I have the exact problem. a little stomach pain and a somewhat regular BM. Then more pain and diarrhea containing what looks like tiny pieces of lettuce and or tomato. Most of the time there is an oil residue around it. Yes it is gross, but a genuine problem. Any solutions or ideas as to what it may be?

Closed Thread