It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 04:34 PM   #1

badlilangel HB User
Post Possible IBS?? Here's what happens...

Okay, I have been looking into this for awhile and I am wondering if I could possible have IBS... normally, I only have BMs like two or three times a week, at most, and they are big and hard and sometimes tear me a little when they come out...

But sometimes, I would say once or twice a month, at totally sporadic times... I get this completely dibilitating stomach ache..here is what happens:

*It starts in my lower stomach, and is insanely painful, Pepto Bismal doesnt' help.. it slowly moves down into my intestines, in pangs of pain (for a few minutes I will feel fine, then BAM its back)
*I am usually laying down by now, sometimes moaning because it hurts so badly, and it slowly moves down my intestines until it feels like it is right in my lower gut (almost where my uterus is, it sort of feels like menstrual cramps, only worse)
*I will start to get an intense pain feeling, then suddenly a feeling of very hard pressure in my lower intestines, like someone is pushing into my stomach, and then after that stops, I can hear a few seconds of gurgling and bubbling
*Usually the pain + pressure + gurgling pattern happens for an hour or so (which I usually spend sitting on the toilet hoping it will be over soon) then finally I have dirreaha usually 1 to 3 times.

I know this is gross, and this whole process of being "sick" can take up to 3 hours, where I can't do anything and I am in pain. Is this IBS or could it be something else??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I have IBS and there are times when the cramping is so bad it hurts to walk. It feels like my uterus is going to fall out.I also go to the bathroom alot and that still does not take the pain away. There are times when I feel the rumbling in my bowels and run to the bathroom and am there for a while. It is frustrating and miserable.

Maybe you should go to a dr. to get your own piece of mind. Just so you know what it is that is causing the problem.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
Inactive

Toree HB User
I don't see much here about diverticulitis and after reading your post, your symptoms sound like the ones I had many years ago. Very similiar in the pain description and also when having a BM it would be difficult followed by several episodes of very strong diarrhea. This would leave me tender, crampy and unable to even go to work. I would be okay and it would start again. Sometimes I had rectal pain which scared me. No bleeding that I could see. But lots of low abominal pain, sharp and cramping which was like uterine spasms.

Well, not to scare but inform you, by 3 months of this, one day I suffered a perforated diverticulitis and was rushed into emergency surgery with some major concerns about surviving that surgery, which of course I did. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks with a small portion of my sigmoid section of colon removed. I had a temporary colostomy for 3 months which was reversed after 3 months. I also had 2 post surgical incisional hernias as well and now have a mesh screen in my stomach.

The sad part is that ALL of this could have been avoided if my doctor had taken the right action and requested an immediate colonoscopy instead of abdominal x-rays, which showed nothing. He said I had a nervous stomach and put me on a tranquilizer. With antibiotics in the beginning and major change in my diet, none of those surgeries would have happened.

PLEASE, see a gastroenterologist and have a colonoscopy. Compared to what I went through, the colonoscopy is no problem...good luck to you...

Old 08-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #4

painintheneck2 HB User
Ok. this is even grosser than your post, but I have to ask: when you wipe is there mucous? That is one of the main symptoms of IBS (which I have). If you do have mucous when you wipe then your prob have IBS.

Do you take non-sterodial anti imflammatory drugs (like ibuprofen, aleve etc)? If you do, then STOP! People like us cannot take this. It will produce your painful symptoms. My colon is all scarred up from taking ibuprofen 600mg for 2 years.

~head on collision in 1999 (car totaled)
~badly sprained ankle, bruised chest cavity, whiplash
~month later, recovered
~month and one week later, couldn't move neck LOTS of pain and crying. Tingling in right index and middle finger. Pain down right arm, pain always in neck and in upper back between shoulder blades (burning). Legs also hurt at times.
~went to various docs, prescribed muscle relax. and pain meds on and off whenever I got a "flare up".
~found my doc 2 years ago, prescribed lortab. insurance wouldn't cover preexistin cond till 6 months lapsed
~doc said "you are having muscle spasms and will prob be on pain killers the rest of your life"
~later, doc started to question my pain
~told him to schedule MRI
~MRI showed herniated disk, bulging on right side at C5 & C6
~kept me on pain meds and referred me to a wonderful chiro.
~now seeing chiro and taking pain meds
~next step is epidural shot if chiro doesn't work.
~UPDATE: Aug 2003: Saw Doc., discussed tolerence to Lortabs; Discussed long acting meds and complete loss of sensation in right thumb up to first finger; and pain worse, + wake up with right arm "dead" often!
~Set up appt with Neuro
~Prescribed MS Contin 30 mg 2x day plus Lortab 10 5 per day for BT.
~ 1 wk later: bumped up to 60mg MS Contin 2x day
~ So far MS Contin works excellent. Pain level 0 to 1 for 8-10 hours

Old 08-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Inactive

Toree HB User
No I can't say there is any mucous. I am very careful of my diet and after 4 surgeries related to that divertic, I rarely have any flareups but it requires a strict diet. It's been 11 years since the last surgery so I know it works. I feel that IBS is the first step towards diverticulitis and even a warning of sorts to pay close attention to your diet.

Anyone who has self diagnosed themselves with IBS without a colonoscopy is taking a terrible chance because it might be diverticulitis. We all have the diverticula, those little pockets in our colon lining and for most, they don't ever cause a problem. But frequently they can get irritated and infected i.e., diverticulitis. They can be treated with an antibiotic usually, rest and change in eating habits if caught fast enough.

Ignore it and you may end up like me.
Toree

Old 08-30-2003, 09:41 AM   #6

badlilangel HB User
I do have mucous frequently actually

Old 10-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #7

Jesska83 HB User
Unhappy

WOW - My symptoms are the exact SAME badlilangel's. Seriously. I am 20 years old and these symptoms have been going on ever since about my sophomore year in high school...maybe even before that. It has never gone away, and I am getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. I am intrigued by the question about NSAIDs(like Aleve) since I take this when I have menstrual cramps (that's a whole different issue). Also...I was wondering...in regards to the diarrhea, is it ever yellow for anyone? Because mine is. And it scares me- any ideas on what this could be? Thank you for your responses.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #8

babyjd HB User
Unhappy

I know exactly how you feel. I just had a bout of what you just described. It starts with the rumbling of the stomach. Sometimes I will feel as though I'm extremly full. Then comes the severe stomach pains. It is absolute torture. I will sit on the toilet doubled over most of the time just waiting for what I know will happen. Sometimes I will sweat and even feel like I could cry. I actually pray for the diarrha just so the pain subsides. I have also tried peptmo bismal and other anti-diarreha medications but they don't seem to work. The diarreha is very erratic and there does not seem to be a certain food. I get it one to two times a month. I will be making an appointment with the doctor today and will let you know what comes of it. If you have any revelations please let me know. Hang in there!!!

Closed Thread