It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 04:05 AM   #1

adamuk HB User
Post Using Immodium...

Hi there,

I have had IBS for about as long as I can remember (Im 22). Needless to say that being 22 and living in London means that my life-style is not too healthy! My particular condition is mostly sparked off by spicy food, or excessive alcohol, and results in very bad stomach cramps (usually in the morning) followed by a total evacuation. I have been taking Immodium for years to combat this, (this usually happens once a week). Is this too often to use this drug? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

all the best,

Adam

Old 07-26-2003, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
You can safely take immodium as long as you need to. Many people with IBS take immodium every single day with no lasting effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I have to totally disagree with you on this one. It is bad to get hooked on taking drugs such as Immodium for IBS. It really does nothing at all to help you get to grips with the underlying issues involved which you have to do. In the long term it can have side effects too. Sometimes drugs such as Immodium can make your stomach cramps a lot worse.

Also, whatever happened to treating the cause of your IBS rather than just treating the symptoms? You need to think holistic here. Taking Immodium to treat your symptoms when they occur is just that, but by treating the cause you can achieve and maintain a cure.

As a young man living in London, you actually need to take a look and radically change your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle means changing your diet too and this means cutting out spicy food, coffee and reducing your alcohol intake, especially if it is lager or beer. All these things contribute strongly to IBS. Do this and you may find that you won't have to take Immodium any longer, as you won't need to.

I think that you need to practice a little bit of preventative medicine here. Prevention is better than cure as they say and if you make these changes now and deal with the problem now, it will prevent longer term problems in later life.

You need to get out there and just be your own man, rather than getting stuck in the rat race of life and going for curry's and beer swilling just because all your mates do it. If you break free and start living your life the way you want to, you will feel a whole lot better. Surely this has to be better than eating spicy food and drinking beer and then ending up with severe bellyache and diarrhea because of it and having to take Immodium to try and help?

Old 07-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
From my experience, I would have to agree with Sarah. Although taking Immodium does help, long term use may cause other problems to develop, especially if the problem attacks your intestines, such as Celiac Spruce.

My question would be do you know what spices cause the problem.
Alcohol gives me problem but I believe all people with IBS are affected to some degree with alcohol.

But at the crux of the matter if these problems are long lasting and create severe symptoms, at the very minimum a diet change is in order.
What other symptoms do you get, joint cramps, severe fatigue, constipation?

Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 AM   #5

booboo6202 HB User
i think the question was "is it safe to take this drug this often?"no matter wich rout you use to treat your ibs the answer to your question is yes you can take as much immodium as you need to safely everyday.i base this answer on two of the best gi docs in ohio who both told me it was safe because immodium doesnt affect the brain. it stays in the bowel only.both of these docs told me it was safe to take everyday if needed.as far as the cramps and such go everyone is different and if you take too much you can really clog yourself up wich is not a good thing.take in moderation and you will be fine. i have taken two a day for about five years now problem free and it makes my life a lot more easier and stress free

Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Maybe the original poster did ask the question you have just answered. However, you answer still makes me feel very sad.

Don't you think that you are really missing the whole point here. Rather than taking Immodium, should you not be tackling the real issues behind it? This can be diet and emotional issues too. I have to say that very seldom is IBS just related to any one particular organ such as the stomach and the bowels. It has wide ranging effects, from bad diet, to too much stress and anxiety and also I would have to say that suppressed anger and the function of the Liver plays a very large part too.

A GI doc can probably give you hard medical facts about drugs and your inner workings, but they just become very focussed on fixing this one part of your body, whereas they should be looking at you as a whole person. If you fix the whole person, then you can help to fix the rest too.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

The container says "do not take for more than two days unless directed by a Doctor"
I don't think Imodium is intended to be used on an on--going basis.

Call the manufacturer -- their phone number is on the box.

Harry

Old 07-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #8

Dai HB User
I agree completely with Sarah68!!

In my opinion you should avoid taking any drugs for IBS (my doctor thinks so also), especially ones like Immodium. You should really do something about your diet and make it work for you. If you continue abusing your system, you are going to pay the price. So start exploring the possibilities and start eating healthy, you will feel a lot better. Good luck to you!

Old 09-19-2003, 08:47 AM   #9

NYYankee HB User
Talking

I have taken Imodium for years as a preventive med. I take at least 4 per day. Two in the am, one before lunch, and another at dinner. I also take Levbid twice a day and that has helped immensely. According to my GI doc I can take up to 8 imodium per day.

Those who think we shouldn't take any meds...well, walk a mile in our shoes. Some of us have to function at jobs, etc.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Well, maybe you should consider getting a new GI then. He is doing you a great disservice by telling you that it is ok to be taking 8 Immodium a day continuouly. It most certainly is not and he should be helping you identify and treat the cause of your diarrhea problems in the first place rather than just filling you full of tablets that will only treat the symptoms. Immodium will only treat the symptoms and not the cause. The only way to a cure is to treat the underlying cause.

You do not need to take Immodium when there are lots of other natural methods available to help that work.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:20 AM   #11

nightangel00 HB User
I have also heard of inmodium to be safe long term use. I do agree that you also need to diet to not need to take as much inmodium too. If eliminating the alcohol and spicy foods its the problem this is an easy case. Now for most of us we do not eat spicy foods, we eat healthy, we do excersice, we do not drink alcohol and still remain with the problem. Preventive medicine just doesnt work here and we need to rely on drugs like inmodium because simply there is no cure. Its a functional disorder therefore the only thing you can do is treat the symptoms and pray that miracously one day will go away.

Old 09-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You do not need to rely on drugs such as Immodium. There are lots of other natural alternatives to having to take Immodium other than diet.

It really is not safe to rely on it long term at all.

You do not have to hope that one day it will go away either. If you take this attitude you will never be cured. You need to be proactive and have a look into the alternative therapy treatments available. You would really be surprised at the other underlying causes that contribute to IBS. It is not just a functional disorder at all.

You just need to take some time out and think about what was going on when your first attack happened and I am sure that you will come up with some kind of answer.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2003, 05:58 AM   #13

RCalabraro HB User
Arrow

What is it with certain people?

For some of us, IBS is a fact of life. We've made a conscientious effort to eliminate risk factors from our lifestyles. We exercise. We watch what we eat. Yet still, the condition remains. Why do some people crusade against the use of safe and effective treatments?

You do people with the condition a disservice by mongering doom about the dangers of immodium, when in truth you have no data to back up your claim. Perhaps your zeal camouflages an alterior motive?

"When you find disagreement from a person who shows an emotional response, unsupported by a logical explanation for their popsition, it is a surety they have been indoctrinated with a lie." - Anon

Old 09-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #14

luvs789 HB User
Smile

I completely agree with NYYankee. I have to get up at 6 in the morning and get ready for school every day, and going to school in the mornings without Immodium is virtually impossible because of my IBS-D. I have to be at school for 9 hours a day. The doctor I go to, as well as the 4 others I've seen, have all told me that using Immodium is perfectly fine, especially since I don't take it on the weekends. So, all-in-all, we're not babies. We're normal people trying to live relatively normal lives. I'm 15 years old and I can't go to parties because I can't eat pizza, potato chips, chocolate, candy, or soda. Not even once in a while. I wake every morning feeling horrible until 11 in the morning, while everyone around me is happy and jumpy. I think that if you don't have IBS or IBS-D, you shouldn't tell us we're babies, because we're not. We're trying to be normal people doing normal activities, and in order to do so we need some medicine to control our symptoms. So please don't comment on this board unless you know a better way for us to live, because my life sucks more than a lot of people know, and I don't appreciate people saying it's wrong for me to take medicines.

------------------
Everything's ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:33 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Did I actually say 'babies' anywhere in my post? No, I don't think so.

Also, I do not have any other motive at all. What I am saying is that perhaps you should try to find the cause of your IBS and treat this rather than just taking Immodium which only treats the symptoms and not the causes. If you treat the causes you are more likely to find a resolution to your symptoms.

I would strongly suggest that you go and see an ND (Naturopathic Doctor) in your area. They practice HOMEOPATHY which is extremely hepful for treating most conditions. They also practice herbal medicine and acupuncture, which can also be extremely helpful.

All these therapies will help to stimulate your body to help its own inate healing processes, which we all have in us.

You should also consider Craniosacral Therapy treatment which could also be extremely helpful too. It is very gentle and yet very powerful.

Good luck

Closed Thread