It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #16

maggie39 HB User
Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

[url]http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/index.htm[/url]
I found that my IBS was actually fructose intolerance (this is an inability to digest frustose sugar... similar to lactose intolerance). After 10 years of "IBS" I am now completely free of symtoms.
This is a good site to start with (although some of the foods on the diet list are not accurate), but do a google search on "fructose intolerance IBS" and you'll find a lot more info.
Oh, PS - this is primarily for people with diarhea as their main symptom rather than constipation.

Last edited by maggie39; 07-22-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketrbc
I am looking for ways to Combat my Symptoms with IBS. (Have had for about 5 plus years)..I Leave a Location to go to another location which can be 3 miles and upwards, and I have to use (2 Amodium Advanced tablets plus 2 Rollaids. This feeling of pressure/gas in stomach and the feeling I will have an accident os with me. I encourage any HELP anyone can provide me. (Seems to be a Mind game too!!) If I am close to a bathroom I usually can handle the situation..HELP.........Lee
my husband dealt with his IBS of long standing (it worsened over the past year, to the point where he had to take an imodium b/f going to an interview and then still have an accident after, on the way home) by taking three packets of an insoluble fibre per day ... he'd been taking two for many years and suffering, and then just went up to three a couple of months ago and hola! it worked!!

hope this helps ..

jb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #18
(male)

Boi776 HB User

How do you know if you have IBS? I need to know from people in this board if i have it or not. I have diarrhea with almost anything i eat, especially when i eat out. Actually everytime i eat out i get diarrhea. My stomach is really sensitive to most things. Milk also gives me the burning runs. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Bacteria may cause IBS -- an interesting article and research!!

[url]http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/story.php?id=10460[/url]

Old 10-24-2004, 07:02 PM   #20

cbedi HB User

I read a great book, What your doctor may not tell you about IBS by Richard N Ash, MD and then went to visit a nautropath dr. She took an hour and a half to question me, my symptoms, my diet and prescribe a path to a healthier life. I had already cut dairy out of me diet as that was an obvious trigger for me. Now I have cut out gluten, caffiene and alcohol for a two week period detox. I am already feeling the difference. A blood test is available to determine food allergies, but was to costly for me at this time. The other recommendations the doctor gave to me were to: drink herbal teas (fresh, green leaf) at least 3 times a day, peppermint or camomile, at least 8 glasses of water a day, acidolphlus - one tsp a day, and to massage my stomach with a peppermint oil mixed into nivea (or a similar based lotion) for 5 mintues a day, in a clockwise circular motion. Now, you symptoms might be triggered by something else, but you can take steps to change this. I have a friend who refused to change her diet and give up her favorite foods for two weeks. If we take control, we can get better. Research and take action.

Last edited by cbedi; 10-24-2004 at 07:03 PM.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:48 AM   #21
(female)

dbaum HB User
Question Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

I hear a lot about soluble fiber helping IBS. If I use something like Citrucel, should I be taking more than the recommended dosage?

Last edited by dbaum; 10-27-2004 at 04:08 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The fiber that works for diarrhea as well as constipation is psyllium seed husk that is in Metamucil. I don't know if Citrucel works as a bulking agent for diarrhea-- I have never used it.

But, the recommened dose is usually all you need.
A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly and it should be balanced between soluble and insoluble fiber!!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I am having intestinal pains off and on as we speak. What do you take for that? When the pains come on, oh boy...LOOK out! It feels like labor pains! Can this be caused by over eating? I thought it was due to eating good and then eating a hambugar and greasy fries because it came on shortly after that. Is Mylanta good for it or Nexium?

Old 11-10-2004, 01:59 AM   #24
(female)

dbaum HB User

Believe it or not I am having very good luck using Digestive Advantage for IBS plus Citrucel. The best part is the product is an OTC drug. It's wonderful and it I have not had any problems since I started this combination.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #25

Crimson0087 HB User

I hear about all these people taking Fiber pills and stuff but cant i just eat more fruits and vegetables and that be just as good?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson0087
I hear about all these people taking Fiber pills and stuff but cant i just eat more fruits and vegetables and that be just as good?
b/c some ppl need more fruits/veggies/whole wheat than they can poss. eat -- esp. insoluble fibre... you're on the right track tho -- ppl should eat more fruits/veggies/whole wheat ...

jb

Old 02-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly and it needs to be divided between soluble and insoluble fiber.

Soluble fiber bulks up your stool with fluid and sorta cleans out your colon. and insoluble causes you to have stools but thinner. Fiber is in all grains, fruit and veggies.
There is no fiber in all meat, seafood or dairy products. Also these days with all the process foods available most fiber is just not there--

It is a good idea to make sure you get enough water soluble fiber daily like psyllium -- it makes you regular w/o straining.

Peace---Harry

Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(male)

Post Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Anything that you think violates board Posting Policy should be reported to the Moderators listed at the bottom of each page.
Just send them an Email
moderator4 email address is:

[email]HBmoderator4@msn.com[/email]

Last edited by moderator4; 12-19-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Hi Harry, I joined HealthBoards to find support for my husband's lung cancer and now find myself looking at other issues. IBS affects me directly. I was first diagnosed with it back in 1986 when I was 27- IBS was practically unheard of. The last 18 yrs of dealing with it and learning what works and what doesn't. I don't know if this will help people, but this has been my experince.
Avoid:
Gas-producing foods: (ie: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage).
Fruit preservatives. I found out that in trying to eat right at buffets, I ate canteloupe, watermelon, pineapple and they regularly doused the fruit with preservatives to keep them fresh for hours.
MSG - I am a huge fan of oriental cuisine, but found out to my dismay that MSG or other flavor enhancers are used widely. That explained why typically I had uncontrollable diarhhea and colon cramps about 1 hour after eating at my favorite Chinese buffet.
Alcohol-I didn't believe this but it took me several years to figure it out. I was not a beer drinker, but loved wine. I have since stopped drinking all together. Made a BIG difference.
Greasy foods. I thought spicy foods would affect me, but I can eat really hot foods and be OK, but eat a piece of fried chicken and be in big trouble.
Drastic changes in temperature (especially in the summer going from outdoor hot and humid to cold, air-conditioned interior).
Letting yourself get dehydrated. Drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water a day is a must. I tended to get so busy that I would forget to replenish my fluids during the day. The doctor told me that when the body starts running low on fluids, it starts taking it back from two main sources - colon, and sinuses. I have always had problems with both.
restrictive clothing. Extra-tight pants/jean, pantyhose, girdles, etc. Go for comfort and allow yourself just a little bit of breathing room, just in case you encounter one of those sudden bouts of unexpected IB.

I hope some of these tips prove helpful for someone else. In the meantime, good luck in your effort to provide resources to many.

Rockie

Old 06-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #30

Drea HB User
Thumbs up Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Hi, Harry, great information as usual. May I add that with the new yogurts, you can now get probiotic bifidus in yogurt? Activia & Yoplait are the two I have found that offer bifidus altho I have not been able to find Activia in low fat as yet, perhaps it is in bigger centers. I just want to say also, because of your help I can eat almost all dairy without symptoms. Thanks so much!!!! Restaurants and parties are no longer scary!

Last edited by Drea; 06-04-2005 at 05:47 AM.

Closed Thread