It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2000, 01:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Thumbs up Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Hi,
I am trying to create an Infomation Archive so a person can just click on for information that is available for people with IBS:

[url]http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0497web/gastro1.html[/url]

This is a good article from Johns Hopkins magazine. Feel free to add to this thread. Just make sure the addition doesn't contain advertising and follow the Posting Policy.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 08-14-2001).]

Last edited by moderator4; 12-19-2007 at 09:49 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
losingxhope (11-11-2011)
Old 02-21-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

Yogurt with L. Acidophilus helps re-establish or keeps in balance your good intestinal bacteria(Flora).

Water soluble fiber absorbs water--makes your colon expand and function properly. Your Gastro Intestinal tract NEEDS FIBER to operate!!! A normal person really needs a combination of both soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber works to control constipation just as well as diarrhea. Insoluble fiber has a tendency to give me diarrhea--- things such as nuts, wheat bran, cauliflower. Psyllium seed husk that is the active ingredient in Metamucil, Konsyl, Equate(Wal Mart brand) and others--- is water soluble. Just make sure you drink enough water when taking it. It is a natural fiber so it does breakdown by intestinal bacteria, ferments and causes some gas when you first start using it. But --that soon goes away with continued use for most people.

All meat, seafood and dairy products contain NO Fiber.

Insoluble fiber makes your intestines contact to move digested food along and out. All fruit and veggies are insoluble. Also, nuts, seeds, the outer parts of grains, beans and peas.
Soluble fiber that absorbs fluids and bulks up your stool is all the root veggies--- like potatoes , sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips, and Inulin that is chicory root. Also the inner part of all grains, beans and peas. The water solublble fiber supplements like psyllium, Citrucel, Benifiber, Fiber Choice.

Fibercon is considered an insoluble fiber.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 04-30-2002).]

Last edited by moderator4; 12-19-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2002, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Here's one more official website for the list: [url="http://www.aboutibs.org"]www.aboutibs.org[/url]

Cheers, Raju.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you are on antibiotics for your stomach, remember to take some Acidophilus caps with them too, though at different times and on an empty stomach. The antiboitics will kill off alot of your good intestinal bacteria and could make your stomach worse. At least the Acidophilus will afford you some protection.

Celiac Sprue is a problem with breaking down and absorbing gluten that is present in wheat, barley, oats and rye. This is normally diagnosed via a blood test and an endoscopy to look into the small intestine. A biopsy is taken from here and that will be positve too. If you eat gluten, this will damage the villi of the small intestine, but once you cut out gluten, the damage resolves and it means that you will have to eat a gluten free diet for the rest of your life.

Celiac disease can cause symptoms such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, weight loss and just a general feeling of lethargy and of being unwell.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-20-2004 at 08:29 PM.

Old 01-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Arrow

Lactbacillus Acidophilus is a live active culture that has to get to your intestines to colonizes and work. It is destroyed by stomach acids so should be taken on an empty stomach so that more can survive the getting through the stomach. THat would be the time you have less stomach acids.

It should also be stored in the refrigerator because heat will also kill it.

Old 01-19-2003, 03:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I can't really see that increased fiber and acidophilus can give you back ache and cause you to swell, unless you are not drinking enough water and you are getting constipated.

Try cutting down on both a little and seeing if it improves. Also, increase your water intake.

Old 01-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Darlene,

Whole wheat is also included --- it contains gluten that alot of people do not digest well.

I think you should not take peppermint unless it is enteric coated---it can irritate your stomach in a liquid form.
There is not any connection with feet swelling and taking fiber and acidophilus--- they just help your digestion and give you better BMs.

Too much salt can produce water retention. You know I have that problem if I eat too much pizza---It's just too salty for me!!!
Also, poor circulation can cause both swelling and some back pain ---are you getting enough exercise in this cold weather???

God Bless --- Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-11-2003).]

Old 01-19-2003, 09:29 AM   #8

darpinky HB User
thanks Harry

I was thinking that whole wheat was the whole grain.. but ok.. what do you do for bread? rye bread for toast don't sound too good.

The peppermint has peppermint 180 mg, rosemay 16 mg and thyme 16 mg.
The pills are enteric coated softgel.

I don't eat salt. The only salt I get is in prepared stuff like bread etc. I never cook with it either.

Sarah

I drink alot of water now. I am drinking at least 8 - 10 glasses a day, I can't see how I could drink more.
I spend half my time in the bathroom between the pee'ing and bm's. I'm in the bathroom at least every 2 hrs, that includes sleeping time as well.

thanks guys for the suggestions.
any more ideas are great

Darlene

Old 02-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #9

Drea HB User
I found these things on the internet:

To grow and sustain healthy bones, people ages 9 and older should get 1,000 to 1,300 milligrams of calcium a day. Children less than 9 years old need varying amounts of calcium up to 800 milligrams a day.

{I found the information I was looking for, the updated calcium requirements:

It is recommended that adults 19 - 50 years get 1,000 mg/day calcium and 1,500 mg/day for those over 50.
Getting enough calcium and vitamin D are key to the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
This from a registered dietitian in February 2003 Reader's Digest.}

A diet lacking in calcium can cause serious problems in later years without exhibiting any symptoms previously.

The best way to get calcium is through dairy products, leafy greens and canned salmon with the bones left in. One cup of plain yogurt has 450 milligrams of calcium, one cup of milk has 300 milligrams and one ounce of cheddar cheese has 205 milligrams of calcium.

Consumers should consult with their physicians before taking calcium supplements, McLaurin said. Individual calcium needs vary and some forms of calcium are more easily absorbed for some people.

Unlike many vitamins and minerals, people rarely have problems from too much calcium. However, calcium supplements taken in wrong doses can potentially interfere with other mineral absorption, result in calcium toxicity, aid the formation of kidney stones and lead to constipation and excess gas.

- I found this on a site by Mississippi State University Office of Agricultural Communications

Age (years) Calcium (mg per day)

1-3 500 mg

4-8 800 mg

9-18 1,300 mg

19-50 1,000 mg

51+ 1,200 mg {1,500 mg according to Reader's Digest Feb 2003}

Pregnant and Lactating Women 1,300 mg

Many cereals and breads have added calcium; check the labels. Another good choice is fruit juice fortified with calcium. An 8-ounce glass of calcium-fortified apple juice has 100 mg of calcium; fortified orange juice or grapefruit juice has between 300 and 350 mg. Soy milk, a protein-rich drink made from pressed cooked soybeans, doesn't provide a significant amount of calcium, but you can buy a calcium-fortified version. And while regular tofu is a respectable source, calcium-processed tofu is even better; check the label to see which type you're getting.

• Include a calcium-rich food at every meal. If you're relying on diet alone to get enough of the mineral, be sure to eat at least one calcium-packed food at each meal. The body can absorb only about 500 mg of calcium at a time, so the most effective strategy is to take in calcium-rich foods throughout the day.

- Healthy Me - Blue Cross/Blue Shield Massachussetts [url="http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calcium"]http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calcium[/url]

Yogurt is an excellent source of calcium.
8 oz. of an average nonfat yogurt provides 300 mg of calcium
8 oz. of an average whole milk yogurt provides 288 mg of calcium

1 cup milk: 300mg

1 ounce cheese: 213 mg

2/3 cup spinach: 89 mg

2/3 cup peanuts and skins: 69 mg

3 1/2 ounces of broccoli: 130 mg

3 1/2 ounces of kale: 187 mg

3 1/2 ounces of almonds: 254 mg

3 1/2 ounces of canned sardines
with bones: 300 - 437 mg

3 1/2 ounces of cottage cheese: 94 mg

- from Stoneyfield Farm

I hope this is helpful.

[This message has been edited by Drea (edited 02-23-2003).]

Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wink

Drea,

When this new board was first started -- I Posted this Topic with the intention of Making it "An Informational Archive" that relates to IBS suffers and their problems.

Calcuim is a subject that keeps coming up because of its natural calming as well as tranquilizing effects on the body as well as the Gastro system.
Thanks for posting your meaningful message. Now I know where to find it!!!
I know this topic will helped alot of people in the future.

The viewer counter has been reset to 0 several times from the hundreds.

Harry

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 02-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #11

Drea HB User
Harry, You are welcome, I am glad you like what I had found. I believe there is an update to the amount of calcium required by age, and if I find it, I will make that change. Calcium is so important too, because a lot of us are not eating enough milk products and bones tend to leech calcium at a certain age if it isn't supplemented. Thanks, Harry

Old 02-15-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lightbulb

The subject keeps coming up what are the symptoms for IBS. As most of know the diagnoses is not used the same everywhere in the world so I thought I post The symptoms here!!!

Rome Diagnostic Criteria: IBS

An international group of health care professionals as well as professioals that were researching gastrointestinal disorders including IBS met in Rome, Italy to come up with the diagnostic criteria for all GI conditions. They came up with symptoms for all Gastro disorders and classified each problem. The literature says they did it by researching published reports, studies and the agreement by the group.
All of their work was published in a book: "The Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders" edited by Dr.Douglas A Drossman, MD and published by Little, Brown and Co.(Boston) in 1994. It is known as the Rome Criteria and has been updated since then by a Proffessional group and is called the Rome II Criteria.

It is well known and published around the World . All gartro functioal problems/ disorders are covered from swallowing, heartburn, nausea, belching, gas, rectal & anus pain, diarrhea, constipation and the list goes on including IBS.

This is the Rome Diagnostic Criteria for Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS):

At least 3 months of recurring or chronic symptoms:

1.Abdominal discomfort (that is mostly in the lower abdomen) AND IS:
a. Relieved by a Bowel Movement AND/OR

b. Associated with a change in
freguency of Bowel Movements
AND/OR

c. Associated with stool
consistency---harder or softer
AND

2. Two or more of the following list at least 1/4 of the days or occassions:

a. Change in BM frequency---
"frequency" means more than 3 BMs a day or less than 3 BMs each week---

b. Passing white mucus with a BM-

c. Bloating or feeling of fullness or distention---

d. Altered BM consistency -watery, loose, hard or lumpy stools----

e. Change in Bowel Movements such as straining, incomplete emptying feeling after BM, having to rush to the bathroom---

A good diagnose can help alot of people deal with the problem-- just knowing that it's not cancer, or some other life threatening problem often brings reassureance and has a beneficial effect often positive effect.

There are many good books written about IBS but my favorite is: "Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the mind- body brain- gut Connection" by Dr.William B.Salt, MD. It outlines 8 steps for living with a funtional bowel disorder or colitis.

Old 02-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Alot of people are often misdiagnose with IBS when they are Gluten intolerant. Gluten is contained in foods and products that contain wheat, oats, barley and rye. You can have a blood test for gluten intolerance.

A good information web site is: [url="http://www.romecriteria.org/reading1.html"]http://www.romecriteria.org/reading1.html[/url]

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 02-22-2003).]

Old 07-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #14

Drea HB User
Just a quick thanks to all those who share and especially to Harry, Sarah & Lil Red Chevy. I have learned so much in this forum, just wanted to let you guys know how much I and others appreciate your sharing of knowledge.

I see the same questions over & over again, a lot of these could be answered by reading this thread. Good luck to everyone.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #15

suzi47cmt HB User
Re: Worth Reading for IBS'ers

Quote Deleted

Hi Harry, Thanks for the info I have crohns disease for 30+ years and just recently began receiving SSDI,after trying for over year to get approved. anyhoo, I find that when having a "flare-up" that rice and plain broiled or baked chicken breast without skin , really helps, even it I have to eat it for a week or more. I wonder how many people on this board also have crohns.

Thanks again Harry

Last edited by moderator4; 01-02-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Closed Thread