It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 11:36 AM   #1

computergirlokc HB User
Red face IBS & Female Problems - Related????

Do any other ladies notice that their IBS acts up around "that time"? Right before my time, I usually have similar symptoms as with the IBS, cramping, loose stools and pain a few days before I start. Recently though, I haven't had a period in about 4 months or so and I'm really concerned I have something else going and maybe its not just IBS. I have an appointment with yet ANOTHER doctor next week but I am so frustrated of being sick all the time. My GI doctor didn't run any tests on me and I've changed my eating habits like she recommended with no changes in the IBS. I am ALWAYS tired and lethargic. I've already been tested for anemia and that is not it. Can anyone help me? Or give me any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Basically, IBS can and will become worse before your period because it is due to the changing levels of your hormones during this time. Progesterone has an effect on the smooth muscle tissue of the gut and can make IBS symptoms worse before periods.

What blood tests did your doctor do? It is just that they can test for anemia with you Hb, which could well be normal, however, if your Ferritin levels are low - these are your iron stores, then you will still feel weak and tired all the time.

It might be worth your while taking some Vitamin B complex for a while to help you get over this and give your iron stores a boost. Also, ensure you eat a good all round and balanced diet to help and drink plenty of water too.

You should consider taking some Acidophilus capsules too, to re-colonise your gut flora. This should help the symptoms of any diarrhea, gas and bloating.

Stay away from coffee and soda too at this time and try to cut down on salt, as this encourages water retention and can make you bloated.

Hope this helps?

[This message has been edited by Sarah68 (edited 10-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
My Dr told me that before the period is very bad for IBS. I have found that its true.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #4

babyjd HB User
I have to say that it seems like the only time I have ibs is right around my periods. Im wondering if I was to not get periods anymore that would solve my problem. Im thinking that if I take the pill to stop my periods that may help. Im 33 and have been suffering for about 10 years. Im desperate to try anything at this point. Im going to the doctor this tuesday. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 AM   #5

bellytrouble HB User
Babybuttjd ... I am on the pill and it has NO bearing on IBSD ... I still got it. The only thing that has really helped is I started taking Acidophilus after it was suggested on this board. So far so good for 1.5 months. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #6

babyjd HB User
Thanks for replying bellytrouble. The last time I was at the gyno for a check-up my doctor suggested taking the pill continuously and not get my period at all. Not because of the diarrhea but because of my bad periods. But Im wondering if that would also work with the diarrhea. Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM   #7

babyjd HB User
bellytrouble just wanted to let you know that I just ran out tonight and bought that acidophilus product from the health store. I popped one tonight so I will let you know how it goes. I also bought some vitamin B. Im tired alot and I heard on the board that this will help. So we'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated. And thanks for the advice.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:43 AM   #8

bellytrouble HB User
babyjd: good luck .. the acidophilus didn't work right away .. it took about 3 weeks to kick in. I started with one in the AM first thing with some cranberry juice and one as soon as I got home from work ... always on an empty stomach. I now just take it in the AM. Good luck and I hope it gives you some relief. As far as being on the pill 365 days a year, I've never heard of that for cramps. Maybe a different pill ? Im on Yasmine which is pretty new according to my Dr. and it contains a water pill as well so less bloating. Don't give up hope !!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-10-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 PM   #9

computergirlokc HB User
Thanks for the replies....its really great to talk to other people who go through the same thing. People try to be understanding but unless you experience this people really have no idea. I read some other info from other sufferers on this and other sites who were misdiagnosed, a few ended up having endometriosis. That kinda scared me since I have been having female problems so I made an appointment with my doctor. I went today and had more tests done to figure out the problem with my periods and to find out if maybe this is related to my stomach problems. I go back in 2 weeks to find out my results...I hope they can give me some kind of answer.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #10

babyjd HB User
I read that the when the lining in your uterus builds up it can push on your bowels causing diarhea. It was called uterus retroflexion. Im just wondering if I even have ibs. My mom is 55 and my sister is 34 and they both just recently had a hysterectomy. They both had suffered from bad cramping, migraines, back pain, moodiness, diarhea. My mom had her surgery two months ago and has had NO diarhea. And my sister has been d free for a month. They both suffered from bad gas, as well as I. They are both free from that also. I have an appt. tomorrow with a primary dr but Im cancelling and making one with my gyno. We all have the same gyno so he will be able to look at our family history. I will keep everyone updated. Please keep me informed also. You have all helped tremendously. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-10-2004 at 02:31 PM. Reason: do not mention the names of websites

Old 10-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #11

babyjd HB User
I forgot to mention that when my sister went to the gyno because of her bad periods her test results concluded that she had severe endometriosis and scarring. My mom had five fibroid tumors. One was the size of an apple. Not to scare anyone out there but just to inform. Please keep posting. Thanks again.

Closed Thread