It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #1

wendypicnic HB User
Post Is this "constipated oriented" IBS?

Hi,
Here's my scenario. The pattern is pretty constant. if anyone has a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you, especially regarding my questions at the end.

I go 3-5 days with either only 1 small morning stool or none at all. Then on day 4 or 5, I go and go and go! About 5-7 times, within a 2-4 hour period of really crampy (lower center abdomen) stools with chills and feeling yukky! Oddly the first stool is harder and bulkier, and the rest are formed, but soft, thin and flattish; almost snakelike. The cramps are very intense. By the second and third "goings" the bowl is filled. In between stools, the cramps stop...then start up again until all is done. Then I don't eat till dinner as in have no appetite and feel drained and sore.

I discovered when I ate breakfast, solid food like toast, the cramps were worse, and often, during the last two stools I sometimes vomited,mostly acid, even though those last stools were really small.

During this 2-4 hour time frame, when stools were not running through me I'd get breaks and feel better. I'd get set to go somewhere, but the cramps would kick in again, so now I make no morning plans, until my "event" is over.

Also, sometimes I get a real sharp pain, not a cramp, in my lower left quad. I thought it was diverticulitis, as I do have "osis" but when the 4 hour attack is over, the left pain subsides. (I have no left ovary).

I have begun to see that if I eat no solid food in the AM, and stop my morning tea or coffee the minute my attack starts, I have less of an attack.

Also, I take 2 Solgar acidophilus and eat Stonyfield Yogurt, and am now drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

I am thinking that if I can get my bowels to move daily, then I won't go through this misery. I am considering metamucil, but am scared by the package disclaimer that you can choke on it (???). Also, is flax seed considered the same kind of seed that people with diverticulitis should avoid?

Anyone out there with any advice?

Thanks for listening!
Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Wendy
Your intestines have to have fiber for them to function properly and produce normal BMs. Just take Metamucil like it says on the container. ---And drink enough water.

Start off slow because being a digestable fiber it will break and produce gas. The Gas will go away with continued use as your body gets use to it.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

I have posted this type of reply somewhere else.
It is something I am learning as I go. IBS has changing symptoms and you need to treat yourself accordingly. If you are having D symptoms eat foods with more bulk such as bananas, rice, and PROTEIN foods. Sip, don't chug the water. Stay away from things that may tear up your innards, such as milk products and nuts, among others.

I have found that if I eat to treat my symptoms as well as keep a lot of over the counter meds handy such as Gas X (simethicone only)for bloating, Immodium Advanced(for D symptoms) and FiberCon (for C symptoms)that really helps. I eat grits, fiber bread, fiber cereal etc. when feeling C, and slower to digest foods when having D. Eventually my system calms down and I stay ok for awhile.

I have found protein foods to be very effective for controlling D symptoms. I have no idea why.

good luck

Closed Thread