It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 06:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
Smile IBS can be an intestinal yeast infection in disguise

For those who have IBS, does taking acidophillis help? If so, could you possibly have a Candida (yeast) problem instead of IBS?

I'm researching this more and more and am coming to the conclusion that I have a yeast problem. I lived in a mold infested apartment for almost 2 years, which can cause fungal infections, like yeast... and yeast can make a person think they have IBS. Also I had a vaginal yeast infection for weeks over the summer... which can be an indication of Crohn's diseas... but why is that? Because Crohn's is actually a yeast problem?!? Makes you wonder.

The key symptom to most cases of intestinal yeast is pain in the transverse section of the large instesting... which is your right side. It starts where your appendix is and moves up to the ribcage.

There are a few programs out there to fight this, and if anyone has tried one, please let me know how it went

Old 10-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

I have spoken to a few doctors about the "candida connection" and they claimed it was not really a thing and these unliscenced doctors are making all this money off people who think they have it.

However, I have wondered myself if I too have this intestinal yeast thing if it is a real disorder. I had a diet full of sugar for many years when I was younger with no fiber veggies fruits or basically any nutrition whatsoever. Then I was on the Pill and antibiotics as well. I have gotten many many yeast infections over the years. I probably damaged my system from eating so badly. But if the yeast connection is real, I hear it is hard to get rid of.

I too am wondering if anyone has ever actually been diagnosed or treated for intestinal yeast?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I believe yeast is a big problem. The problem with doctors is there is no test for yeast infections in the GI tract.

Yeast thrives on sugar and simple carbs. So, if you cut off the food supple -- the yeast will die-off. There are many books written about the diet you have to go on and the remedies you can take.

If you can get yeast infections in your mouth, vagina, under your nails them ---I really don't know why you can't get it in the rest of your body. Maybe some day they'll have a test. 10 years ago Doctors thought ulcers were caused by stress until H.pylori was proved to cause 85 % of them.

A 1999 study at The Mayo clinic concluded that chronic sinusitis IS caused by fungus ---96 % of the time. There were 40 different fungi Identified--- many are just yeast by a different name.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
Talking

I spoke to my gastrointerologist and there is a stool test for it... or rather, for an overabundance of it. He told me that until he sees that, he doesn't treat it. If there is a positive test result for yeast, he prescribes Diflucan, or something like it. So it IS real. He said that milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, buttermilk, are all good for fighting yeast. I also read that caprylic acid kills yeast quickly. You can get that in suppliments, or just start cooking with coconut oil. The important thing you have to remember is that your body has yeast all the time, and its the immune system that keeps in check. If you cut out all sugar and fruit and carbs, you may be weakening your immune system. I would eliminate refines sugar from your diet anyway... its not good for IBS, and cut out carbs after lunch. The people of eastern Europe live a long time and its suspected that its because they use yogurt as a staple food. Something to think about.

Sometimes vaginal yeast can be caused by yeast in the colon. I had a yeast infection all summer that I couldn't get rid of, until my Dr suggested that it might only be on the outside... and she was right. That led me to think that it was caused from yeast in my colon.

I lived in an apartment with mold for almost 2 years, and that can cause fungus and yeast in the body. I always had a sinus problem, and that leads to yeast. Something else to think about.

Old 10-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

I too have been recently suffering from sinus problems within the last yearalong with the IBS and other health problems.

While I have cut out a lot of sugar in my diet, I still eat quite a significant amount. I am a "sugar addict" I remember as a kid, my mom restricted all sugar from my diet and was a health nut. I was never a good eater and remember having dreams about candy bars falling from the sky. When I was older I would steal coins from her purse and go buy some 10 cent candies from the store. I have always craved sugar and bread.

I absolutely could see myself becoming very stressed and unhappy without my daily dose of sugar. Is there any way to break this sugar addiction? Are there any supplements that will curb the cravings? How much sugar is OK?

Also, I tried Caprylic acid a few years ago. Did not notice any difference. I quit drinking milk as well and felt fine(in the gut) for about 2 or 3 months but developed bad colds. I have taken so many things, such as enzymes, acidopholis, homeopothy, etc. etc.

What else can I do? I can not afford a doctor right now.

Thank you

Old 10-18-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

NickName HB User
Instead of sugar, try meat. That may sound odd, but a lot of people mistake a craving for protein as a craving for sugar. Or if you MUST have something sweet, switch to fruit instead of refined sugar.

I sympathise, since I grew up on sugar. I just try not to have it around. My need to snack is overwhelming at times, and I just drink a V8 or eat nuts... and that seems to help. Now when I do eat refined sugar, I feel really sluggish.

Old 10-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Inactive

mrps HB User
harry pointed out a really fascinating study ---- the one from the mayo clinic that identifies yeast as a cause of sinusitis. it seems that these researchers/doctors have been killing people for years with antibiotics when they should have been giving them antifungals. it is 4 years later and most of them still cling to their old ways. DON'T TRUST YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! snails make more progress than them.

however, it is not that simple. the mayo clinic study suggests that some of us are born with a genetic inability to "handle" yeast. therefore some of us can have only slightly elevated levels but experience problems.

some of us who have CFIDS or something simialr --- even chronic, sustained stress---- may have extreme difficulty controlling this persistant little critter. also, not all of it is candida some might be aspergillus.

then to make things more complicated ---the mayo clinic study proves how incredibly difficult it is for the medical profession to even FIND the yeast let alone identify it. the mayo clinic probably spent $1000's to get their results. But our insurance companies will not allow this type of detailed analysis and culturing.

chronically ill people will usually have yeast in their blood. a simple darkfield microscope will reveal this quite nicely. seeing is believing no matter what the evil dr steven barrett has to say about it. the eyes don't lie.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #8

adso HB User
Yeast Infections are exactly what I have been investigating this last month (as a cause of IBS). Id never thought much of it, but for most of my life, my stomach has blown out after eating, all my friends would point out my 'food belly'.

My partner works in disability care, and yeast infections are a big issue, especially with autistic children, who have a lot of issues with food sensitivities. There is a clinic here in Sydney, that does a basic candida test, checking for 'Candida specific antibiodies', which according to them, picks up any candida infection within the last 3 weeks. The test costs next to nothing, $33 AUS (or $16 US).

Its true that we all have candida/yeast in our bodies, but it never becomes an issue for most people. Its suppose to sit in your stomach/bowels.

Personally im fairly content that this is what I have, I have all the Symptoms; but they have been bought to a head lately, as I have suddenly begun getting allergic skin reactions (hives), to the point where they have now been persistent every day for over 3 months. They are present regardless of my environment or what I eat/drink.

The stumbling block ive found, is exactly what is the correct procedure for correcting the inbalance, there are a number of treatments available, but Im not sure which to trust, since most websites have a personal interest in recommending certain products. Cutting out Sugar & Yeast is a big start, but seriously, Sugar&Yeast is present in just about everything, in particular for drinking. I have perhaps 3L of Water every day, but I need something with flavour too, and every drink has sugar in it, cordials, juices & softdrinks. Granted some are worse than others. Beer is ruled out with yeast, leaving perhaps tea&coffee, although caffeine should be avoided too.

It would be easier to introduce more fruit/veg into the diet, but most of my IBS triggers are fruits & vegetables, so I am literally too scared to eat many plain salads anymore, as the taste reminds me of some of my most painful IBS attacks.

Rest assured, if I find a treatment/diet that works over the next few months, ill post it back here on the board...

Old 10-31-2003, 03:14 PM   #9

adso HB User
Oh..and I agree with mrps, most of us with IBS already know that doctors advice is useful, we can learn from what they have to say, but 'a' medical opinion isnt gospel.

Doctors are excellent in most common medical areas, and some are open to new ideas, but if you start challenging years of somebodies medical training & professional experience; you would expect them to become defensive.

This is human nature, when someone questions a subject that goes against information you held as gospel; you're not jumping out of your skin to listen....to accept that what you knew and practiced could be completely incorrect. I am exactly the same way professionally, and im only 25.

My point being! That IBS/Gut related matters are a very grey area and the medical world doesnt really have a proper answer yet. As a result, neither does your local GP, he may have an opinion, he might just dismiss the idea, it just depends on his own experiences.

Which is why (I believe) most of us are here trying to diagnose ourselves, by pulling on a much larger pool of practical experience (i.e. Eachother).

Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #10
(female)

debdaniel HB User
Yes!!!!

I posted earlier about YEAST IN BOWELS. I have suffered for over 20 years with IBS. But the pain and loose stools had become so bad that I could not leave my house and be away from a bathroom. I have been seeing the GI doc for several months. He did a stool sample and said I have an overabundance of yeast. I have always suffered considerably with vaginal yeast. Now, he has put me on a liquid that I am to take 3 times per day for this yeast. THis has been for a week. I am seeing a big difference. I even went to a college football game and did not go to the restroom during the game! Then I went ou to eat. This was always a disaster - before. The color and texture of BM's is different. Instead of orange/yellow, they are actually dark. I found it hard to believe until I have began to see the difference.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #11

ker1079 HB User
[FONT=Arial]
I think this might be the case. With me I have been suffering with a odd unknown vaginal discharge for about five months. I swear that it is yeast. Although when it is cultured it comes out negative for yeast. Can this be because there is not enough of it to yield a positive result? Regardless, none of the yeast related meds help it (an no it is not another std). Now it seems that I am having problmes with IBS as well. Really bad problems ( like i don't want to leave the house). I really think there is a correlation here.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:06 AM   #12

adso HB User
I dont know whether there is a correlation between vaginal yeast infections and the stomach yeast infection known as a 'candida-infection'.

What is the liquid he put you on btw?

Theres a bunch of products out there for Candida, but Id like to hear a real persons review of a product instead of the vendors sales pitch.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:21 AM   #13
(female)

debdaniel HB User
Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by adso
I dont know whether there is a correlation between vaginal yeast infections and the stomach yeast infection known as a 'candida-infection'.

What is the liquid he put you on btw?

Theres a bunch of products out there for Candida, but Id like to hear a real persons review of a product instead of the vendors sales pitch.

He put me on Nystatin

Old 11-05-2003, 02:47 PM   #14
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Hi Ker,

What colour is the discharge, and has your doctor suggested an alternative possible reason for the discharge?

- Raju -

Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #15

Galejolly HB User
Smile Re: IBS can be an intestinal yeast infection in disguise

I'm new on the board and could use some help please. I have been fighting a yeast infection for the third time in one month. I also have bacterial vaginosis is what the test showed for the second time around. I have been taking Metrogel at night this time around since the Flagyl didn't kill it off the first time. I have had slight burning in my stomach and up my chest...which comes and goes during the day and night. They did a Upper Gi on me to see what the problem might be...since I had adverse reactions to both of the acid reflux medications I was put on. I'm off the acid reflux medications since the Upper Gi didn't show any signs of trouble or acid reflux. I was also given a diabetes test and that was negative. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be???? Or any advice to stop the YEAST & BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS from happening again after I finish my medications this time????? I have been dealing with IBS since I was 21 years old...I'm now 48 and still dealing with it. I'm also wondering if yeast also has something to do with all my problems??????Thank you

Last edited by Galejolly; 08-04-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to add I have IBS

Closed Thread