It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Posts: 1
robbij HB User
what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

what foods can I actually eat with IBS?
I've been diagnosed with IBS. Just did web-research, and everything makes sense. Ufortunately, everything I like to eat, including the foods that are good for me (the veggies I like), are on the DO NOT EAT list. I'm going to starve. My favorite food is pizza, but I'm sure I can be okay with not eating it, but the vegies? What vegies can I eat without causing the nastiness? Are there any veggies that might not do harm with IBS?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 185
KD86 HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

I am by no means an IBS expert, but I can tell you something from experience.

I have had IBS for a year now and can tell you that I haven't had to completely cut out all the foods I love. The only thing is that I have to be very careful about how much I eat and when I eat them. I have found that with IBS it is a game to see what you can eat a lot of, what you can eat in moderation, and what you have to be very careful with. I have found that I can eat certain foods seperatly, but when I eat them together I am so screwed. There have been times when my symptoms have gotten very bad and I can look back and say "should not have eaten that"

Everyone with IBS is different due to their symptoms and the severity of them. Like I said I am no expert, but in my experience I have learned to be careful with what I eat. May I suggest a food diary of sorts to keep track of the foods you eat, the time of day, and symptoms (if any). That, for me, is the best way to see what is causing the symptoms.

Good luck
KD

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)
 
MountainReader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Out West
Posts: 3,762
MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

I'm fairly new to IBS too. I was officially diagnosed last October. It really is an individual thing. For a starting poing, here is the list my GI doc gave me:

Avoid: greasy, fatty and fried foods, spicy foods, onions, peppers, tomato based products, all raw fruits and vegetables (especially lettuce), chocolate, caffeine drinks (including coffee, tea, colas), alcohol, nicotine, all dairy products.

Take: at least 35 g. of fiber daily, fiber supplements (Metamucil, Fibercon, Citrucel), enteric coated peppermint tablets (2/day), chamomile tea, probiotics.

 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockford Illinois
Posts: 9
Blkqwn7 HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD86 View Post
I am by no means an IBS expert, but I can tell you something from experience.

I have had IBS for a year now and can tell you that I haven't had to completely cut out all the foods I love. The only thing is that I have to be very careful about how much I eat and when I eat them. I have found that with IBS it is a game to see what you can eat a lot of, what you can eat in moderation, and what you have to be very careful with. I have found that I can eat certain foods seperatly, but when I eat them together I am so screwed. There have been times when my symptoms have gotten very bad and I can look back and say "should not have eaten that"

Everyone with IBS is different due to their symptoms and the severity of them. Like I said I am no expert, but in my experience I have learned to be careful with what I eat. May I suggest a food diary of sorts to keep track of the foods you eat, the time of day, and symptoms (if any). That, for me, is the best way to see what is causing the symptoms.

Good luck
KD
I've had it since 2005 and recently was diagnosed with IBS. My periods now make me sick because of IBS. I am seeking surgical results on this problem now.

I totally agree with you though KD86. I find if I eat in moderation, and smaller portions then I am usually fine. That is until that time of the month then it wipes me totally out. Temperature, vomiting and nausea the whole sick thing.

I also know mine occurred due to job stress I finally had to quit the job in 2005 after gettng a second health expert opinion. I am big on nutrition and this makes it hard but I have lost a ton of weight due to IBS problems. Hell I can hardly eat to gain!

 
Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Pezzie HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

I've had IBS for about 10 years and have found that with foods you can and can't eat can only be learned through trial and error. I find that greasy foods are out, although I can have a hamburger without problems. Fries done in the oven make me sick, but I can have fries in the fryer fine. Processed meats such as hot dog weiners, bacon, ground beef, are out. Even a healthy cereal like Cheerios makes me sick, due to the fiber content. One thing you think may not affect you could be the worst thing you could eat. Through experience, you learn what foods to avoid. That's the only way I've been able to deal with it.

 
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 252
seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Its all trial and error as our symptoms are so different with IBS. I suffer from IBS-D. I cannot eat salads (which I miss terribly), raw veggies, and most raw fruits. I can eat a banana, a peeled apple, and some grapes without having immediate problems. Veggies cooked are okay. Cannot eat mushrooms or peppers. I can eat french fries, but not onion rings. Processed meats (sausage, pepperoni, kielbasi) are out. If I make a quick marinara sauce from canned plum tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, I'm okay. But cannot eat a tomato sauce that has been simmering all day loaded with meat (like gramma used to make). Oatmeal....omg...after having a horrible episode after eating a bowl of it, I threw it all out.

Good luck!!
SB

 
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Dortopia HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabell View Post
Its all trial and error as our symptoms are so different with IBS. I suffer from IBS-D. I cannot eat salads (which I miss terribly), raw veggies, and most raw fruits. I can eat a banana, a peeled apple, and some grapes without having immediate problems. Veggies cooked are okay. Cannot eat mushrooms or peppers. I can eat french fries, but not onion rings. Processed meats (sausage, pepperoni, kielbasi) are out. If I make a quick marinara sauce from canned plum tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, I'm okay. But cannot eat a tomato sauce that has been simmering all day loaded with meat (like gramma used to make). Oatmeal....omg...after having a horrible episode after eating a bowl of it, I threw it all out.

Good luck!!
SB
I've had IBS for at least 40 years, and was diagnosed long ago before there was a differentiation between constipation and diarrhea. I've had lots of time to experiment and also research this. I've learned that having a virus can trigger food intolerances which can then trigger a flare-up of IBS. I'm just currently coming out of a recent flare-up which has reminded me of the diet I should be more closely adhering to. It can become easy to stray from it during better "stomach" times.

Everyone's experience is different, but I have found that if I soak oats overnight and then pour off the "syrup" before cooking, I can tolerate them quite well. Another idea is to grind the dry oats in a blender and sift the powder through a mesh strainer, then discard the fiber. A person might also try pureeing after cooking. Pureed beans seem to be better tolerated than whole ones. I'm also a person with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so I have to combine these diets which makes it even more depriving, and it is very difficult to find a cookbook with recipes that works for all conditions at the same time.

I learned from someone else over a decade ago that making yogurt in a home yogurt maker somehow renders it tolerable to the dairy-intolerant people like me. Maybe it gets broken down a lot more that way, but it was definitely working for me when I tried it.

I do know how horrendous this type of suffering is and how it is debilitating and incapacitating, and I wish there was a cure.

 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 105
xblondeangel650 HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbij View Post
what foods can I actually eat with IBS?
I've been diagnosed with IBS. Just did web-research, and everything makes sense. Ufortunately, everything I like to eat, including the foods that are good for me (the veggies I like), are on the DO NOT EAT list. I'm going to starve. My favorite food is pizza, but I'm sure I can be okay with not eating it, but the vegies? What vegies can I eat without causing the nastiness? Are there any veggies that might not do harm with IBS?
I've had IBS-C for about 6 years and it has been such a struggle of pain and suffering.I went to 3 different specialist and had every test you can think of done,it came down to it being "mentally related".I read so many articals and do alot of research on this from time to time,I read mostly everyones bloggs on IBS.The few things I learned is that(not to be negative)no food really makes a huge difference in helping me.I eat very little through out the day and stay away from;breads,chocolate,dairy,cabbage,meat ,and anything else that's hard to digest.I drink alot of water and have become a lactose intolerant-vegitarian,sounds crazy right?I don't miss eating meat actrually,not a huge dissapointment in my life,but I do rely on laxatives to move my bowels.Senakote is the best stool softener to take,it's natrual and won't harm you in the long run.Drinking 2-3 cups of prune juice will make you go(TRUST ME),make sure you do it at night though!Everyone is different when it comes to this issue,it's very commen,but this is what has been working for me.
__________________
Eating Disorders
OCD/Anxiety Disorder

 
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OrangevilleON Canada
Posts: 4
koeye HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblondeangel650 View Post
I've had IBS-C for about 6 years and it has been such a struggle of pain and suffering.I went to 3 different specialist and had every test you can think of done,it came down to it being "mentally related".I read so many articals and do alot of research on this from time to time,I read mostly everyones bloggs on IBS.The few things I learned is that(not to be negative)no food really makes a huge difference in helping me.I eat very little through out the day and stay away from;breads,chocolate,dairy,cabbage,meat ,and anything else that's hard to digest.I drink alot of water and have become a lactose intolerant-vegitarian,sounds crazy right?I don't miss eating meat actrually,not a huge dissapointment in my life,but I do rely on laxatives to move my bowels.Senakote is the best stool softener to take,it's natrual and won't harm you in the long run.Drinking 2-3 cups of prune juice will make you go(TRUST ME),make sure you do it at night though!Everyone is different when it comes to this issue,it's very commen,but this is what has been working for me.
Ihave IBS-C as well and the GI I saw has put me on mineral oil or milk of magnesia(I take 1 tsp or 1tbsp at night depending on the stool. This has worked well for me as far as keeping things soft and moving and have been on this for 4 years with no ill effects. Raw veggies for me and red meat are a definate no-no I still have not figured out if dairy is a problem. I seem to tolerate yogurt fine (ie Activia or any of the ones with probiotics) but milk and ice cream....not at all. Any gassy veggies raw or cooked are a problem, whole grain breads, brown bread and brown rice. What I can eat.... chicken, fish, some pork, some steamed veggies, some potatoes and white rice. Drink alot of water, stay away from carbonated drinks, alcohal,coffee, milk chocolate and a few others

 
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Dortopia HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeye View Post
Ihave IBS-C as well and the GI I saw has put me on mineral oil or milk of magnesia(I take 1 tsp or 1tbsp at night depending on the stool. This has worked well for me as far as keeping things soft and moving and have been on this for 4 years with no ill effects. Raw veggies for me and red meat are a definate no-no I still have not figured out if dairy is a problem. I seem to tolerate yogurt fine (ie Activia or any of the ones with probiotics) but milk and ice cream....not at all. Any gassy veggies raw or cooked are a problem, whole grain breads, brown bread and brown rice. What I can eat.... chicken, fish, some pork, some steamed veggies, some potatoes and white rice. Drink alot of water, stay away from carbonated drinks, alcohal,coffee, milk chocolate and a few others
There's a good way to find out if dairy is a problem. Ask a naturopathic doctor for the Carroll Food Intolerance Test. It's also a good idea to find out about grain/ gluten intolerance.

 
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
oceanb86 HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

hi I've been dealing with IBS for 6 years now
It start out as mild pain, I was able to live my normal life with cutting certain things out.
but year after year the symptoms got worse and things that never used to bother me are now the major triggers to my colon.
most of the time I'm at home cause of my bloated and swollen stomach, and whats embarrassing is when I'm out with friends; all of a sudden I find myself with a bloated and a six month's pregnant like stomach. it's very obvious! Fiber supplements only made it worse, for my fortunate luck I also developed lactose and gluten intolerance.
the only lifetime diet that worked with me is eating rice and whole breads, no red meat, juices except for pineapple and berry juices. fruits I have to cook. no green vegetables of any kind as well as most of the vegetables are triggers for me. no artificial sweeteners which was hard at first cause I use them a lot. no pastries, nuts, cakes oils as well anything barbecued or cooked on a barbecue cause of the carbon.
sometimes it's just hard when ur with people to run away from not eating specially when your envited to meals and nothing at the table suites you!

Last edited by oceanb86; 04-26-2009 at 09:34 PM.

 
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Amherst Nova scotia
Posts: 1
twitterbugdust HB User
Re: what foods can I actually eat with IBS?

I'm finding that almost anything I eat with this IBS situation bothers me.. I don't know what to do ... I would rather just quit eating but I can't do that either. ug!!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What's wrong with me? Bad reactions to foods. confewsed General Health 6 12-18-2009 01:34 AM
What kind of diet? Vitamins? Sugar Sugar 31 Fibromyalgia 12 01-08-2006 03:12 PM
Lamictal side affects... what are they? oldwheat Bipolar Disorder 12 11-23-2005 06:52 PM
What are negative calorie foods? LThomason Weight Loss 7 08-22-2005 04:01 PM
Organic foods and products? Concerned Male Alternative Medicine 10 04-04-2005 08:49 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!