Hi I am a 21 yr old college student and I was wondering if any of you could help me. Do I have IBS?
here are my symptoms:
1. horrible burning sensation in my stomach especially at night so severe I feel lighheaded and it does not let me sleep, I usually spend hours every night trying to go to sleep because I feel like my head is spinning and it usually goes away if i drink tea or something warm
2. a lot of gas and i feel like bubbles are exploding in my stomach, specially after I eat
3. Frequently I have to go to the bathroom during meals or right after I eat (within 10 minutes or less)
4. I usually feel bloated all the time
5. I usually feel weak and dizzy and my legs hurt sometimes after a bowel movement
6. My stools are usually soft or watery and "explosive" (a result from having to go quickly
7. sometimes I notice the slightest hints of blood (a little small tiny drop) when I wipe
8. Sometimes I feel like a have a rock in the middle of my stomach and I have a nasty taste in my mouth that tastes like after you eat beef even when i dont
What really bothers me is the burning at night because I really dont know how to describe what it does to my head... I feel like my stomach is turning in circles and I feel the same feeling in my head yet nothing moves like when you are dizzy it is just the sensation of being dizzy but not really seeing things spin
I havent been to a GI but none of my other doctors (rheumatologists, cardiologists, endocrinologists, ENT or allergy) can find anything wrong with me
Symptoms 2,3, and 6 could be IBS, but others are not usual symptoms. Some of the others sound like perhaps anxiety/heartburn. If you're taking meds, you may want to check for side effects. #7 could be hemorroids.
The burning in your stomach could be a GERD related thing. I have similar symptoms, which turned out to be small ulcers at the base of my esophogus at the entrance to my stomach. When I lie down, have an empty stomach, or a few hours after eating a large meal, I get that burning sensation.
The blood when you wipe is probably hemorrhoids. If you have frequent diarrhea or straining during movements, they're likely to happen.
Your legs may hurt after a BM because you are straining or just overall too tense. I can imagine it being hard to relax having a BM like the ones your described, but that tension isn't good for your muscles, skeletal or stomach.
As for the dizziness, do you eat regulary? Get enough iron? Any menstral irregularities? The dizziness may be from a loss of iron from menstral blood, or blood loss in the GI tract. Hemorroid bleeding wouldn't be severe enough to cause an iron deficiency, but if your stools are black or very bloody (not just a streak coating the stool) then you may be bleeding somewhere within your GI-tract. If your stomach burning is caused by ulcers, it could be possible that they are bleeding, but usually the pain is much more severe for a bleeding ulcer and you would have a lot of nausea/vomitting as well.
My advice would be to see a GI specialist, and maybe get scoped if you and your doc are concerned about ulcers. Hemorrhoids can be prevented with a high fiber diet, less straining and/or holding back the urge "to go." I've also heard soaking in the tub can help hemorrhoids as can keeping the external anus clean and dry as much as possible. For the stomach burning, don't lie down after eating meals (wait a few hours), and try to avoid taking antacids. Stomach burning can be a sign of not enough acid too. I find that saltines sometimes help ease the burning sensation.
I hope this was helpful, but my best advice would be to see a doc about it.