It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
(male)

overberg HB User
Vsl 3

I notice the thread 95% Improvement with VSL3 has been closed.
Be that as it may in South Africa there is a product Lp299v for IBS which claims "Beware of bogus products claiming to provide relief from IBS.Only Lp299v contains the clinically proven L.plantarum 299v probiotic strain.Other bogus products will not be effective towards providing IBS relief".
I would appreciate comments from the Health Board members.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Vsl 3

I was more comfortable in the quality of the VSL#3 DS because my doctor prescribed it as a medical food and I filled the prescription with my family pharmacist. It gave me more peace of mind in the product. There are so many things out there that claim they help, but it really is confusing trying to find out what is true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

Mitzo HB User

VSL#3 seems to work to a certain extent, after a month, for me, but I see that many people have had quick and very positive results.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I ordered this on the web as I was sure my insurance wouldn't pay for it. I was diagnosed with IBS with constipation. I took it one day and had a good result. However, it stopped. I am very backed up though, so I wonder if I need a regular laxative to clean me out first. Does anyone know enough about this?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

VSL3 can cause constipation if you don't start building up with a lower dosage. Also.. because you are getting a more formed stool, your colon simply isn't used to it along with other changes that the bowel goes through. Cut out all white breads and only eat whole white or whole wheat. You might have to take something like Miralax or Keralose to keep things moving and drink water. Miralax and Keralose can make you feel more bound up if you don't drink enough water. They both go hand in hand to work optimally.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
(male)

Mitzo HB User

I have found that the VSL#3 has helped create formed stools a bit - I guess that could translate into constipation for those not as far gone D-wise as I have been.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I think that probiotics are supposed to help both those with diarrhea and those with constipation--no?

I was told that if you are constipated the probiotics will kick out the bad bacteria and "coat" le poop in hopes of an easier passage--no?

This weekend I took vsl3, miralax, milk of magnesia and drank water by the gallon while eating raisins--guess who didn't have a bm until an enema was introduced and barely had one even then?

NOTHING is working and am thinking an er visit is in my immediate future.

Closed Thread