It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
(male)

BigBlock21 HB User
Pain killers and IBS?

I have had IBS for a few years now. Constant stomach "issues" and daily diarrhea. I've been to a gastro doc many many times now, there doesn't seem to be much he can do for me.

I just had my wisdom teeth pulled, and as such have been taking Vicodin. This morning I took the best dump I've had in years! I seem to remember something similar happening when I was taking some codeine a while ago. Obviously Vicodin is not something I can take every day.

I'm just wondering, is there something about these pain killers that is actually helping my IBS problems as well? I wonder if there is another drug somehow based on that stuff, that isn't so bad to take every day, I might be able to try?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Pain killers and IBS?

About 10 years ago, I went through the same thing. Pain lower left quadrant with diarrhea several times a day. My PCP ran a series of tests on me through a Gastro Doc and they determined it was IBS. I was prescribed Hydrocodone and over the years I have gone to Oxycodone, Oxycontin, and others. I am now on Methadone, but have other pain issues as well as the IBS. The opiate pain meds slow the gut and help the diarrhea, plus giving you pain relief.

It's a good approach if your doctor is willing to help you with your pain and gut issues. It helps if you're are older, as doctors don't like to prescribe these meds to younger people mant times.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 12-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
(male)

BigBlock21 HB User

Hmm...that's good to know. I didn't think it was possible to get a full time prescription for that kind of stuff. The dentist won't give me more than 20 even though they're gone and my mouth still hurts... I do have a lot of other chronic pain but have been somewhat afraid to go the painkiller route...

My gastro doc is very nice and helpful though, and basically said he would do anything he could do for me, though we haven't talked about this route yet. It had to have helped though, no diarrhea for 3 days, for the first time in years...and now it's back all the sudden.

At this point I have to do something. I can't live a life like this without some kind of treatment...

Last edited by BigBlock21; 12-02-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

BB21...It's been a month since we posted about your IBS problems. I was wondering if you ever talked with your Gastro Doc concerning your diarrhea and possible treatment options I mentioned to you. Just curious as to what your doctor thought of pain meds as a treatment.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
(female)

XxVelvetRose7 HB User

Am I too late to response? Please message me
Up I'm
Only 23 and same problem but I noticed tha vicodin is my life safer and doctor stopped giving to
Me these and it get worse than while i was on pain medication...should I find a new doctor to understand and help me? To trust me that I'm Always in pains!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock21 View Post
I have had IBS for a few years now. Constant stomach "issues" and daily diarrhea. I've been to a gastro doc many many times now, there doesn't seem to be much he can do for me.

I just had my wisdom teeth pulled, and as such have been taking Vicodin. This morning I took the best dump I've had in years! I seem to remember something similar happening when I was taking some codeine a while ago. Obviously Vicodin is not something I can take every day.

I'm just wondering, is there something about these pain killers that is actually helping my IBS problems as well? I wonder if there is another drug somehow based on that stuff, that isn't so bad to take every day, I might be able to try?

It's unusual for prescription painkillers to make one's IBS get better. I know, because when I was in the hospital after a strangulated hernia and bowel obstruction two years ago, I found that after I was released, that the prescription painkillers I was given caused me to get constipated.

I have mixed IBS. It's not unusual for me to have diarrhea and constipation the same day.

A few months ago I had dental work done and I was prescribed tylenol#3. It caused the worst stomach pains, so I had to stop taking it. I never had that reaction to this drug in the past. So, whenever I have to take prescription pain meds, I have to be careful as to what kind.

Maybe this was just a fluke in your case? Perhaps you ate something that made you go "more?" I doubt that the pain meds are responsibe. Jmo. I hope you will continue to feel better.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
(female)

relief123 HB User

I have been suffering from IBS for four years now. I have taken all types of pain killers, the ones you mention as well. It got to the point where if one didn't work I had to try another, so I bounced around a lot. I don't think the pain killers helped my IBS at all, just helped me cope with the pain. It wasn't until I searched the web and started eating for IBS that I found relief. Changing my eating habits helped tremendously. Like night and day.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relief123 View Post
I have been suffering from IBS for four years now. I have taken all types of pain killers, the ones you mention as well. It got to the point where if one didn't work I had to try another, so I bounced around a lot. I don't think the pain killers helped my IBS at all, just helped me cope with the pain. It wasn't until I searched the web and started eating for IBS that I found relief. Changing my eating habits helped tremendously. Like night and day.
That's what I'm trying to do now as well. I have to change what I eat, along with portion sizes, because of my IBS. It seems as though since my surgery in '09, that I cannot tolerate certain foods I was able to eat before. Stuff like broccoli, corn, nuts, etc.

I know that stress is a major factor. I just went through a difficult experience with regard to buying a used car. It was so stressful that I had serious stomach pains a few days ago. Pain that felt similar to when I had the bowel obstruction.

If you have any links about IBS diets, please let me know. I've been having trouble finding the right foods to eat. There are days when I can eat tomatoes, for example, and they won't bother me. And then on other days tomatoes will make me sick. Go figure. And then there are times when I stress eat and my IBS kicks in!

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
(male)

init0 HB User

I suffered with IBS diarrhea for Years, I had colon cancer and even after that was cured and half my colon was gone, I still had Diarrhea issues. The thing that finally cured me and has given me my life back is a drug called Welchol. It is a drug used for people with High cholesterol, but they found that one of the major side effects was constipation. Well for those of use with IBS-D, you don't get constipated when you take Welchol, you get NORMAL BM's!!!! Google it and talk to your doc, I can honestly say that after more than 10 years of horrible pain and running to the bathroom, being afraid to go out too long due to diarrhea, Welchol gave me my life back!

Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to init0 For This Useful Post:
dianajune (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Big Block, A girl I knew took vicodin for pain and to bind her up. Also a drug called donnatal hekp the diaherria.

The Following User Says Thank You to dee088 For This Useful Post:
dianajune (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

I'm concerned about taking medicine to help with diarrhea, like welchol, as I have mixed IBS. I can have diarrhea and be constipated the same day.

Or, on days like today (I've been horribly bound up - maybe because of more car stress, etc), I can take prune juice to loosen things up. I did this a few hours ago and am now having diarrhea. Sometimes when I do this I'm constipated the next day.

One more question: Not to be gross or anything, but a couple of days ago I had diarrhea and there was some white foam with it. It was mostly brown, of course, but I don't know where the white foam came from. I don't know if it's mucus or something else.

I noticed it again this evening after the prune juice kicked in, but I didn't have nearly enough of the "white" stuff today as I did a couple of days ago.

Could that mean I have a bowel infection? Or maybe that's what mucus looks like. I know, I probably sound like I'm obsessing over my symptoms. Maybe it's because I've had a rough day.

I need to go back to the garage next week to have my car repair finished. They're waiting on a part that was ordered. And my Federal employee disability check didn't turn up in today's mail like it was supposed to. Now I have the added stress of having to take care of that additional problem.

Many thanks for the responses I had to my question. Sorry to burden everyone with this extra stuff that happened in the past few days. Maybe it's just the stress that's exacerbating the IBS symptoms. I hate feeling sick all the time.

Last edited by dianajune; 09-01-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread