It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
(female)

lauri446 HB User
Prebiotic or Probiotic....Need help with gas :(

IBS D sufferer for years.
Now seem to be more IBS C.
But not really sure if I can qualify as C as I go everyday, just that I know I don't have a complete BM. Always seems like I can and want to go more, just can't.
Then the gas bulids up all day and is really bad and foul by night.

I have a Dr. appt next week which I haven't seen a Dr. for my IBS in over
10+ years just because I was never satisfied. They always made me feel stupid and told me to take fiber.

What I think I know so far is to try a sulfur-free diet. Small amts. of protein.
Any website that has a complete list of sulfur free foods?

I'd like to try a fiber supplement, but fear the gas.
Which fiber supplement will NOT cause excess gas??

Also I've been reading about prebiotics rather than probiotics, but one place I read that PREbiotics are soluable. Won't this add to the gas trouble???

Ahhhh, I am so confused.
It seems as soon as I find something I think might work, I find a reason not to try it.

Really appreciate any help.
Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Re: Prebiotic or Probiotic....Need help with gas :(

Laurie:

I am just as confused as you. No matter what I try, I seem to get no resolve. I don't think there are any answers. If you come up with a anything good let me know. I am very frustrated and depresses. I just went through a crying fit because I feel I have no llife because of all my issues. Talk soon. LaLa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

lauri446 HB User

I found a pretty good list of foods and their sulfur content.
I've been trying to eat more rice (won't cause gas) and watch the foods that are high in sulfur.
I do see some improvement.
I also started taking Pearls.
I need to do things slowly and see what makes it worse.
I also take pepto after my meals and so far I do feel better.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Laurie:

I did hear about the pearls. Are they a particular brand? Did you buy them on-line or where you able to buy them locally? I never heard of of anyone talking about sulfur being a problem other then the fact that alot of foods high in sulfur happen to be gassy foods like some of the vegies and dried fruits. Also, did you decide to take pepto after every meal on your own or did someone tell you about it. Also can't pepto create constipation. Because I know people take it for diarrhea. I know rice is good for diarrhea also. I am glad to hear something is helping for you. Did you go to a gastro doc and have any tests taken? laLa

Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

lauri446 HB User

Haven't seen dr. yet. Not until Wednesday.
The Pearls I purchased at Rite Aid and a 30 day supply was about $12.
I was hesitant about taking the VSL#3 because of posts I read with it causing gas trouble for some after being on it awhile. Seemed a bit to potent.
I am begining to think I can't tolerate high amts. of fiber & sulfur related foods.
Unfortuntely,all the healthy stuff I need to cut back on or find alternatives for.
The pepto (just 1 tbs. after dinner/ sometimes lunch) helps with the gas & odor. Read that from another board. And so far it has not caused any constipation.
After finding the list of foods & their sulfur content, I couldn't believe how much I was eating.
But I am realistic and know that just because things are quiet for now means nothing.
For now, this seems to work & I hope it lasts and hopefully can help someone else.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Laurie:
I can't believe how inexpensive the pearls are compared to the products I buy. Do you know if they are the same pearls that Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum talks about. I can't remember if you know about Dr. T. Somebody I was talking to on the board mentioned him and I had also known about him. He recommend these pearls that you can get on-line through his website that a lot more money then your pearls. Well anyway, as long as you feel a little better for the moment. I have a feeling no matter what we eat or take, that this condition, whatever it may be, it going to come and go all the time. Unless, we have a definte answer with a definte medication. Did we talk about SIBO, small intestinal bacteria overgrowth? You should check with your dr. on that. You take a test called Hydrogen Breath Test. It is a good test for SIBO. If you have that, then you would take an antibiotic and watch your carbs. Otherwise it can be Cadida or IBS. Good luck and let me know what the dr. says. I am going to the dr. in a few weeks and am going to ask him for the SIBO test. I took it a year ago and it came out borderline and I did not take the antibiotic because I was told I had candida and did not want to take an antibiotic. But this time if it comes out borderline or positive I will take the antibiotic and just take extra probiotics with it. Talk soon. LaLa

Old 02-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
(female)

lauri446 HB User

I only went to see my GP today, who is an internal dr. as well. Well, I may as well have been speaking French to her as she looked at me like I had 2 heads. Waste of time.
I dread going to a GI Dr. I hate the tests, I hate the no-answers, I hate the co-pays.
I am going to try fiber first. Although I think I will post about it as I do not know what or how much to take. Espically since I do believe that is what triggered my gas episode last time.
Now I am doing the Pearls (don't know if they are the same or not), low protein, low fiber and sulfur free as much as possible. And now I am back to my normal IBS-D with the urgency...gotta love it. But hey, hardly any gas!
Pick your poison, as they say....

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lauri:
What are you eating? Sounds like you eliminated a lot. I know the feeling. I just want to let you know that I called my vitamin store near me that I find the people there to be extremely knowledgeable and I asked her what she thought of the pearls and she said they are not strong enough. But I still feel that probiotics might help but obviously not the end all. I am still suffering also. What kills me know is that I ate salads every night and it did not bother me and more then any other food. All of a sudden now i can't eat vegies any more raw or cooked. My gas gets much worse now when I eat them. So now what? I don't want to overeat on carbs because of he candida and now I can't eat as much of my salads, so what can I eat now? Talk soon. LaLa

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
(female)

lauri446 HB User

I know raw veggies can be harsh. Like I said, things are just quiet until the next flare up. I believe mine is just IBS related. I eat a lot of yogurt and I try to eat "normally" or whatever I am feeding my family. I try to stick to smaller portions. Chicken mostly.
I figured the pearls weren't the same ones, however I was leary about starting with something too strong. Now if I can just get an answer about the fiber, that might help too. I have a family vacation in a couple of months I really hope I don't have any issues.

Closed Thread