It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Carrots causing diarrhea??

I LOVE carrots. Especially with veggie dip. I've been trying to eat healthier lately which includes veggies, which my stomach can't seem to handle anymore.
Well the past few days, when I'm hungry, I tell myself to eat something healthy and I find myself reaching for carrots. Well I don't feel so hot today and I've been going to the bathroom a lot. And it's orange. And when I wipe, there are pieces if carrots on the toilet paper. Now it's turned to actual diarrhea. Very loose, but heavy. I'm hungry right now, so I think I'm "ok"
do carrots do this to anyone else?? Is it because they're high in fiber??

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

omaof2 HB User
Re: Carrots causing diarrhea??

Yes, I get the same problem if I eat too many raw carrots. However, when I've had diarrhea for some other reason, well cooked carrots are soothing to the bowel and help things return to normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

Zipity HB User

Yeah!! I googled it and it said it helps diarrhea! I was so confused! I guess it's kind of like the apple juice/apple sauce thing. It helps babies that are constipated but helps diarrhea too?!???

Thanks for responding. I'm glad it's not just me.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

When I first started having IBS symptoms one of the first thing my GI doc advised me to cut was raw fruits and veggies. Cooked was OK for many of them, but raw is more difficult on the digestive system. It takes trial and error to figure out what works for me. Frustrating thing is that I can do OK with a food one time and have troubles another. I still avoid things that are hardest to digest in raw form though.

Maybe you will be able to handle the carrots in smaller amounts better.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

Zipity HB User

I'm like that with salad!! Sometimes it comes out exactly as I ate it, sometimes it's ok.
But yeah, admittedly, I probably went overboard on the carrots cause they were sooooooo good. Lol

Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #6
(female)

CrystalBeachMom HB User

I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought I was the only one that couldn't eat carrots. MY GI told me that ICEBERG lettuce is one of the hardest foods on the planet to digest, so I should stay away from it. Whenever I eat a salad with iceberg in it.......... It doesn't have any nutritional value anyway.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
(female)

gingercat HB User

I cannot eat carrots either - whether cooked or raw. It is because of malabsorbtion which can develop after a serious IBS bout. What happens is that after a bout of IBS, food sensitivities can be the result. With carrots, they are high in fructose. You may have developed a fructose or high fructose sensitivity. Once your intestinal track has time to heal - you can probably add this food back into your diet. Some people may have to wait longer than others. Some find that not only are carrots a problem, but other foods that have fructose may also be irritating.

Closed Thread