It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

LkK2507 HB User
Can IBS cause upper stomach pain

I am in the process of trying to find out if I do have IBS or not. either way starting a month ago I am having upper stomach pain. it basically feels like a regular upset stomach. sometimes feels just like indigestions. Just a dull ache that comes and goes right in the middle inbetween where my ribs meet. sometimes a pressure pain that feels like gas shoots into my chest right under my sternum.

It has gotten worse the last few days to the point that i have it all day almost! before it was only happening for part of a day maybe once or twice a week. I on occasion have a very slight feeling of heart burn but not all the time or very much.

This is freaking me out but I am and have also been VERY stressed about my possible IBS issues. This feels like something else because is so high (upper abdomen) but could it be part of IBS? I sure hope not. I dont want pain in my upper and lower abdomen..

I wonder if this is an ulcer, or gastritis or whatever... anyone!? I would REALLY appreciate some feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

Westlee HB User
Re: Can IBS cause upper stomach pain

This could be an ulcer, I had a sick pain in the middle of my rib cage and found out after some test that I have ulcers and diverticulosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
(female)

lindalou8 HB User

Hi there. I have IBS-D, and crohns. I have pain in the upper abdomen, but this is not something that happens all the time. It is cramping pain, relieved by a bowel movement. It also sounds like an ulcer. Had one years ago. STRESS is really bad for us ibsers, so try not to worry. (easy to say, hard to do) Please keep us up to date on how you are doing! Linda

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
(female)

crickiechickie HB User

I've had IBS-D for the last 24 years and I'm 29 years old. Upper stomach pain, right under the ribcage, is exactly where I have my pain. I have been tested for every other stomach condition under the sun, from ulcers to crohn's, and everything has always turned out negative. This is not to say that you shouldn't be checked for other conditions, you definitely should. Something that I've found that helps me with pain is a heating pad set on low. The only thing I can think of as to why it helps is that maybe it relaxes the muscles. I can also guarantee that being nervous about all the tests is not helping you at all. You might want to consider talking to your doctor about it and see if he/she can prescribe you a mild sedative for the time being.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
(female)

jdpanz HB User

Yes, IBS can affect your upper stomach. Since my total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, I have had tremendous pain and stress in my upper stomach (above the waist) and I do suffer from IBS-C. My pains are like contractions and it seem like I feel every morsel of food that enters my digestive system. Gas accompanies the symptoms. Get to the doctor and get your answer so that you can start working on the problem. Good luck, I know how miserable you must be trying to contend with this problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkK2507 View Post
I am in the process of trying to find out if I do have IBS or not. either way starting a month ago I am having upper stomach pain. it basically feels like a regular upset stomach. sometimes feels just like indigestions. Just a dull ache that comes and goes right in the middle inbetween where my ribs meet. sometimes a pressure pain that feels like gas shoots into my chest right under my sternum.

It has gotten worse the last few days to the point that i have it all day almost! before it was only happening for part of a day maybe once or twice a week. I on occasion have a very slight feeling of heart burn but not all the time or very much.

This is freaking me out but I am and have also been VERY stressed about my possible IBS issues. This feels like something else because is so high (upper abdomen) but could it be part of IBS? I sure hope not. I dont want pain in my upper and lower abdomen..

I wonder if this is an ulcer, or gastritis or whatever... anyone!? I would REALLY appreciate some feedback.
It could be acid reflux(heartburn,indigestion because many people who have IBS also have other digestive system disorders. Like IBS, acid reflux reacts to many of the same kinds of foods that cause the heartburn feeling. Don't lie down for 2-3 hours after eating or eat right before going to bed for the night. Raise the head of your bed with pillow, a wedge or put the head of bed up on risers. I found that the bed risers work the best for me. Have you tried OTC drugs like prilosec,prevacid,Tagamet, Maalox,etc. I also use a powder called L-glutamine that I add to my Citrucel twice a day, digestive enzymes,probiotics(which are good for IBS but I also found that it helps keep the acid reflux under control as well.) I also found that my bowel retraining program to help with my IBS-A symptoms(mostly the severe chronic constipation part of the IBS) also helps the acid reflux because I'm not constipated and that keeps that bloated and full feeling from pushing upward towards my stomach and esophagus which cause the acid reflux to kick in more often. I also have allergy induced asthma which can make the acid reflux worse and visa versa. I really have to work at keeping my acid reflux and IBS symptoms under control everyday or I end up paying the consquences in the worse possible way. Unfortunately,for me it took years of my suffering before to get it through my thick head that I have to really watch what kinds of foods that I eat or I will pay for it later on in the day.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
(male)

powerbeck HB User

Hi all,

I am in Australia. I have been suffering with upper abdominal for about 3 years now. I have 2 x Ct Scans, 2 x upper gastronomy, 2 x endoscopy, 1 x Hida Scan, many blood test. Everything was negative except the Hida scan which showed 35% I had my Gallbladder out about 2 weeks ago, due sheer desperation really. But doesn't have seem to fix the problem still have pain all the time. I guess I have to give up and just settle with IBS. What do you guys take for the pain? I think I will have to get something stronger than over the counter and I am finding it very hard to live with.

Also how are you guys coping. Very hard living with pain all the time.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

I have both IBS and non ulcer functional dyspepsia (burning pain/discomfort, burping with no acid, bloating). I'm currently on day 4 of an FD episode. Normally I'm bothered with it one or two days a month, if at all, and it's never more than a day long. I had IBS C, but my gastro put me on Muralax daily. This was in 07, and I am rarely bothered with it now. Then 18 months ago after ultrasounds and endoscopy, I was diagnosed with non ulcer functional dyspepsia. This FD is the devil!

For the FD, I take 30 mg of desipramine. It is an older tricyclic anti depressant that acts as a visceral analgesic. Doctor told me IBS and FD are both triggered by stress. I have anxiety issues, so this makes sense to me.

Aside from the desipramine, which is not 100% helpful, getting enough sleep is essential. I've noticed a lack of sleep really kicks in the FD.

Closed Thread