It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2001, 07:35 AM   #1

Shel HB User
Caltrate 600 Plus for IBS (D-sufferers)

Hi everyone,

About a month ago someone on this site recommended taking Caltrate 600 Plus for the diarhea form of IBS which I had suffered from for over 6 years. Whoever you are I LOVE YOU!! I started taking it on October 1st and have not had any bouts of diarhea since. I have been out to eat and had no problems. I have been eating salads and had no problems. I had IBS really bad. I would have a bout of diarhea about 10-30 minutes after almost every meal. If we went out to eat it was always a nightmare. We live about 30 minutes from the town we always go to (the closest to our tiny country town), and sometimes we couldn't leave to go home until I thought it was over, other times I would be in agonizing pain until we got home, usually I thought I wouldn't make it. Once we even had to pull over so I could go in a field!! Yes it's embarassing. That was the life I led for 6 years. I know Caltrate 600 plus is not a cure for everyone. Some people have mentioned it only worked a short time. But I have to say this has been the best month of my life. I feel like a normal person again. I just hope it continues to work for me. I wanted to share my story so that those of you who haven't tried it could give it a try. You have nothing to lose by trying it. I take one pill in the morning with breakfast and one at night with dinner. I have normal BM's everyday now.

I hope this helps someone.

And to the person who recommended it THANK YOU!!

Shel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2001, 11:13 AM   #2

sbw91 HB User
Re: Caltrate 600 Plus for IBS (D-sufferers)

I too have been taking caltrate 600, I have been taking it for 9 weeks and it has done the same for me as for you. I feel like a normal person again. I can go out to eat and out of town on long trips without worrying at all. I started having problems with "D" right after I had my gallbladder removed. I too think everyone should try it. It wont hurt to try and it might help.

Old 01-10-2002, 07:19 AM   #3

Shel HB User

Hi everyone! I just wanted to report that I have been "D" free since October 1st!! I feel like a new person. I can go out to eat and I'm fine! I can even drink beer and lots of it and be fine!! I take my Caltrate 600 plus every day. If a day goes by and I don't have a BM I don't take my pills for a day. I feel great! I wish you all the best of luck, I wish you all an answer for your IBS problems.

Old 01-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi, Shel. Glad to hear you're still doing great with the Caltrate. It worked for awhile for me, but then the "D" started in again. I was popping Bentyl 20mg 4 times a day for several weeks just to keep things under control. However, for the last 3-4 weeks, I have had great success with taking the Caltrate 3 times daily (like I've done for a long time), but also adding Metamucil wafers twice daily to my diet. I have not taken a Bentyl since. I tried the wafers because I had no luck with Fibercon capsules, and hate the powered stuff you add to liquids. The wafers have been a miracle for me, and I now have formed stools daily and NO DIARRHEA! I just hope it continues like this, and if this info helps others, I'm glad. Keep me posted.

Katie G

Old 01-10-2002, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

Shaelynn HB User

I am curious about the difference between this and Levbid. What are the side affects?

------------------
~Shae

Old 01-11-2002, 06:53 AM   #6

Shel HB User

Katie G,

Well I hope this solution works for you in the long run. I have heard others say the caltrate only worked for a short time, but I am hoping that it works for me forever. I need the extra calcium anyway, I have never been a fan of milk, even when I was little. I wish you the best of luck.

Shaelynn,

The side effects from Caltrate 600 Plus? Nothing really. It is just a calcium supplement you buy over the counter. I read somewhere that some people have Spastic Colon Syndrome and Calcium and Magnesium help bring it under control. I have to take the supplements with food otherwise I get sick to my stomach. Good luck!!

Shel

Old 02-19-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
Inactive

DAELKIN HB User

Calcium supps have helped me also. I've had IBS since I was in highschool (now 38) I have always planned things around bathroom!! Made life hell. I sill get a bout every now and then but it has helped tremendously.
I too had my gallbladder out in 99 and the "D" was worse after that (very common)
Denise

Old 02-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #8

Shel HB User

Over the last two weeks I have gotten bad bouts of "D" on four different occasions. At first I was blaming it on a stomach virus that keeps getting passed back and fourth here at work. Now I am wondering if the Caltrate isn't working anymore. I take one in the morning and one at night. I wonder if it is safe to take 2 more a day. Say one with lunch and one with a snack. I am going away tomorrow for four days and I don't want to worry about this. Can you overdose on Calcium. I just had lunch and already my stomach is gurgling. Ugh. I thought I was cured!!

Old 02-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi, Shel. Sorry to hear you're having trouble again. It's so discouraging to get so excited over something that helps IBS, and then everything falls apart. Been there, done that with the Calcium; then I increased my fiber, and now I'm taking Colestid too. So far, so good, except for one day after drinking too many beers then night before.

I would be cautious to increase your Calcium too much. I e-mailed the woman who originally posted the message about Calcium (was her name Linda?), and asked her how much was too much. She said to take no more than 3 per day (that's 1800 mg total) and then I read somewhere that any more than that can actually be harmful. Sorry, but I don't remember the effects of too much calcium, but I think it could be pretty serious.

Some days it doesn't matter what we try to eat, or avoid, or modify, the "D" returns anyway. Hang in there - if need be talk to your doc about adding Colestid if the "D" comes on especailly after eating. Good luck and keep me posted on how you're doing.

Katie G

Old 02-20-2002, 10:56 AM   #10

Shel HB User

Thanks Katie! I will, Thanks.

Shel

Closed Thread