It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
IBS and Fat intake

What information does anyone have on this topic. I have been told that there is a relation between IBS and fat intake.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:43 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: IBS and Fat intake

Hi,

Some people will find that they have a problem with eating fat. Personally, I find that if I eat too much fat, I get an upset stomach, stomach pain and real bad diarrhea, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Eating different foods, such as proteins, fats and carbohydrates requires the release of different enzymes to break them down so that they can be utilised by the body. Because of the nature of fats, they are harder to digest and tend to hang around for longer, which gives them more chance to give you stomach problems. Fats are the source of energy that your body will use when you don't have carbohydrate on board, but they are a slow source of energy. When marathon runners slow down, this is due to the fact that they have used up all their carbohydrate stores (a quick energy source) and have started burning fat.

Bile is also released from the gallbladder to deal with fats and if you eat too much, you can over produce it and if it hangs round in the gut, it can cause you to have a bad stomach. This is why people seem to have problems following gallbladder surgery due to the bile.

Personally, I try not to eat too much fat, as I find that it makes my stomach worse, however not everyone with IBS will have a problem with it.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2002, 12:16 PM   #3

Frustrated1 HB User

Thanks for your analysis,

I am not on any meds at this time, I have not been given any by the physician I am seeing. But I have been through the gambit of tests. I am about to possibly start another series of tests, possibly for food allergy.
As I have stated it is very frustrating of not having a concrete answer.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi frustrated1,

Unfortunately, for those of us with IBS, there is no known cure as of yet. So..., as far as the luxury of having concrete answers go, we have none. We will try to support you with what we do have. I hope, however, that you do find a cure for your troubles.

Cheers,

Raju

Old 04-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi,

Could be that you have a lactose intolerance or other food allergies.

Good luck anyway.

Sarah

Old 04-26-2002, 05:09 PM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User

Well, all I can say is that you guys are good
I am Lactose Intolerant and have been for many years. so I am very careful to avoid foods with milk or other milk related items. I have taken some of the commercial milk digestants which seem to work really well when there is any uncertainty. But other foods seem to affect me greatly as well. pasta or wheat related items.

Old 04-27-2002, 12:37 PM   #7
Unregistered

Hi,

Try and get tested for Celiac Spru. If you are having problems with wheat it is probably due to the gluten that it contains.

Anyway, good luck

Sarah

Old 04-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sometimes the test for Celiac Disease is not very good especially if you have eliminated Gluten from your diet for any period of time. The biopsy of your intestines can heal with no sign of the damage gluten can cause.

Some people have found that cutting out all food that contain gluten is a good way. Then see if there is a significant improvement. The foods that contain Gluten any product that includes wheat, oats, rye or barley.

Rice, corn, and potatoes are OK--- Well--you gotta eat something!!!

I wish you the best---Harry

Old 04-29-2002, 08:22 PM   #9

Frustrated1 HB User

Well tests have been found to be inconclusive,
I really got into the difference between the Ag Audioysmal(?) and the other antigen that is produced. But I had considered this gluten as a problem. and I have tried to take out sources of gluten.
My system is definitely better without it

Closed Thread