It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2002, 10:02 AM   #1

adamaunt HB User
Constapation.

Hello all. I have had a problem with natural bowel movements over the past 4-5 weeks. I have a condition called candida. yeast allergies. I have not had a normal stool movement in weeks. I have seen 3 doctors and they all say to take medemusal,prune juice,water. So far nothing is working. This all started about 9 mnths ago when I started to get these cramps directly above my belly button. These cramps last for roughly 10-20 min on and off. I've had about 2-3 attacks up until this past week were I have had 2 what I would call severe attacts also in the same area lasting up to 1/2 hr. These pains are so intense that I almost keel over.My doctor has done tests eurine,stomach,digestive and all have come up clear. My lower back is very sore today. That soreness seems to travel to the front of my lower abdominal area and I can't help by thinking that this is all associated. Any suggestions would help. D.Holloway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
Unregistered

Re: Constapation.

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but if you have candida, you should probably start eating some live yogurt or taking some acidophilis caps. These put lactobacilis back into your gut. This is the good bacteria that naturally colonates the gut and this will help to put it back and could help.

Next, make sure that your eating a good all round diet with plenty of fruit and veg, fish, chicken, pasta and all those sorts.

Make sure that you drink plenty of fluids, up to 2 to 3 litres a day if you can. It is also a good idea to add in prune juice as your doc suggested. You need to drink it regularly though. Try eating cereal for breakfast also.

Try taking Metamucil or Phyllum husk to put some more fiber in your diet. If you need to soften your stools you can take docusate sodium. Metamucil is water soluable and you can take it once or twice a day depending on your needs.

If you still can't go, then try a couple of glycerine suppositories. If you still can't go after all that little lot, the try a baking soda enema. This is more natural and you can make it up yourself.

If you had tests that have come back negative, then it sounds as if you may have IBS and yes, if you are constipated, then you can have low back pain as well as the severe pain in your belly that you describe. Does your belly ever get bloated after eating?

Are you under any extra stress at present that could be causing this?

Anyway, hope this helps and post back.

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #3

adamaunt HB User

Thank you Sarah for your response. Today and all of yesterday brought some much needed movement. I still had some back pain as I did this morning as well as a little abdominal pain. I may have a little anxiety when i get the little pain. Usually that indicates a pending attact. However that did not happen. Thank god. I think that maybe I need to look at my diet a little further. Maybe in last attacts I didn't pay attention to my eating habits and this is problebly the culprit. Just a quick question. Is IBS something that I need to watch on a regular basis and why does it seem to come and go? As I stated in my past post this has been a problem for the past 8-9 mnths. D .Holloway.

Old 04-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
Unregistered

Hi.

IBS is really diagnosed on an exclusional basis, following all other tests that come back negative.

The nature of IBS is that it comes and goes, mostly in reaction to stress, but it could include food allergies and diet. Basically, when you are stressed it affects your stomach because the same sorts of chemicals are released by the brain and around the stomach such as gastrin, serotonnnin and other neurotransmiters. If too much gastrin is produced due to stress, then you will have stomach pain. You also get it due to the peristaltic action of the gut pulling when it should be pushing and vice versa. This is also a reason why you get stomach pain and diarrhea/constipation.

You do need to watch it and keep any eye on it and you could take the suggested meds to help and prevent your symptoms. Try to eat a good all round diet and cut out dairy or other foods that you feel affect your stomach in any way.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Sarah

Old 04-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
(female)

stprdi HB User

How do you know the yeast allergy is causing your problem? I have been told IBS as well as hiatus hernia. Last summer I wasn't having much problem then it all changed one day with a terrible upper abd pain. Since then I need dynomite or I absolutely don't go. I've done the fibre, prune juice, water and all else. What else can you do? I'm angry. The ache is a constant reminder. It pretty much decides what you will be doing with your day.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi,

Rather than just doing the fiber and other stuff, you need to continue with it on a regular basis rather than stopping and starting. Sounds like you are doing this. Continue with Metamucil twice daily, prune juice daily and plenty of fluid. If this does not work then try glycerine suppositories and if these don't work, try baking soda enemas. They are natural. If your stools are hard, then add in docusate sodium to soften. You also need to re-train your bowels. After breakfast go and sit on the toilet for no more than 10 mins whether you go or not. That way it will help you having to sit there for hours normally straining to have your bowels open which is really not a good idea.

Closed Thread