It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Unregistered

Lactose intolerant?

How many people with the "D" type IBS are on a "Lactose Free" diet of one kind or another? The last time I saw my doctor, he suggested this as a way to reduce the obvious symptoms and bathroom occurances. I have been on a diet of this type since about 1976, after having stomach surgery for a perforated ulcer, so in my case, I still have the problems, even though I pretty much follow the Lactose free guidelines.

I still have some very severe episodes even though I take 300 mgs of Oxycontin a day, 15-30 mgs of Oxycodone (for BT pain)up to every four hours and Lomotil when all else fails. The medication is mainly for the pain I have with my IBS daily, but also to help slow the bowels. I started on Hydrocodone and eventually got up to 10 mg tabs (about 8-10 per day), so the switch was made to Oxycontin to eliminate the Tylenol in-take and also be able to take a longer acting analgesic. Starting dose was 20 mgs twice a day, but we began titrating and it went to three times per day and then 40 mgs per dose and so on. I just recently went from 80 mgs TID to 100 mgs, so the doseage is getting quite high. I am thinking about (with my doctor) a possible change to Kadian or maybe MS Contin. I've never been on either of these and don't know too much about them. David Charles, who posts on these boards frequently has been a good source of information, but I still need to learn more about them. I do know there's really no ceiling for this type of medication, but I am starting to get to the point of sedation (with the Oxy) and it's becoming a problem on occasion. Does anybody have any suggestions on the medication types, etc. What about use of medication to counter act the sedation. I read recently (I think from Soar 1) on these boards, his wife uses Ritalin to balance the medication. Anybody else do this, or have thoughts about it?

Sorry to get so carried away with this, but I do need to have input from people who have tried these different things themselves. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

------------------
Director

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread