It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2001, 12:34 AM   #1

punkindoodle HB User
IBS and weight problem

I have been living with IBS for just about 9 years. Most days are painful but I have adjusted and it is just part of life. I suffer from "D" IBS and let me tell you as long as I live I will never ever forget what labor feels like!(I developed IBS just after I had my gallbladder removed) I was not "heavy" until I developed the IBS. Now I realize that what I put in to my mouth has a lot to do with what I weigh, I could stand to lose an easy 30 pounds, but years ago the doctor who diagnosed my IBS told me that I would have trouble losing weight because I suffered from the diarreha IBS. He explained that when the IBS was at its worst my body would believe that it was starving and would then store everything it could get. I have been on a roller coaster with my weight for years. I have tried it all- doctor monitored protein diets, slim fast, exercise,etc. and still I am overweight. Has anyone else been having the same problem? Did anyone else's doctor tell them the same as mine told me or was I seriously misinformed?
I am really glad to find this board. You know I have been feeling alone with this for 9 years and my family- as much as I love them, don't understand the pain I can have or how having this makes me feel sometimes.
thanks,
punkindoodles

Old 12-30-2001, 05:39 PM   #2

rory HB User
Re: IBS and weight problem

I also have had IBS for 9 yrs. I eat chicken,turkey,pasta,green beans,gatorade and water.that is my hole diet for 9 yrs.not fun but just try it for a while take it easy on the pasta.See what happens I have an extreme case.But this diet will help you lose weight.I never eat fat,grease or caffine no fast food or sodas ever.Boring it help me with some of the pain/.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2001, 09:23 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hi punkindoodle, have you ever heard about bile salt diarrhea? It's a condition that occurs after gallbladder surgery that causes diarrhea for life. Good news is there is a very safe treatment/drug that may stop it altogether. Here is a website that explains it better. One of my family members takes this drug and the diarrhea has completely stopped.
<A HREF="http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/bilesaltDiarrhea.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/bilesaltDiarrhea.html</A>

Old 01-21-2002, 04:53 PM   #4

dexedrine4ever HB User

Dear Punkindoodle,

I recieved some intersting information from my surgeon. I also had my gallbladder removed (almost 10 months ago) the sugeon I was lucky enough to have is actually one of three surgeons who started doing the gallbladder removal using the laproscopic method..
He informed me that they practiced this method on pigs before ever trying on a human, he said that the only thing that concerned him about the pigs after the gallbladder removal was the amount of weight that they gained after surgery.
Typicaly the pigs would gain anywhere from 50-100 pounds. He stated he has had no human patients that presented with the same problem, but I beg to differ.
There are several members of my family that have had their gallbladder removed also and have gained weight after the surgery.
Just thought you would like to know this information.
Dex

Closed Thread