It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2001, 05:00 PM   #1
Unregistered

IBS pain and medication

Does anyone else have sysmptoms so bad they have to take pain medication for it? I was diagnoised about two years ago and I am currently taking Oxycontin, 80 mgs TID (240 a day)and OxyIR 15 mgs for BT pain. I am the "D" type and even taking all these medications plus Lomotil, when needed, I still have rough days and a lot of pain.

I was just wondering if I am unique in the pain aspect of this or do others suffer like this too? I am in pain every day, no matter what my bathroom habits are that day.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me as to the severity of their problems.

Director

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2001, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: IBS pain and medication

Hi, Director. I feel for you and the difficulties you're going through. My pain level is not as bad as yours - isn't Oxycontin a REALLY strong drug? I do have a lot of cramping pain (mostly on left, but sometimes middle and right side), but my biggest problem with IBS is diarrhea. I take Bentyl 20mg 2-4 times daily (depending on whether I'm just trying to maintain normalcy or trying to control the big D)and Calcium supplements to bind me up too. Life with IBS is miserable, so I can relate to your difficulties too. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Unregistered

Katie...Thanks for your response. Yes, Oxycontin is a very strong narcotic painkiller. The 80 mgs. I take three times a day, are equal to taking approximately 16 5 mg Percocets each time. It is a time release drug that is suppose to carry you 12 hours, but most people don't get that kind of pain control. You are suppose to be able to take it twice a day, but most people find they have to go to three times a day, like I do. Even then, I find now that it really only holds me for about six hours. That is when I need to use my breakthrough medication, Oxycodone, 15 mgs. The doc has me on one to one and a half (15-221/2 mgs) every four hours as needed. I sometimes have to take it in the middle of my Oxycontin dose as well, so as you might guess, I am in considerable pain almost all the time. It does diminish a little at times, but that is usually short lived. The biggest problem in taking these narcotic painkillers, is the tolerance your body builds up to them. I have been on this dose for about four months now and I'm starting to notice a difference in the relief I get when I take my medication. The doctor mentioned the last time I saw him we might have to consider going to four times a day or upping the doseage. Probably he would go to 100 or 120 mgs. I told him no, for now. I would like to wait as long as possible before I have to change it. Already it is really too high.

The pain I have is almost all on the left side and is constant. It does vary somewhat and I do get some very sharp hits from time to time. Bowel movements do not relieve the pain, as some people say it does for them. I do at times get some lessening of the pain, but it is always with me. My contant companion. I did try Bentyl, like you're on, early on when I was first diagonoised, but didn't have any luck as far as relief. I was also on Lotremin (I think that's right) for a couple months before they pulled it from the market last year. I really didn't seem to get much help from it either. I do take a calcium supplement.

Thanks again for responding and sharing your problem with me and all the others who suffer like we do. It's a tough one and at least for me, there doesn't seem to be a lot that can be done, short of keeping it somewhat under control with the pain meds. I'm open for any suggestions though, so if anyone out there can give any advice, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Director

Thank

Old 12-05-2001, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

roseamb HB User

Hi Director Do you have a first name ? I am so terribly sorry that you are n such pain Have you had your gall bladder out or been checked for Kidney stones? Boy I don t envey you being on such a strong drug I was up last night from 1:00 AM with Ibs "D" The pain was awful so I took a a Nu- Lev which made me upchuck, There is no end to this vicious cycle . I saw my Gasto doc yesterday and he said Take Lotmotil before each meal to prevnt D I have had all the test including a Colonoscopy. know paet of it is Fibro I guess changing diet and lessening strss goes alongway towards helping but it is awfuly hard to give up choclate and cookies. May be lastnight was a wake up call for me I hope you can get some relief soon. Good Luck Rose

Old 12-10-2001, 08:39 PM   #5

angelababy HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roseamb:
<B>Hi Director Do you have a first name ? I am so terribly sorry that you are n such pain Have you had your gall bladder out or been checked for Kidney stones? Boy I don t envey you being on such a strong drug I was up last night from 1:00 AM with Ibs "D" The pain was awful so I took a a Nu- Lev which made me upchuck, There is no end to this vicious cycle . I saw my Gasto doc yesterday and he said Take Lotmotil before each meal to prevnt D I have had all the test including a Colonoscopy. know paet of it is Fibro I guess changing diet and lessening strss goes alongway towards helping but it is awfuly hard to give up choclate and cookies. May be lastnight was a wake up call for me I hope you can get some relief soon. Good Luck Rose</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>rose i read what you said about the lomotil...i have that medicene...but i get kinda scared to take it. my doc has told me it could do more damage than good... tell me how u reacted when taking this...thank you angelababy

------------------
angelababy

Old 12-11-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angelababy...I read what you asked Rose, and even though she may reply, I wanted to also. I have taken it (Lomotil) off and on for several years without any problem what so ever. It is a very old drug (basically it's opium) that has been used for a long time to stop diarehea. I take Oxycontin for the pain, but also to slow the bowels. When things are real bad, I also have Lomotil to take.

I wouldn't be afraid of it. I'm not sure what your doctor meant, but I've never had one hint of a problem with it.

Old 12-11-2001, 06:20 PM   #7

angelababy HB User

thank you for letting me no that....i stay in alot of pain and also take pain meds...i have to go to the e.r.to get them because my doc thinks i will become addicted to them..and a lot of time's they just give me a shot and send me on my way...i've been dealing with ibs since i was 22 and it got worse since they took out my gallbladder....i have just lost all hope...thank you

------------------
angelababy

Old 12-12-2001, 11:22 AM   #8
Unregistered

For Angelababy...Concerning your last post and your pain problem with IBS. I think it's time you thought about another doctor. I wanted to give you some kind of idea how my problem was (and is) handled by my doctor. I feel very fortunate to have an understanding as well as compassionate doctor, who is willing to work with me on my problem. I originally wrote to these boards asking about other people who have IBS and if they have pain associated with it, as I do. It seems the majority do not have a serious pain problem, just the problems with bathroom visits at inopportune times, which causes a problem for most.

I went to the doctor because of the pain I was having in my lower left abdomenal area. I had all the tests done over a period of sevewral months, but during this time my doctor had me on medication to keep me as comfortable as possible. When you say you have to go to the ER for medication because your doctor won't give you any makes me think your doctor isn't looking after your best interests. That is, assuming you truly do have IBS and are in pain from it. I would look for a new doc. My doctor started me on Lortab 7.5 and then eventually increased it to the 10 mg. I was on the Lortab for about a year, but started building quite a tolerance to it, which caused some concern (for my doctor)because of the high levels of Tylenol I was consuming daily. He then switched me to the Oxycontin, 20 mg twice a day. To make this short, I had to have it increased until we reached a level where it handled my pain. That was somewhere in the 40 mg three times a day area. I'm currently up to 80 mg three times a day and take OxyIR for breakthrough pain, as well. All this medication, in addition to easing the pain also slows the bowels, which is the big problem when you have IBS. Like I mentioned eartlier, I also have Lomotil, which I take on days that are really bad. Usually, it works, but it might take a coupkle doses to do it. Because of the bowel spasams, I also have Klonipin, but only take it usually at bedtime. With the Oxy, it is just too sedating for me to take it during the day and try to work too.

I would give serious thoughts to checking into another doctor to go over your problems. Preferably, one that has some experience or backround with IBS patients and long acting opoiods, like Oxycontin, MS Contin or Methadone. You need to be able to be treated without running to the ER every time you have a flareup. I have pain every day, so I would be there all the time, if I didn't have my doctor.

Take care and the best of luck to you with your problems. I hope things work out for you. Please write in and let us know what you do and what happens.

Old 12-17-2001, 01:43 PM   #9
Inactive

Wowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB User

Hi Director,

First, I'm sorry to hear of the great pain you carry with you on a daily basis. My brother is a longtime chronic sufferer of this condition. I have seen him through year upon years of sleepless nights, massive weight loss, and trips to the hospital. It breaks my heart.

Two things:
I am concerned that you are on a medication that is so addictive. Currently, there is a lawsuit going on regarding Oxycontin because although it appears to be a great pain reliever, the dependency factor has altered many lives. I realize that sometimes you have to weigh one thing against the other; I understand that when dealing with something so debilitating like severe IBS symptoms, sometimes addition is better than suffering with daily ongoing pain. However, the addiction part of this medication is so little known and not widely understood, which is why doctors prescribed it in the past so freely. I see that you are already building up a tolerance - obtaining Oxycontin can be costly because it's difficult to obtain nowadays. I hope you have discussed this with your doctor. You may want to try an apothecary, who can specially mixed certain medications to help you find comfort without the addiction.

Also, my brother, who at times looks so undernourished that he looks like he's starving to death, has recently been put on digestive enzymes. He tried them before without much luck, but he has finally hit on a pill that works with his system. He is slowly putting on weight, and can finally eat something without the immediacy of pain and bathroom time right afterwards. It's a blessing.

It's been a trial for my brother. He is also on medication that can cause addiction, but since taking the enzymes, he takes less of the medication, which is a relief to the family and a blessing for him.

I wish you the best and I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 12-18-2001, 05:40 AM   #10

angelababy HB User

thanks director..for getting back to me.
i'v seen many,many doc's they all say the same thing about my (IBS)...there is not to much they can do for it and as bad as my can be they are afriad i will get addicted to the pain meds they feel that the bentyl should take care of the pain...they all no that i take ativan for my nerves and pantic attacts so they don't want to mix them together all thow they did gie me something new (LIBRAX) have not took it lond enough to no yet what it will do..my doc has been my doctor since i was about 12 years old he know's my hole life story...but he will but me in the hospital if it gets to mad like he has many times before..sometimes it just help's to talk to someone that know's what i'm going thru..it's been nine days and i have not eat anything thas how i keep my state of mind i can't handle the pain or the bathroom runs
thank you for listing

------------------
angelababy

Old 12-18-2001, 05:08 PM   #11
Unregistered

Angelababy:
If you have a condition and require certain treatment for it, your doctor should provide you with that treatment. None of us wants to "become addicted", but if we need something for the pain, your doctor should provide that medication. If you do indeed have IBS and your doctor won't prescribe anything for you, I urge you to seek out another doctor and at least get another opinion.

Check out my posts under the "Pain Management" thread (on these Boards) and you can tell just how cooperative my docotor has been with me. I don't know what I'd do without him. I know I wouldn't be leading the quality of life I am now leading and I certainly wouldn't be working fulltime.

Yes, I take opiate, long acting painkillers that are addictive. I have to in order to lead a somewhat normal life. I urge you to get the medical attention you need and deserve!

------------------
Director

Old 12-19-2001, 12:06 AM   #12

angelababy HB User

hi,director...
i had to see one of my doctor's today. i asked him about some pain meds and he told methat all pain meds would do in the long run would make it worse..they want me to go and stay at the hostpial for a few day's on my next flare up so they can teach me to deal with it..he said one of the reason i stay in pain and have a hard time eith it is because i'm not learning to deal with it..that i get up set..and that i get all stressed out and thta is what makes's it worse...he told me to give it some thought...i have for doc's trying to help me with this..i even see a headache doc they think i get the ibs because of my migraines..thanks for listening

------------------
angelababy

Old 12-20-2001, 09:32 AM   #13
(female)

roseamb HB User

Hi Angel baby So sorry to be so long in replying to your message Yes Lotmotil is safe I dont take it every day as I don't want to get depend it on it, My Gastroenterlogist said It was actually al right to take itbefore eating to prevent ISBS " D" but Iam still leery about taking it all the time Each person is different and you should work with your doc and find out what works best foryou God luck and God Bess Rose

Old 12-21-2001, 10:37 PM   #14

angelababy HB User

[rose....glad to hear from you...the frist two times i took lomatal...about 4 hrs after taking it i was in great pain. but i still take it here and there i was just afriad it might cause a blockage or something real bad like that i am never (C) sometimes i wish for it
thanks to ibs i don't have a life anymore been put thru the ringer u might say..just wish they would find something that would work and make it go away..hope ur having a good day..and a new year

------------------
angelababy

Old 12-25-2001, 09:57 PM   #15
Inactive

directorofnursing HB User

holly cow what Dr. would prescribe morphine(oxycontin) for a patient with IBS? That is just masking symptoms, and creating more problems with decreasd intestinal motility! i'd get a 2nd opinion!

Closed Thread