It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Inactive

darlene HB User
Colonoscopy

I have never had a colonoscopy before but was scheduled to have one and cancelled. I had about a week of mucus bloody diharrea, they took cultures and it showed no bacteria so the doc said I needed to have a colonoscopy. I do not want to have it but know I really do need one. I also have the diverticuli, no infection yet. Just how bad is the colonscopy? Sounds like real torture to me. Any reassurance?

Darlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #2
Inactive

directorofnursing HB User
Re: Colonoscopy

don't worry about the procedure, it's not bad....but the prep was awful for me!!! I had to drink something called co-lyte it tasted like a combo of melted plastic and salt, I had to drink a whole gallon in 2 hours yuck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
Unregistered

Hi,

I think that you should really go ahead and get it done if your doc suggested it, as blood and mucus in stools really needs to be investigated. It could be that you have some diverticulitis that is causing your symptoms or you may have IBS.

Probably the worst part is the bowel prep beforehand and for a few days afterwards you may find that you have a lot of gas and a sore and uncomfortable belly, but this does pass.

Anyway, go have it done. It will put your mind at rest in the long run.

Take care

Sarah

Old 03-21-2002, 07:49 AM   #4

Angie E HB User

You are asleep for a colonoscopy. Actually, of all the surgeries I've had, this was the easiest and least embarrassing, if you can believe it. They are very professional and I had no discomfort at all. Other than gas afterwards, so be sure to bring someone along you don't mind having gas around! Have someone drive you home and sleep all day. Next day, you feel right as rain! It really isn't bad at all. After you do it, you will chide yourself "why didn't I do this before?"

Angie E

Old 04-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #5

slapshot55 HB User

A colonoscopy is not that bad,..i had one ( was awake the whole time ) it was at worst a little embarassing, not terribly painful, they sedated me with valium before the procedure, ( neccessary for relaxing the muscles ) it took about a half hour,...

with your symptoms i would highly advise you get it checked out,..it may be nothing, in my case it was small cuts close to the exit, the cure was some strong hydrocortisone and some strained reaching,...

Old 04-12-2002, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User

I had one in 98 because of blood and mucus in my stool. The doctor said the bleeding can be a sign of several dangerous things, you really need to get it done! The hardest part IS the prep! The day before, I had to drink this two gallon jug of "Go-Lightly", but I had the whole day to do it. When I was finally cleaned out, I just passed bright red liquid. Of course I was scared! But the colonoscopy was not bad, I was out for it the whole time. You do have a lot of gas for the rest of the day, but that's it. It isn't painful or anything. I had a bleeding ulcer in my colon, so I'm glad I had it done. GET IT DONE! It can save your life if it's something serious, and I promise it isn't that bad. It is kind of embarrassing, of course I had a really cute doctor. HAHA! Good luck to ya, you'll do great!!!!

Closed Thread