It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Hi, braidrunna, how ya doin'?

Hi, braidrunna! I was just reviewing some of the IBS messages and realized I hadn't heard how you're doing with Colestid. Is the IBS/D better controlled now? Does the Colestid help or did you switch to something else? I review the messages quite often to see how others are doing.

I hope things are going well for you. As far as my IBS, some days I have "D" even with Colestid, but most days I don't and I thank my lucky stars on those days. I've tried cutting out my morning cup of coffee since that seemed to trigger almost all of my "D" attacks. I've only done it for 2 days, so to soon to tell if it makes a difference. This a.m. was fine; tomorrow could be a different story.

Post soon - I'd love to hear from you.

Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Hi, braidrunna, how ya doin'?

Gee Katie didn't you know---just take one day at a time!!!!

You done good---Harry<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 06-26-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2002, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, Harry - I thought by now you'd realize that I want a quick fix for a problem I've had for 20+ years - ha, ha.

Still waiting for my Vitamin Shoppe catalog. Will let you know how things are going when I can get started taking probiotics.

And yes, I have given up 1 cup of coffee a day (my first a.m. cup) and 3 days in a row have been good! Yippee!!! I'm just not ready to completely give up coffee - sorry.

I'll write to ya soon,
Katie

Old 07-11-2002, 10:21 PM   #4

braidrunna HB User

Heya Katie! I'm so sorry for not responding sooner. Life has just been so busy looking for a job and other stuff.

The Colestid did not work for me. I have just given up completely. I am still confined to my house it seems like. I have forgotten what it was like going out and eating and to meet new people. lol I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and see if there is anything else he can do for me. I guess when I go back to work I just won't be able to eat all day and have to wait til I get home. I just wish there was such a thing as gallbladder transplant. lol

Thanks for throwing my name up in lights! lol Talk to ya soon!

Old 07-12-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, braidrunna. I'm so sorry the Colestid didn't work. It has been my saving grace along with increased fiber, taking calcium supplements and now acidophilus capsules.

I hope the doc can find relief for you. I know how hard it is to plan ANYTHING when you've got to worry about your bowels. Before Colestid I was wearing a maxi pad every day - just in case I couldn't find a bathroom. Sometimes that didn't even help. I HATED living like that.

I will pray that you find a method that works for you. Keep me posted.

Take care,
Katie G

Old 07-12-2002, 05:26 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi,

I take Metamucil and Acidophilis for my stomach in addition to other natural therapies and have just started adding in calcium and magnesium supplements which are really helping.

I have been cutting out gluten and yeast from my diet, as it was mainly these things that were making my stomach bad in the first place. This is easier said than done, but it is worth it in the end. Just means lots of Tofu and Soda bread.

You could try calcium and magnesium supplements to see if they help your stomach. It could help, as your body becomes depleted when you have constant diarrhea.

Good luck.

Sarah

Old 07-12-2002, 06:30 PM   #7

braidrunna HB User

Heya Katie and Sarah! As I said I had another doctor's appointment today and he gave me some samples of a medicine called Robinul. Have you heard of it? He said that I was suppose to take it twice a day.

Question about the calcium. Do you take it in the multi-vitamin form or just calcium pill? What is the dosage? Also with the fiber, will the pills work just as good? What is acidophilus? I never heard of it.

I hope these new pills will work. I will keep you updated.

Thanks,
braidrunna

Old 07-15-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, braidrunna. Sorry, never heard of the med the doc prescribed. I hope it helps you - keep me posted.

As far as calcium supplements, I take the Walmart brand of Caltrate + D (which has "D" vitamin, magnesium, and other minerals) along with a multivitamin daily. I take 2 Caltrate (one at lunch and one at supper). Be sure to take them with food since they can be kinda hard on your stomach. Walmart and Target have generic brands of calcium + D which are just as good as the name brand.

As far as acidophilus capsules, I got mine at a pharmacy (they're OTC) and they are supposed to replace the good bacteria our intestines need and help with IBS symptoms. If you post a question to Harry on this board, he can really explain the use of acidophilus and has several good links to share with you regarding this. I'm waiting for a mail order vitamin/herbal supplements catalog to come to me so I can order even better supplements than the ones from the pharmacy. Once again, I got a lot of great information from Harry on this board, so I recommend sending a message to him and he'll respond to your questions.

As far as fiber, I prefer the Metamucil wafers. Some people swear by the pills or powder, but I just didn't like those methods. Once again, others on this board may have different preferences, but I like the taste of the wafers. Just be sure to drink plenty of fluid when taking fiber of any kind.

Good luck to you and keep me posted on your IBS progress. As you know, we can only take it one day at a time, and I hope you'll find the relief you need.

Katie G

Old 07-16-2002, 07:58 PM   #9

braidrunna HB User

Heya Katie! I'll have to get me some calcium and multi-vitamin pills for sure. I'll have to post to Harry and ask him about more information about that other pill.

I will definitely let you know how these new pills work out. Keep in touch with me about yourself too!

braidrunna

Closed Thread