It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2001, 05:59 PM   #1

keffier HB User
extreme constipation and difficulty urinating

Suggestions or Advise Appreciated!...'Have experieced constipation for sometime and now I am finding it difficult to urinate. To help ease the constipation I've tried the Metamucil
and MiraLax Route and they work only for a short time. I've monitored my fiber and water intake without much improvement. It seems that no matter how I try to empty my bowels I always feel that there is still more waiting at the end of the pipe,...but the end of the pipe locks up! It seems I've progressed to the use of a FLEET to get some kind of relief. What's Next?
Somebody out there.....HELP!

Old 01-13-2001, 11:37 PM   #2

Moon HB User
Re: extreme constipation and difficulty urinating

Fiber and water intake are not a treatment, it's a way of life! You take a couple of spoonfulls of Metamucil in the morning in a large glass of water (and I mean really large ) and a couple before you go to bed. It will take several days until you move the hardened concrete out of your system. Metamucil will not work for the stuff you already hardened!! But it will keep the food you put in from now on from getting so hard. If you don't ddrink at least 8 glasses of water a day (8 ounces each, and not coffee, colas or tea, drink water!) then you will have to give your body the water it's begging you for trough the other end. (fleet) It's really your choice, how do you prefer to take your water, from top or from the bottom? (I know, it's a dirty pun) But any how, just think of what is going on in your intestine, you are asking it to move the food and do all the digesting without the water it needs. This is the same as pouring concrete down your sink and not putting in enough water. It will harden in the pipe! If you don't like water, get a good filter and intall it on your fauces to fridge. Or buy bottled water.

"If you drink the water, it will come"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2001, 08:44 AM   #3

keffier HB User

Thanks Moon! You know you gave me a better answer than my GI who tested me with every test imaginable. Yes that is a fACT! Not one time did he mention the importance of water in relation to bowel movements. Sure he handed me a pamplet and I did see it mentioned water.But the importance of water is not mentioned as being crucial to bowel movements. Our life is so bombarded with pamplets and literature, who reads them with interest any more and who can tell what is important and what is not.
Your explaination and examples sure got me thinking. I am grateful that I found this forum.What a great service..I'll keep you posted on whether there is improvement. Again..thanks!

Old 01-24-2001, 11:43 AM   #4

angeline HB User

I was also on MiraLax and found that it only worked the first day or two. What I would do was take it every other day and it seemed to work. My insurance company didn't cover it though, so I just stopped getting it, it cost me $24 for that bottle of powder, and I couldn't afford it every 3 weeks.

Water really is the key...and when we slack off a fleet is the only way to be comfortable. Although I think I'm the first one to use "fleet" and "comfortable" together in one sentence.

Good Luck, Everyone!

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

Old 01-24-2001, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

babesbarn HB User

It appears that the constipation is gone for the moment anyway.He is getting on a steady GO! The Constolose and stool softeners along with water is making time on the Throne not such a though task of labor. BTW..the Miralax is twenty dollars where I live.

Closed Thread