It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2002, 11:38 PM   #1

ADepressedGuy HB User
How BAD can the pain get? .. my pain..

I have been suspected of having simple IBS.. here is my problem..

My pains start off, they are not constant, they come in like contractions, similar to the one's women have in labor, last for a minute,and fade off, a few minutes later the second one comes in, and is more painful, they keep this pattern up until the last one's roll in and the pain is so intense it would makea grown man cry, it makes me get in the fetal position clenching my teeth wanting to die, very intense, towards the end of the cycle, I have a huge diarhea episode and the pain is relived and gone...

anyone have it like this? or does this not sound like IBS?

Old 04-20-2002, 02:39 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: How BAD can the pain get? .. my pain..

Hi,

Unfortunately, this sounds very much like IBS and it is a pretty familiar scenario. That is at least one of the features that you have cramping/spasmodic type pains in your belly that are so severe they double you up. You then sit on the toilet and in most cases the pain is relieved by opening your bowels, whether this is diarrhea or constipation.

I have IBS too and about three weeks ago now, I started having episodes of really bad pain in my belly and I would then either have diarrhea or be stuck on the toilet for 30 mins at a time. However, the pain was releived after having a BM. I also went to see a doc again to make sure and he thought I could also have had a stomach virus. That may be a possibility in your case.

Just a thought, but you could try sitting on the toilet when you first get the pain. When you have the pain the first couple of times, go and sit on the toilet and try to have a BM. If you say that your belly feels better after a BM, then if you try to sit on the toilet earlier, it could prevent the pain from becoming really intense?

Has your doc done other tests on you to exclude other causes? such as blood work, examination of your belly plus an ultrasound and any other necessary tests that the others showed up?

Are you doing all the dietary things, such as good all round diet, plenty of fluid, Metamucil on a daily basis. This can help diarrhea as well as constipation? Also, live yogurt and or Acidophilis caps?

Hope this helps?

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2002, 10:25 PM   #3

Aerosmith22 HB User

You should see your doctor, even if it is only IBS .. do you have blood in the stool? G'luck.

-JD<p>[This message has been edited by Aerosmith22 (edited 04-21-2002).]

Old 04-20-2002, 10:29 PM   #4

ADepressedGuy HB User

I've actaully had this for many years, the first "contraction" is bareable, but each one after that get's longer and more and more painful each time. I have tried to sit and have a BM, but my body likes to make me suffer, it won't let anything out usually until after a hour of this cycle of pain, it's a growing intense pain with each "contraction" unlike any other pain I have felt, laced in are sharp stabbing pains, it leaves me doubled over, moaning, listerally wanting to die, and the BM is almost always diahrhea, this happens about twice a week, each episode a hour. I'm not seeing any certain foods triggering it, it's the type of pain that you want to go to the ER and have them put you to sleep, but you can't move because it's just too intense. It is relived after the BM, during the episode I usually break into drenching sweats with the pain, but as soon as it the BM happens, I'm fine. It's like nothing ever happened, but the dread of the next episode hangs over my head until it happens a few days to a week later.

Just curious if anyone experiences this, on this severe of a level, and if so, what was it? <p>[This message has been edited by ADepressedGuy (edited 04-21-2002).]

Old 04-21-2002, 02:33 AM   #5
Unregistered

Hi,

As I said in my last post, it sounds very much like IBS, especially as you have had it for so long and due to the intervals between your symptoms.

Have you been to see your doc about this and had all possibilities excluded, such as infections, diverticulitis, colitis and others?

As I posted before, try the fluid, metamucil and acidophilis caps and see if they help.

It does sound like IBS and yes the pains in your belly can be very severe. I have had pain before now that have doubled me up also. However, do go and see your doc to exclude other things. From the pain you describe, it sounds as if your whole bowel is going into spasm and therefore your doc may be able to give you some anti-spasmodic medication to help. Mebeverine is one or Buscopan.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Old 04-21-2002, 05:09 PM   #6

ADepressedGuy HB User

Thanks, I will probably need meds .. went into it for about another hour this morning, sometimes I seriously feel like I'm going to die, it gets scarey. If it is IBS, it must be a severe case, but I'm not going to rule out ulcerative colitis and chron's .. I have very poor BM's in my normal rourine days, always falling apart and clumpy, stringy, foul smelling, yellow and sometimes very dark.. other times just diarhea, and sometimes dry and pale, hard (sorry for the descriptive run down).. runs in my family, my dad has SEVERE digestive diseases through the entire tract.. I have all the symptoms as well from GERD to gallstones to diverticulitis (this pain is unrelated to diverticulits, because I have that as well..this pain is far worse) .. ect, ect.. I'll go see the doctor again and see if we can confirm anything and get me on medications.. thanks again.<p>[This message has been edited by ADepressedGuy (edited 04-21-2002).]

Old 04-21-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Diarrhea depletes your body of needed nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, potassium and alot of other trace minerals and vitamins. Cramping can be caused by the lack of any of these. It has also been found that people with diarrhea need 40% more protein in their diet so that they don't lose muscle mass. Loss of muscles in the Gastro system and as well as other organs--can have bad--bad effects.The Heart is one organ that can be affected.

I also think you need to increase your fiber intake--(Metamucil or Citrucel) are both safe stool forming agents that can be taken daily and you need to get your intestinal bacteria back in-balance with yogurt and a probiotic capsule.Like Sarah suggested. Diarrhea just washes alot if not all of your intestinal Flora AWAY.

God Bless---Harry<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 04-21-2002).]

Old 04-21-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
(male)

D@N HB User

That cramping reminds me of an episode I had a few years ago. After eating a raw piece of pepperoni from a salad bar (that was all I ate) I began to feel sick within a few hours. That turned into one of the worst bowel pains I have ever had. I laid in bed, in the fetal position while these "contractions" came on slowly and increasing in intensity. I thought my gut was going to bust.
After doing this for about 2 hours the bottom finally fell out and I was getting rid of some really toxic looking stuff. The smell was so bad I was throwing up while sitting on the john.
The doc said it was bacterial and my body did its job in getting rid of it. It really sounds to me like you MIGHT have a bacterial infection that is reoccuring. I say that because your symptoms are so close to what I had during that ONE episode.
If that is the case then the next step would be to find the source of infection. Also, the advice offered by Harry on fiber and dietary needs is also excellent.
Good luck....
D@N

Old 04-22-2002, 06:41 AM   #9

ADepressedGuy HB User

I know what you mean D@n ... I don't know how well I have relayed this.. the pain you describe is like mine.. EXTREME .. I don't know if pain this severe is common, that's why I don't want to write it off as IBS and leave it alone.. it has ruined my life .. it happens once to twice a week for years with the occasional month break from it.. It puts me in pain that is too hard to describe.. the "contractions" get worse and worse each time, to the point of seriously thinking I'm going to die tot he point of WANTING to die to get it over with, by then I can't call anyone, I can't talk, I am choking back everything inside, I feel like it's the end.. and then, as you said, the botom falls out..and it's very foul smelling and burns for a long time.. just some intense oddly-colored diarhea... I can't quit talking about the pain though, it's something you never forget, .. I break into DRENCHING sweats, as the contraction starts I just grab on to something and tkae a deep breath and it increases and gets worse and by then I'm clenching teeth and groaning, next thing I'm literally yelling in pain... and then it fades, after the BM, it's like nothing happened.. no pain at all... other than that, it's been a lonnnnng time since I've seen one my my "normal" BM's look "normal" .. I have about 4-5 BM's a day.. This pain is my entire intestines it feels likes.. and between contractions I can hear swishing and growling and swooshing and hings moving aorund in there and then in my lower back, and then it exits me.. and then comes another "contraction" that lays me out.. I just couldn't see a bacteria infection being there for the past 10 years ... but I really don't know.. and I don't tink the doctor knows, he'll write it off as something.. but with pain this severe, I have a feeling they will find something more serious such as chron's .. I appreciate all the replies I've been getting everyone.. I'm going to start metamucil today.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:51 AM   #10
(female)

Kim HB User

We have IB and take flax oil caps. It has help a lot but, now and then we still get the really bad attacks. Then we take a med the doc gave us that he wanted us to take daily but, we find that we don't need it to often since the Flax oil. It's called Hyoscyamine that works pretty quickly.

The gastro told us that we had IB and that we could but, didn't need the test for it. He did do the gastric reflux testing (scopeing) and we now take Prilosec and Nexium. Hope you see the doctor soon and get relief.

------------------
Take care ~Kim & Gary~

Old 04-22-2002, 12:45 PM   #11
Unregistered

Hello,

There is no specific test for IBS. The way a diagnosis of IBS is made is when all other tests come back negative. It is a diagnosis by exclusion.

I would just like to know one thing though, if you have been having these severe stomach pains all these years and with the history that exists in your family also, why have you not had tests for crohns and colitis well before now? Has no doctor ever bothered, or have you just not asked? After all, you seem convinced that you have these anyway rather than IBS? Yes, IBS pain can be that severe. It is the peristaltic action of the gut pulling when it should be pushing and working in opposite directions that causes severe spasmodic and cramping type pain such as yours. It can also produce spasms in the bowels itself as well as your belly.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #12

ADepressedGuy HB User

I can't take it anymore, so I'm getting tests soon...

I haven't ruled anything in or out yet.. I just don't know how pain like this can be part of IBS, a very common stomach disorder... It does sound like what you describe could cause my pain.. I've seen a woman got hrough a chron's attack and she was screaming, in contractions that came and went, it was loking similar to the misery I was in, so that's why I mentioned Chron's and colitis.. if it is simple IBS, are there special treatments for those of us with the extremely severe forms of IBS that experience pains of this amgnitude, this often? It's getting more frequent and it's very had to live like this, fearing the next attack...I really apprecaite the info you have provided, you've been a great help... I'll leav you alone after this question &gt;=o] about the treatments (perscriptions, surgical?)... thanks again.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:25 AM   #13
Unregistered

Hi,

There is always the possibility that it is Crohn's, as this can affect the whole GI tract and if this was diagnosed, then yes, there are treatments avaiable for it.

However, you could also have food allergies that are making your stomach worse. You just need to continue with a good all round diet and drinking plenty of fluid. Carry on with the Metamucil, it will help to bind and stop the diarrhea. From the spasms that you describe, it does sound like you probably need to take an anti-spasmodic to help settle your bowels. These include Mebeverine taken before meals or Buscopan is also helpful. It relaxes the muscles of your bowel and hopefully should stop them going into spasm. Also, carry on with the Acidophilis caps. They are always a good idea for the bacteria.

If you have severe pain too with explosive diarrhea Codeine Phosphate can also be useful to take.

I do know what the pain is like and I am sorry that yours is so bad. The last time my stomach was bad, my pain was so severe that I had to call an emergency doc out, who after examining my belly had to give me an injection to get my pain under control again.

Anyway, hope this helps and post back with the results and I hope you have nothing more serious than IBS, although having said that, it is sometimes bad enough?

Good luck and take care.

Sarah

Old 04-28-2002, 03:14 PM   #14

tummyache HB User

To the person who posted about having severe cramping (like labor pains), diahrrea, breaking out in a sweat, etc. etc. I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN!!!! I have suffering from IBS for almost 10 years now and I think I've finally got a handle on it from a very wise (much older than most doctors these days) gastro doctor that I saw a couple of weeks ago.

I was in tears. I am a young wife and mother of three small children, work at home and take care of my kids. My life was miserable. My daughters were always asking me if I had a tummy ache because they knew I was always in pain. Let me tell you, as a mother of 3....what you are experiencing is VERY MUCH THE SAME as labor pains. To me, the people on this list who's pain only lasted for an hour or so before they were able to have a bowel movement are lucky! (I know that doesn't sound very nice...but hear me out) My pains would go anywhere from 20 minutes up to 5-6 hours before I could get a bowel movement. It was awful and was impacting my life.

Finally, I broke down a couple of weeks ago and saw a gastro doc because I couln't take it anymore and the meds that I was taking (Librax) was no longer helping me. I had lost almost 15 lbs. in ONE MONTH. I was ready for any test he was to put me through and I'm not even 30! Colonoscopy, gastro tests, you name it...I was ready. I was in tears in his office.

Do you know what he said to me? He said that I needed to simply eat right. I needed to concentrate on eating 5 vegetable servings a day and 2 fruit servings a day. After I had eaten all that, then I could eat anything else I wanted if I felt like it. I was shocked and thought to myself, "This guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about." He also gave me NuLev which is a high concentration pill that dissolves under your tongue for cramping. You can take as much as you want when the pain comes.

I tried this new diet....and guess what! By the second day I was like a new person. Energy, vibrant, no cramping, regular bowel movements that DIDN'T HURT, and I had myself back. It was like a miracle. I have been that way ever since. As long as I eat my 5 veggies and 2 fruits and drink lots of water (even tea, gatorade and stuff like that can count as water intake) then I'm good to go. Healthy and ready for anything! NO MORE PAIN!!! Try it, you'll see it really works.

Old 04-28-2002, 07:53 PM   #15
Unregistered

Hey, Depressed: I feel your pain... really, but we do have options. Ideally it would be great if a change of diet was the answer for us all, and it certainly can't hurt. But this is what makes IBS the monster it is-- its many symptoms and ever-changing patterns. My Doc is very optimistic about the release of meds. that have gone through all the test phases and have been found to be very, very successful in treating IBS finally!!! One that I've been keeping my eye on is called Fedotozine. But until the drug companies finish fighting over who gets the sale rights my Doc is helping me with reg. narcotics. I gladly take these for now because I believe healing is around the corner for us all. Praise God! p.s. gotta do somthing about the depressed in your name. Peace, Roadstar

Closed Thread