It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2002, 03:29 PM   #1

kristi9101 HB User
Ibs

I am 21 and I have IBS. I have every single stomach symptom that you could think of. Sometimes my stomach will hurt extremely bad after I eat or it also hurts when I have not aten. I also on occasion get the chills severe and my stomach hurts and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom but I don't. Has anyone heard of this chills thing or have any suggestions for my IBS problems?

Old 07-08-2002, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: Ibs

Hi, kristi. IBS symptoms are multiple and varied. You need to see your doc to rule out more serious conditions that have similar symptoms to IBS. Stomach pains before and after eating could be related to ulcers and should be diagnosed by a doctor. After your doctor determines if you have IBS or something else, he or she can then determine the best course of treatment for you. We're all here for you on this board as well.

Good luck,
Katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #3
Unregistered

If you have chills in addition to your belly pains, you could have stomach flu, but do see a doc and get it checked out.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

EddieDean HB User

I am 23 and my symptoms sound a LOT like yours. I usually feel okay, but after I've eaten I have to go to the bathroom like RIGHT AWAY and I get the chills/pain that goes along with this. Usually I can tell when I'm getting sick...the first few bites of anything feels fine, but beyond that I know it's only a matter of time.

This really has interfered with my social life. Whenever I go out to eat with friends or take a trip to visit someone, I'm embarassed to always be running to the bathroom. I've noticed that eating smaller portions more often seems to help a bit, and I also take fiber pills (Citrucel). Still not sure how much that is helping, but I'm trying!!

If you find anything that works, let me know! Until then, just know you aren't alone....though sometimes it certainly feels like it since this isn't something that seems to effect young people very often. Best wishes!

Old 07-09-2002, 05:21 AM   #5
Unregistered

Hi Eddie,

Have you seen your doc for an exam, blood tests and other tests to determine whether you have IBS or something else?

With symptoms such as yours, it could be that you have some sort of infection, bacterial or otherwise that would need to be treated with antibiotics.

Metamucil twice daily is good to take as this will firm up your stools. It is helpful for both diarrhea and constipation and as it is water soluble, it is ok to take regularly. If you need a stool softener, then sodium docusate is good.

Also, a good diet with plenty of fruit and veg and carbs. Plenty of fluid, 2 to 3 litres daily is recommended. Try to cut out excess coffee, alcohol, chips and soda drinks, as these can all make a bad stomach worse.

Peppermint water and Aloe are quite good for settling your belly also.

If you are an anxious sort of person, try some meditation exercises such as Yoga or Qi Gong meditation which includes deep breathing exercies. If you do have IBS, then stress can make the symptoms worse.

You do need to see your doc though if you have not done so already, so that he can examine your belly fully, take bloods and maybe do an ultrasound scan of your belly if indicated. It may also be worth taking a stool sample along for testing too.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Old 07-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi,

Just some food for thought. I just read an article about colon cleansing. I thought it had some interesting points supported by the medical research it claimed has been done. If any one tries this - please let me know how you feel afterwards.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:19 PM   #7

ldtblue HB User

I just found out I had IBS. I have been suffering from it for years. Just there was not a doctor who took it seriously. I am interested in things I can eat that will not bother my stomack. I am taking Probiotica daily and lots of pepermint. I would like to be able to keep in touch with people who have IBS. I need a support group. People who do not have IBS think we are just cry babieis about a little diarea. Little do they know the pain we endure. I also live on Amodium Ad. thank you LDT

Closed Thread