It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2002, 06:33 AM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
IBS condition, multiple physicians

Ok, I definitely do not know what do. The result of my last test stated that IBS was a temporary condition that will get less with time. However, there are times when I can function normally and other times when it is sooo bad that i cannot function well.
Have you consulted multiple physicians to get more info? Have this helped or made you more confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 07:33 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: IBS condition, multiple physicians

Hi,

I saw a couple of docs when I was first diagnosed and both of them said IBS. However, at some stage you actually need to stop and start dealing with it.

Whether it is long or short term sometimes depends on the causes of it. Some IBS can also be caused by food allergies, such as lactose intolerance. In this case you would need to be tested for and avoid dairy products. What I mean is food allergies are allergies in themselves, but can make IBS symptoms worse.

If your IBS has a stress and emotional component, then you need to deal with this aspect of it to help your stomach.

When first diagnosed, I took a lot of meds from the doc to help. I have now stopped or reduced a lot of these, as I have found things that work better for me personally. I still take Metamucil, acidophilis caps and natural remedies for pain and flare ups when I have them, which I am glad to say is not very often now.

I also have acupuncture and practice Qi Gong meditation techniques to reduce stress. This teaches you to breathe from your belly and can really help you relax and reduce the pain.

Anyway, at some point you need to stop seeing the docs and start trying to sort out the problem. Some people can have a sort of reactionary IBS that will resolve over time, such as after a breavement and others can live with it for years. It just depends.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: IBS condition, multiple physicians

Hi, frustrated. IBS is a aggrevating condition that for some people improves over time with dietary or lifestyle changes. I have struggled with IBS for 20+ years, and have finally found one doctor (my family doc) who helps me through it and is very understanding. We've tried different meds, and finally found something that works the best for me. It's important to rule out allergies, viral infections, other more serious bowel diseases, etc., and then you learn to live with IBS. It's chronic, and there will be good times where it seems almost non-existent and there will be very bad days of dealing with it. Find a doctor who can work with you on medications or diet, or lifestyle changes that work for YOU. Everyone is different on their response to IBS, and what works for me may not work for someone else. Also, go to Barnes & Noble (or any bookstore), and buy books about IBS. There are many good ones out there, and the information I've read in them has helped me tremendously. Keep searching the 'net as well for new treatments for IBS. And more than anything - hang in there - IBS is just another part of you, and will not control your life if you don't let it. Acceptance of this chronic condition has helped me more than anything.

I wish you well,
Katie G

Closed Thread