It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2002, 04:29 PM   #1

cannel HB User
recommendations for detoxification/ cleansing diet? please

Any recommendations for a short term detoxification/ cleansing diet?

Specifically, my mother and I would like something:
a. disciplined, to give us a swift kick in the rear for the start of a healthier living regimen.
b. palatable, perhaps progressive so itís not impossible to maintain. For example, if it involves fasting or beet juice (yuk) we could do that for only 1-2 days and then transition to something more satisfying. But if it had broader choices we could do it for 5 days, a week, or two.
c. cleansing, but not depleting. A comprehensive approach which addresses energy level and balance.

Our physical concerns that led us to the idea of such a diet include:
a. distended stomach (bloating). This is the main reason my mom wants a program. She doesnít know whatís causing it and could really use help in combating it. Sheís very motivated to purge and cleanse her body.
b. general fatigue
c. weight gain (20 pounds each) in last year...would like to reverse trend and get more physically fit.

Things that have helped me in the past:
a. water, Ďnuff said.
b. elimination of wheat products (rice and corn instead) has helped me with heart burn, extreme nausea, and constipation. (sorry for specificity)

Based on this information, what are your recommendations? Please be specific if thereís a program name you know of, or recipes, or rules. If you know of something NOT to do, please tell me, too. Thank you, and (in advance) I appreciate your help.

Iím posting this message on several healthboards forums, so I can get plenty of input and because it doesnít quite fit tidily in one classification...alternative medicine, bowel disorders, diet and nutrition, digestive disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, weight loss. Sorry for the redundancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
(male)

HRH HB User
Re: recommendations for detoxification/ cleansing diet? please

Gee you don't want much do you???
I think you should consult the right kind of doctors and GO see them.

There boards are for peer support!!! I guess what you want is somebody to do all your research???

Good luck---Hazel

Old 06-07-2002, 12:33 AM   #3

cannel HB User

Hazel- I am sorry and really surprised to have provoked this response from you. Iíve been visiting this site for quite some time and was heartened by the support and advice the community members give each other. Others on this forum are likely to find this discussion relevant...so hopefully future advice will be constructive. I do appreciate your suggestions to see a doctor and do research and assure you that I have been very proactive in maintaining good health and researching ways to live more healthfully. And of course I have found a wealth of information on detoxifying diets. In posting this topic, I wished to consult people with actual experience. Relying entirely on healthboards for information and support would be foolishly advised, as you know. In answer to your question, I, too, am here for peer support rather than research services. Our intentions on this board may not be as dissimilar as you suspect.

Back to the topic: To clarify what may have been an unclear question: I have used a number of techniques to lessen the symptoms of IBS fairly successfully. My question is if anybody has had success with a short term 2-day to 2-week program to cleanse the system even more? A one-day fast and then two days of just fruit and gallons of water has been suggested as a slightly disruptive (churning stomach) but long term stomach calming approach. Iím doing much better since I lowered my carb (wheat, specifically) intake, started taking fiber supplements, and started the whole vitamin regime (A, B-complex, C, Calcium, Magnesium Citrate, E, Selenium, Omega 3ís, peppermint oil, chamomile tea, and some others, in personalized quantities) a year ago but sometimes the nausea just comes out of nowhere and knocks me down, I get feverish and sweaty and then start to freeze. I know these symptoms are different from much of IBS, but itís been diagnosed and Iíve benefited from doctorís suggestions. Any additional suggestions from you all? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2002, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi C,

Bloating is usually caused by not having the right kind of intestinal bacteria/flora present. I suggest you eat Stonyfield Farm yogurt that contains 6 active cultures--of course 2 organisms are alway required to make any type of yogurt. Take one PB-8 probiotic capsule at bedtime.It contains several Good cutures that are not in yogurt or Probiotica. To re-balance/ re-colonize your GI tract also take "Probiotica" pill once daily. This should take care of bloating as well as help digestion.

The best books I've read on dieting is "Protein Power" and the ZONE books. The object is to reduce simple carbs so you don't develop diabetes and all the problems that this horrible illness has that significantly affect every organ in the body. These programs with some modifications will assist you in weight loss. The books are good guides but you can and should modify them to suit your needs. Like no bacon/ham, nothing canned.

I am not a big believer in purging and cleansing. I think it can wash away the good intestinal flora as well as vital nutrients. I use psyllium husk----It's safe to use daily, it regulates your bowels and it cleans the folds and pockets in the entire Gastro system. Purging and cleanwsing really can release antigens as well as toxins that can mess up your GI tract that may take months if not years to correct. If you do this I suggest you find GOOD medical care professional to direct you. I have known some people that have tried with extremely poor results.

You need to be on a Very Good vitamin/mineral and other supplement program. Including antioxidants and steam distilled water only.

Twinlabs Daily Two w/o iron is good to start with extra vit Ester C at least 1000mgs daily, E take at least 800 IU Total of natrual type daily, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Grape Seed Extract, a good digestive enzyme with every meal, essential fatty acid caps.

God Bless---Harry

Old 06-08-2002, 06:08 PM   #5

lusty22 HB User

A good idea is buying a juicer and juicing cabbage which is a cleanser to the entire digestive system, a colon healer, and a cancer fighter. I also juice carrots, apples and lemons. Taking enzymes is very important too as no one gets enough in the food we eat. They aid in digestion and assimilation of vitamins and minerals. they also allow for weight loss as you are digesting better. If you are digesting food correctly you will not have that bloat. Pineapple helps alot too. i eat dried for a snack and it contains bromelain which is an enzyme. The yogurt Harry spoke of is great also. It is all about balance. Green tea(organic) is a digestive aid also. Have you ever cleansed yourself with an herbal parasite remedy? Doing that first and being totally cleaned out and then beginning all these things on a regular basis is the best thing. Most people do not realize how clogged the colon gets from our American diet.

Closed Thread