It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2002, 03:04 PM   #1

DianeMarie73 HB User
differance between IBS and a serios problem?

can anyone tell me the differance between pain with IBS and a serious female problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Unregistered

Re: differance between IBS and a serios problem?

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to differentiate between IBS pain and other types of belly pains. Normally, IBS pain is likely to be spasmodic or severe cramping type pain in nature and will normally be underneath your belly button and to the left hand side of your belly, which is over your anus/rectum. The pain will normally be associated with diarrhea or constipation and you may feel like your stomach is upset.

With female problems, such as ovarian cysts or endometriosis you may have pain lower in your belly, which maybe more severe in nature and is not always associated with diarrhea. Pain with female problems will normally get worse around the time of your period or ovulation. You could also have pain and discomfort in your vagina and your belly and you may have pain when you have sex too. Normally, you would tend not to get diarrhea, but this is not always true, as your bowels are so close, it is always possible.

These are just some pointers for you as a rough guide, but it is very hard to differentiate with belly pain and if you have pain like this then please go and see your doc or GYN and get yourself checked out. Explain to your doc and get bloods done and possibly a USS of your belly, plus a vaginal.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2002, 08:15 PM   #3

DianeMarie73 HB User

I am calling the dr tomorrow I had a bad attack that lasted over an hour it felt like labor pains and now my belly is still sore its across the whole pelvic area. i had a little releif when I had a bowel movement but it came right back. This happened about 8 hours ago. I still have 2 weeks until my period comes. I feel fatiged and I think I have a low fever. ps my mom had endo and ended up with a total hyterectomy. Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 05-20-2002, 02:02 PM   #4

HDChick10 HB User

I go through the exact same thing. Only, I cant seem to get my doctor to take me seriously. I've been trying to find information on what it could be so at least I have some knowledge when I go see my doctor (or another doctor) again. Could you please let me know more about your symptoms.
Thanks,
Karen

Old 05-21-2002, 09:00 AM   #5

DianeMarie73 HB User

I've had stomache problems all of my life. I have constant nausea and pain in the pit of my stomach. my lower stomach has gotten better as far as the diahrea and pain goes but I still get cramps alot but this episode I had sunday was unbareable it was exactly like labor pains so I'm so confused to what this is I've never had that much pain exept in labor. I'm also very tired and have been since this happened and my pelvic area is still sore. I also have felt like I've had a low grade fever off and on.

Old 05-24-2002, 04:53 AM   #6
Unregistered

Hi,

If you have had long-term problems with belly ache and diarrhea, have you ever been diagnosed with IBS?

Do you think that you still have a fever? Is this a new or a recent thing that has happened? If the pain is low down in your belly and over your uterus, you may have some kind of infection in that area. Are you having any problems passing urine? I only ask as cystitis can cause you severe pains in your belly and you may well have a fever with it. It could also be other gynae problems such as endometriosis or PID.

Go see your doc again for investigations and tests if you have not already.

Good luck and post back.

Sarah

Old 05-24-2002, 06:53 AM   #7

DianeMarie73 HB User

I don't think I still have a fever I have been DX with IBS but I don't like the term IBS it's the same thing
is saying I'm giving up I just have to live this way. Some Doctors throw IBS around because they don't know what's wrong I hate that I beleive there is a reason why my stomach has been nausous and painful everyday of my life. Also the pelvic pain is new. Hurt like heck!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #8
Unregistered

Hi,

I know how frustrating it can be, but firstly, if the pelvic pain is new, I think you ought to get it checked out. As I said, it could be that you have a PID or something such as endometriosis that needs investigating.

As for the IBS, unfortunately, if you have had all the blood tests done and further scans and investigations of your belly and bowels, then the only diagnosis that can be arrived at is IBS. It is a diagnosis that is done by eliminating other more serious diseases, so you have to tell yourself, that at least you do not have anything more serious however bad your stomach pains maybe.

The reason for your belly aches will probably have an emotional or stress element and could also be allergy based, so you need to find a good doc who will understand your symptoms and what you are going through and can work with you at finding you the best meds to help your symptoms. I would also suggest that you try all the alternative medications. A lot of people on these boards find them very helpful, including myself.

Alternatives include diet modification, Metamucil, Acidophilis caps, sometimes flax seed oil, pepermint tea, calcium and magnesium supplements if you have diarrhea, homeopathic remedies and acupuncture. Also try some meditation to reduce your stress levels.

I know that it is frustrating, but in the end, I think you have to accept your problem and then start to find remedies that will work for you to keep it under control.

Personally, I use homeopathic remedies and acupuncture, acidophilis and metamucil and most of the time my stomach is good.

Hope this helps and don't despair, you are not alone.

Take care

Sarah

Old 05-27-2002, 09:44 AM   #9

DianeMarie73 HB User

Thanks I've been taking acidophilus and trying some other things I do have alot od food intolerances and allergies but It's so hard to stick to such a limited diet.

Closed Thread