It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

laria82 HB User
Ibs

Hi all,
Im having a really bad time right now with IBS its never been this bad before(that I can remember). I was wondering if anyone knew if IBS is a proggesive thing? Does it keep getting worse? I've had it since I was 5 years old and I am 19 now. It really bites being sooo young and not being able to eat what I want and do what I want. Half of the time my stomach is so bad all I can do is sit around.
Also I have this weird thing that is very hard to explain. I dont burb normal burbs. Most people think that I am hiccuping (thats what my burbs sound like) But I do this all the time, after I eat anything, or drink stuff I have these weird burbs. Is this something that comes with IBS? Does anyone else have this problem? Its not something I can control either, it just happens like normal burb would, just more often.
Man, sometimes I feel so alone cause I havent met anyone else with stomach problems and my boyfriend gets so sick of hearing me complain about my stomach, he tells me to just suck it up. He thinks im overacting but he doesnt know how it feels.
If anyone has any info. it would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks for listening to my constant complaining guys!
Lara

Old 04-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: Ibs

Hi laria82,
I guess from what I've seen of others, there are different stages and levels of discomfort and pain that people experience. I recently started getting really bad pain attacks that have left me sitting around as well. So, yes, in my case and in many other cases this is a progressive thing. Either way, I can understand your relief if you find out that other people are going through the same, and that there is support out there. That is what this particular board is dedicated for, as well as other internet bulletin boards. If you wish to find out about other people's experiences, you can read many of the posts on this board and other boards. Good luck, and I hope this helps. BTW: you will see a lot of us complain as well. This is a good place to get understanding and compassion for your complaints.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
Unregistered

Hi Lara,

No, you are not alone.

As you may already know, IBS is a condition that is diagnosed by a process of elimination - blood tests, uss scans, endoscopies/colonoscopies that have all come back negative. As there are no other physical causes found a doc would diagnose IBS.

You ask about is it progressive. My opinion in this case would have to be no in the sense that as IBS is not technically a disease, but a condition, so in that sense of the word, it cannot be progressive. However, a condition can be aggravated by certain other factors.

You say that your stomach is bad at the moment? Have your stress levels been increased or do you have any particular worries or anxieties that are making them worse at present? If you are more anxious, then your stomach will be worse.

You could always try keeping a food diary too. You may have noticed that certain foods make your belly better or worse or you could have food allergies.

Are you on any meds at present? When you say that your stomach is bad, do you mean stomach pain, diarrhea/constipation? Are you taking Acidophilis caps or eating live yogurt? This helps put the good bacteria back in the gut and can help symptoms. Have you tried taking anti-spasmodic pain meds such as Mebeverine before meals? Metamucil is good for binding and helping diarrhea. May help reduce need for sitting on the toilet after a meal.

There are always natural alternative too if you would like to try them?

Anyway, hope this helps and do post back.

Sarah

Old 04-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

laria82 HB User

Hey guys
thanks for the posts.
Sarah you asked if I have any stress in my life. Well I always do, I'm going to college and exams are in afew weeks. I was at the doc. the other day and found out theres a chance I have Melanoma (deadly skin cancer)I'm getting a biosy and cant wait. I have been diagonised with Panic attacks/ anxiety order, and Im not taking meds. for it. I know it's probalby a combinition of everything.
No, as of now I am not taking any herbal meds. I've taken them before with no luck. So I have given up. As for my IBS it is in all shapes and forms, diahrea, constapation, and I usually feel bloated after eating something as small as an apple.
So when you say natural alteratives are you reffering to herbs and vitamins or...what?
Thanks for the help.
Lara

Old 04-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi,

When I mean alternatives, rather than herbal, I mean homeopathic remedies that are totally safe to take with other meds and may well help your symptoms.

If you want a full description of homeopathy and how it works, please read my post to Mandie on the Bowel Disorders Board. It will fill you in if there is anything you need to know.

I take it from what you say that you get bad stomach pains? Well, when you have the pains and diarrhea, try some Arsenicum Album 30c. When severe, I would suggest taking one tab, wait 10 mins, then take another. Wait another 15 mins and take another. You can then take one tab three times a day for 2 days. If it has not worked by then, stop.

The other remedy you could try when in pain but rather more constipated is Nux Vomica 30c and follow the same procedure as with the Arsenicum.

Good luck and try some meditation and deep breathing exercises to help with the anxiety.

Take care

Sarah

Closed Thread