It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2002, 03:06 PM   #1

HorseyGirl HB User
New to the board..

Hello everyone,
I came across this board and have been reading the many posts. I am having a hard time reading everything so I thought I'd go ahead and just introduce myself and ask for advice. I have been suffering with IBS for as long as I can remember. Its been REALLY bad the past 5-6 years. I am 23 and go to college, ride horses, and am a very busy girl. These stomach problems have been making my life HELL! Whenever I eat - and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat - I have to *RUN* to the bathroom. Some days I have "D" like 5-8 times a day, sometimes its only once or twice. Because of this my rear end stays irritated and I have internal and external hemeroids. They itch and burn and hurt... I am soooo miserable. And its really embarrassing! I can't talk to anyone but my mom about it. The doctors just don't seem to have any answers for me. I get suppositories for the hemroids but they don't help much. I have been perscribed an antispasmatic medicine that doesnt really seem to help, either. I also have a problem with BAD gas, too. Its just AWFUL... I can't believe I'm sharing this info with so many people, but I NEED HELP! I CANT GO ON LIKE THIS! Does anyone have any advice for me?? HELP!!!

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2002, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: New to the board..

Hi, HorseyGirl - welcome to the boards. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been suffering with IBS (the "D" kind) for 20+ years, and in the last 5 or so years, it has worsened considerably. Sometimes to the point of incontinence if I can't find a bathroom. Talk about wanting to die of embarrassment - I've had to leave work before to change my clothes. I'm only 40 years old, and don't want to have to start wearing adult diapers. I don't know if you've had your gallbladder out, but I did about 5 years ago. Some people then have uncontrolled "D" after eating - which happened to me. When I first came across these boards about 6 months ago, I read about taking Calcium supplements (Caltrate + D) 2-3 times daily which did control my "D" for about 3 weeks. Then it returned - I tried Metamucil wafers twice daily for extra fiber, which also worked for awhile. But then all my problems started again. For awhile I was taking 20 mg Bentyl 4 times daily trying to control the "D" with little change. I came across another IBS board talking about gall bladder/chronic diarrhea, and how the pill Colestid or powder Questran helped control it. This is a medication usually prescribed for people with high cholesterol, but one of the side effects is constipation. In smaller doses, studies have shown how it helps control chronic "D" in some people, even those who still have their gall bladder. I went to my doc with the info and asked if he would let me try it. Fortunately, he said yes, and to make a long story short, I have been diarrhea free for about 7 weeks (this is the longest good spell I've had in years). I take 2 in the morning (you have to time it just right so it doesn't interfere with other meds), and still take 2 Calcium supplements, and 2 packages of Metamucil wafers daily too. Let's just say, I am feeling so much better with my bowel control, and having formed stools. I still get abdominal cramps, and gas, but at least I can get to a bathroom in time, even if I have to spend several minutes searching for one. Maybe this would help you too. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Good luck!
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2002, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

aipearson HB User
Re: New to the board..

I can completely identify with what you go through. I have always had a "sensitive stomach". But I had my gall bladder out 6 years ago and since it has been a living ****. I never know when I will have to go to the bathroom Right Then! It is a terrible way to live, you can't go anywhere without being nervous about using the bathroom. My doctor has prescibed Levsin SL for me and it helps alot. You dissolve it under your tongue two or three times a day when needed. Its working pretty good for me and it comes in a generic so it is not very expensive. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread