It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2002, 10:53 AM   #1

vanhorn101 HB User
IBS, Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis, Which?

I have had Irritible Bowel Syndrome for ten years. In the last year I have had bouts of sever pain in my left abdominal area. In November I was given a sigmoidiscope and barium enema and was diagnosed with Diverticulosis. I was told to eat more fiber but not given any other guidelines. Since that time I have had severe abdominal cramps similar to menstrual cramps, nausea, lots of gas, and bouts of acid or heartburn. My doctor prescribed Donnatal for the pain but I don't know what to do about the cramping. It is miserable. Should I not eat the fiber because the cramping is a symptom of Diverticulitis? I have an appointment with my doctor next week but I don't think he will be much help since he didn't even discuss his findings from my testing with me, just mailed me a brochure to read. What do you think my problem is? Or is it all in my head?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: IBS, Diverticulosis or Diverticulitis, Which?

vanhorn,
I have had Gastro problems for many years including diverticulitis many times. I started taking Metamucil while living in San Fran years ago. It not only helps your BMs but it is a sort if cleaner for pocket and folds in your colon. As you know diverticulas are caused by pressure in the colon. Psyllium is a stool forming agent and work as well with constipation asa it does with diarrhea. Psyllium is a natural fiber so it is broken down by your intestinal bacteria and ferments ---producing gas. But, as your system becomes use to it the GAS will disappear. Some people like Citrucel better because it does not produce any gas because is a semi-synthetic soluble fiber that does not breakdown or ferment resulting in no GAS. If you take Metamucil just start off slow( 1 dose daily) and increase it until you get a gentle BM without straining.

Full blown Diverticulitis is about the same as an infected appendix--alot of pain.The times I've had it--I had to take antibiotics. Then I had a yeast infection(candida) that needed to be treated with Nystatin and probiotics to re-establish intestinal bacteria.

I hope this helps--if you have any questions --just post here ---I visit this site alot.

God Bless---Harry <p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-25-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread