It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2002, 11:33 PM   #1

Lorimidwife HB User
I'm new, in pain every day

Hello, everyone, I am new here. I have been having pain related to IBS every day this year so far, with symptoms the past couple years as well.
Doc gave me Bentyl, which doesn't always work. I have been seeing a Chinese Herbalist and she gave me some herbs and four acupuncture treatments, but the pain remains the same. My symptoms are constant left-sided pain in my back and in my stomach. I don't have diarrhea, just pain, pain, pain. It is very frustrating and I am very depressed.

I just found out about this bowelsoothe stuff, before I go and spend my money on it (I'm about ready to try anything these days!), can some of you tell me if it works?

Thank you so much!
Lori

Old 06-17-2002, 05:41 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: I'm new, in pain every day

Hi,

Sorry to hear about all your stomach pains.

Unfortunately, I do not know anything about Bowelsoothe as a product and have never tried it. However, it is quite unusual for acupuncture not to work in cases like this. I have regular treatments for back pain and stomach problems and it seems to work very well for me.

Just out of interest, you say that you do not have diarrhea, but just pain in the lower left of your belly. Are you constipated? If you are constipated, then it might be an idea to start drinking more fluid. In Chinese Medicine terms, dryness is a cause of constipation. The Stomach is what is know as the reservoid or source of fluids and if other organs in the body do not have enough fluid, they will take what they need from the Stomach and cause even more dryness. The dryness then creates heat. Heat can cause stagnation and stagnation of Qi and Blood then causes pain, as you are experiencing.

When you had acupuncture, did you ever have any needles in your belly? If not, then it may be beneficial to have some needled. I have had this and it is not painful. The Liver, Kidney and Stomach Meridians all run through your belly and could be that you have some Liver Qi Stagnation that is causing your pain. In TCM, the Liver is responsible for the smooth flow of Blood and Qi throughout the body and any blockages will cause pain.

I don't know whether you are seeing a Chinese Practitioner? If so, maybe go and see a new acupuncturist who is a Westerner rather than Chinese. They have a better understanding of what we need in terms of treatment. The Chinese are a different constitution to us. I went to a Chinese practitioner once and they are vicsious needlers. I had to quit going in the end.

Have you tried other things, such as eating a good all round diet, cutting out alcohol, caffeine, soda and eating live yogurt or taking Acidophilis caps. Also increasing your fluid intake? These are all measures that can help IBS?

If the acupuncture and herbs are not effective, then you could always try homeopathic remedies. I suggest that you go and see a homeopath, but sometimes Nux Vomica works quite well for constant belly pain without diarrhea. It is good for constipation also. It could be that the back and the belly pain is related, especially as they are on the same side and once you have resolved your belly pain, your back pain may resolve naturally.

Hope this helps and apols for the length of the reply?

Good luck and take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2002, 01:29 PM   #3
(male)

bkitts HB User
Re: I'm new, in pain every day

I have what is called "Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain." Started 6 years ago! Everyday starts out without any pain, THEN, after getting up and around, severe pain by mid morning in back and both sides. Misery!!!

------------------

Closed Thread