It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2002, 02:12 PM   #1

mcfadden4 HB User
Need some encouragement! Trying to drink the GoLytely! (sp?)

I'm gagging down the GoLytely! (sp?) I've gotten down three glasses but it's been so hard!!! I feel like I'm floating, but it's already time to try another glass. It's been an hour and 15 minutes. Anyone know how long it's suppose to be before it starts working? Do I have to drink the WHOLE 4 liters? I'm so full!

I'll be so glad when my test is over tomorrow!

Blessings!

Old 06-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

EddieDean HB User
Re: Need some encouragement! Trying to drink the GoLytely! (sp?)

Let me just say how absolutely SORRY I am for you!! Anyone that has gone through that procedure knows what a pain in the rear the prep is. The surgery is a piece of cake....drinking that nasty stuff down is the worst part.
I started out great, I chugged down the first glass just fine. But then they told me that I had to drink a glass every TEN MINUTES!! I was practically just finishing the first glass and it was time for another. It's not awful tasting, but when you have to drink 4 liters of ANYTHING (even Pepsi or water), your body is just not receptive!
To be perfectly honest, I didn't quite finish the whole thing and he told me that I had prepared myself fantastically. I started getting dry heaves because the taste of it was activating my gag reflex.
My best advice for you....pamper yourself. In between glasses I made myself lots of cups of boulion. It was like eating chicken soup without the noodles, and got the gross taste of the nasty stuff out of my mouth. I also drank lots of hot chocolate and ate some jello. Those things were all okay for me to eat according to the doctor, and were very helpful in cleansing my palete for each additional glass.
I wish you the best of luck, and hope it all turns out okay for you. Once you get that drink down, the worst is over!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Mc,
AS you know by now the Prep is the worse part of the Exam. Your anus may become irritated---use a cream or some people even use Vaseline.
I Hope the test turnws out OK!!!

Take Care-----Harry

Old 06-24-2002, 07:47 PM   #4

mcfadden4 HB User

Yes, VERY irritated. I didn't finish the whole bottle. Everything is running clear. Is that o.k.? I'll be so glad when tomorrow is over!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I like Lanacane. The object of that STuff is to make your colon very clean so they can see with the scope.

The last time I took Go Lytely or what ever it is --- I only got to about 2/3 of the gallon.

During the test they will give you something for discmfort and sometimes they put you out. I ask not to give me too much because I want to watch the TV monitor. The last Gastro Doc told me to be quiet ---he needed to look and I was distracting him.

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread