It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2001, 09:26 AM   #1

teacher23 HB User
this is destroying me....

I am a 23 year old teacher and i am getting very depressed with my symptoms/conditions. this whole summer i have had bouts of diahrreah (usually lasting 2-3 days about every other week)sometimes alternating with constipation. I always have a bowel movement in the morning, with frequent urgency after waking up with abdominal cramping and pain. Often my stools are narrow, deformed, have mucous, a bright golden color, and clumpy. It is a rare occasion anymore to have a regular bowel movement!!!! My stomach is constantly acidy/nauseated, which i find to be the most distrssing symptom. I have had blood tests, liver test, ova/ parasite tests, sigmoidoscopy, and they find nothing. I made an appt with a gastroenterologist but i have to wait for another three weeks. I am always gassy and extremely irritable. I am desperate for help this is seriously affecting my life!

Old 07-25-2001, 10:05 AM   #2

teacher23 HB User
Re: this is destroying me....

This is a continuation of the above message....

I should have mentioned I was diagnosed with an intestinal parasite early on in the summer. But follow up stool tests have confirmed that the parasite is gone. Yet, the symptoms are not. Also about two years ago I also had severe problems with constipation. I went almost two weeks without a bowel movement. This was also during the summer, coincidentally.

I appreciate any replies offering advice/help or just plain comfort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2001, 11:53 AM   #3

ACSlater HB User

Teacher
I'm in the same boat, I know how horrible it is. I wish doctors could figure something out. No where I've looked or gone to has had any solid answers. Although, at my last G.I. visit in April the doc said that there was a drug coming out in June to treat IBS. Who knows, maybe it'll actually do something..but I haven't been back since.I really don't think IBS has much to do with people's diet..especially if you're 23 like me and you. I've concluded it's related to my nerves or brain functions tightening up my intestinal tract or upper colon. I know what you mean though, I've wanted to seriously die at times from being so constipated. Some things that've helped me is drinking a hot beverage when I wake up and doing something to totally take my mind of it. I think it happens cause my body's still relaxed from sleeping and the coffee helps stimulate. The worst thing you can do is to think about it and worry...it just makes you more nervous and only helps the cause. Drink tons of water too, and some herbal drugs will let your nerves stimulate a little..ginseng,st johns wort has helped me a bit.Overall, I think help is in personal productiveness and happiness. I've still got a lot of stress that seems to only fuel it, but it use to be ALOT worse. Mainly when I was a bigger mental mess. Finding a way to wake up every day and love your personal and professional life would more then likely help, if not be the solution. I seriously feel your pain.
Slater<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-27-2001).]

Old 07-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #4

teacher23 HB User

Slater,

thanks for your reply. I too sometimes feel this is all a mind game. I admit, i can be a hypochondriac at times, i have even had panic attacks due to harmless medical symptoms. I worry about it all the time, and i am beginning to think that it only happens during the summer because as a teacher i have the summers off and have a lot less to do. This leads to boredom, more time to think about it. I recently just went to New Orleans to visit (believe me, one doesn't get bored there)and my symptoms were practically non-existant. As soon as i got back, I felt bad again. Maybe the parasite I had triggered my mind to make the worse of it.

I also worry that some doctor is going to tell me to stop drinking and smoking. As a 23 year old guy I have a very active lifestyle and am very social, and i like to hang out with friends and drink at times. Does this condition mandate a life of social celibacy? I know one can have fun without drinking, but is a 360 in lifestyle necessary? I know doctors are going to say that...

Anyway, thanks so much for your response and take care.

Old 07-28-2001, 04:54 PM   #5

yngguy HB User

my symptoms are basically the same as you guys..I also fee like it my upper intestine is either not working properly or feels tight. I have movements every morning like clock work but nothing all day ! and I feel bloated and awful. This is really pissin me off sorry for the potty mouth.. but I cant figure it I am active , otherwise healthy , I have notice that if I take a metamucil teaspoon in the morning I will sometimes go around noon or so. I am confused and am no closer to a solution I tried a choclate fix and it worked for a day (see a previous post) If any one out there has ideas please let me know. Nice to know I am not alone on this trauma.

Closed Thread