It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2002, 10:50 PM   #1

ladyroc12001 HB User
stomach bloating and stomach cramps

Hi all!
I have IBS. This has been confirmed by 2 G.I. docs.
Yes I decided to get a second opinion.
both said I have IBS....mainly chrnonic constipation and looks like I have a slow gut. Both think its prob due to uncontrolled diabetes and some other meds I take like prozac contribute to this. I also have told them that I have had problems since I was a kid.
Anyways, what is making me have a bowel movement these days is taking 2tablespoons of lactulose (osomotic laxative) and eating high fiber diet...which consists of Prunes, all bran cereal, and metamucil at night. I also recently started taking the yogurt-
acidophilos (sp?)
My problem is this: I have severe stomach cramping and severe stomach bloating.......what can I do to relieve this feeling??????

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Ladyroc

Old 05-16-2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Unregistered

Re: stomach bloating and stomach cramps

Hi,

I think you might find that the yogurt and Acidophilis caps will relieve the cramps and bloating in your belly once you have been taking them for a while. It takes a little time for the good bacteria to re-colonise.

You could try Metamucil instead of lactulose.

Anyway, good luck.

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #3

djwalton HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ladyroc12001:
<B>Hi all!
I have IBS. This has been confirmed by 2 G.I. docs.
Yes I decided to get a second opinion.
both said I have IBS....mainly chrnonic constipation and looks like I have a slow gut. Both think its prob due to uncontrolled diabetes and some other meds I take like prozac contribute to this. I also have told them that I have had problems since I was a kid.
Anyways, what is making me have a bowel movement these days is taking 2tablespoons of lactulose (osomotic laxative) and eating high fiber diet...which consists of Prunes, all bran cereal, and metamucil at night. I also recently started taking the yogurt-
acidophilos (sp?)
My problem is this: I have severe stomach cramping and severe stomach bloating.......what can I do to relieve this feeling??????

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Ladyroc</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-18-2002, 02:53 PM   #4

djwalton HB User

Well, I am a newcomer to this board and also to ibs--I've had it, or the symptoms of it, for about 7 weeks. Which doesn't seem long, but it seems really long to me. Anyway, before yesterday, I was having almost constant cramping feeling in my gut, and I tried this herb, 'Cramp Bark', that I got at a nearby herb store that really helped take away the cramping and pain feeling. I am also taking another herbal product called Now Peppermint Gels that are enteric coated (the coating means they don't dissolve until they get into your colon) & they help also. Do you have an herb store in your area? If not you might want to try getting something like online. Anyplace that carries the Now Products can get you the enteric coated Pepperming Gels if you special order. Mostly health food stores and places like General Nutrition Center. I have decided to make a web page with helpful things and links about IBS that I have found and that have helped me. It will take me a while to put it together.

Old 06-02-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User

I think I had a problem of IBS once. I read about the topic and in one said a low fats would help to control the movements of the colon so I decided to give it a shot. I started eating low fat foods and it all dissapear. Now I have pointed out that if I eat high fat food I will get this painful cramps that I have to inmediatly go to bathroom lol! What I do have noticed strange about the cramps is that I feel them most in low abdomen just like menstral cramps. Weird.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:47 PM   #6

ascension HB User

I am new to this board but have been suffering to the same bloating and irritating feelings. I've started taking the acidopholus pill but i was wondering how long it takes to start feeling less bloated. Right now i feel the same or more bloated. Thanks, any suggestions would be awesome.

Closed Thread