It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 11:26 PM   #1

nanotechusa HB User
Recent studies - possible cure for IBS???

This is very interesting. I had a doctor check me out finally, luckily I was able to get
in with my Moms doc about these symptoms ive been having (pain bloating etc...)

Apparently he is an expert in IBS and belives a lot of it has to do with the colons bacteria content and natural twists.

I was diagnosed with excessive gas due to possible splenic flexure syndrome or IBS. Its
so narrow, the gas gets trapped and travels throughout that area causing severe cramps,
bloating, pain gas constipation dirreha,nasuea etc.. the whole array of IBS symptoms. He
seems to believe the cause of IBS is problems within the colons flora. He said he thinks most peoples problems could be related to the "flora-flexture syndrome".

Very interesting stuff. He gave me some antispasmodics but said currently there isnt much
he can offer, except a change in diet. He reccomend I try something he says has dramtically helped his other IBS patients and this is where it gets interesting...

One possible cure to gas production and possibly IBS that he noted was to repopulate intestinal flora with naturally occuring bacteria that produce less gas, or no gas at all yet still have the same digestive functions. He said he is staying in close contact with some research going on with that. The different bacteria wouldnt irritate the colon as much, therefore creating less spasms, cramps, bloating and unusually senstive colon movements (IBS)! He directed me to search about this speciifc bacteria "Lactobacillus plantarum" that may be of interest - very, very promising research i must admit - im going to try this :

"Although the cause of IBS is not known one promising theory is that it is due to disturbance of the natural, healthy intestinal bacteria - either by overgrowth by pathogenic bacteria or by eradication of the normal bacteria by antibiotics and
replacement by opportunistic colonisers. This can result in food being abnormally digested producing toxins that can affect the intestinal epithelium producing a condition called ‘Gut Dysbiosis’."

"A new study of IBS sufferers found unusual species (enterobacteria and pseudomonas) and
lowered levels of Bifidobacterium in 18 out of 20 subjects but not in normal control
subjects. Probiotics, are designed to replenish the natural intestinal bacteria and competitively exclude pathogenic & harmful bacteria. Supplementations of Bifidobacterium alone, however, have only shown to be partially successful in treating diseases such as
IBS."

This one is interesting----> "Fermentation, especially production of gas in the bowel, has
been suggested as one of the factors involved in IBS. A recent trial suggested that the specific probiotic organism Lactobacillus plantarum could cause a reduction in intestinal gas and many of the symptoms related to IBS. Lactobacillus plantarum is a slender
non-sporulating, non-motile, gram positive, catalase negative rod. Classified as a facultative anaerobe, it has the unusual ability to liquefy gelatin and rapidly digest protein. Acid without gas is produced during fermentation of glucose, an abilty that may
be pivotal in the reduction of digestive disturbances. New studies are suggesting that supplmentation of Lactobacillus plantarum could be a promising solution to IBS sufferers."

ALSO

"L. Plantarum is an unusual lactobacillus in that it liquefies gelatin.This means that the viable organisms survive the digestive process and produce an acid environment by glucose fermentation. The acid environment inhibits the putrid matter normally present in the intestines. This putrid matter produces toxic chemicals which make up intestinal putrefaction such as phenol and skatole, which for the most part escape the detoxification action of the liver. Having bypassed the liver, these toxins enter the general circulation where they can produce pathological changes in tissues, aggravate
existing conditions of weakness, and put unnecessary stress on the immune system before being excreted by the kidneys. The toxins are small proteins which are easily absorbed into the bloodstream. L. Plantarum is able to act on these protein toxins while they are still in the intestinal tract, thus removing a major burden from the organs and allowing the organs to complete their natural functions with much greater efficiency.It is this intestinal toxicity that creates a low immune system. Pockets and folds in the
intestinal tract can be filled with toxic matter causing inflammation, infection and
discomfort. Accumulation of toxins is common in colon diverticula and is responsible for diverticulosis and many other serious complications. Due to the micro-organisms ability to gain entry into the diverticular pocket, the presence of L. Plantarum may prove to be an effective treatment for many colonic, immune and digestive system disorders."

All of it sounds very promising!

If anyone has tried this, let me know please. I will post my results as I test it.

NANO

[...please do not post commercial links, as per the Posting Policy.
Only .edu and .gov websites may be linked here.]<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-05-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2002, 10:02 PM   #2

nanotechusa HB User
Re: Recent studies - possible cure for IBS???

Sorry, I was just trying to back up my quotations.

If i cannot back them up, then obviously this could all have been made up, by me or anyone.

I do not understand why healthboards.com would want to deny the right of evidence or proof to people and rather allow uneducated, uninformed and misguided, bias conjecture or speculation.

Well, for the record, just search for that bacteria name and IBS on a search engine and youll find a few links to this research.

NANO

Old 06-05-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

Thanks for the information. Probiotics are not a cure for IBS but many, many people take them for IBS with excellent results. The same company that makes Immodium also has a product called Probiotica that's over the counter in most drugstores.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:06 PM   #4

ldtblue HB User

I have been using Probiotica for my IBS for about 2 months. It does seem to helpbut, I am not sure of when I should be taking it. In the AM or the PM? I would also like more information on this idea if any one has any. And I would also like to stay in contact with someone who knows what I am going through. It would help me alot. Thank you
LDT

Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 AM   #5
Inactive

JimmyRay HB User

NANO:

You might want to look into a good digestive enzyme product. Digestive enzymes can do a lot more for your body compared to the probiotics.

Digestive enzymes will help get rid of the bloating. When your food is properly digested, you won't have the toxins in the colon or intestines.

<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 08-14-2002).]

Old 08-12-2002, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

ginette HB User

i tried digestive enzymes but found probiotics helped more,i guess what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

Old 08-16-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
(male)

UH-60 HB User

JimmyRay and Ginette,

You're both right. Probiotics help, so do digestive enzymes. They should both be taken. Probiotics rebuild the friendly bacteria culture that is vital to proper digestion. Digestive enzymes prevent food from rotting in our intestines, which leads to a takeover of bad bacteria. These are both needed to keep the good bacteria in balance.

Closed Thread