It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002, 05:50 PM   #1

JanieB HB User
Acidophillus really helps

Dear Friends at Healthboards....
I have been trying Acidophillus capsules and I can honestly say I havent had an attack for at least 4 months.... When my Mum passed away my bowel was terrible because of the trauma etc... I read in a magazine that Acidophillus helps replace the active flora in the bowel which is often disrupted for us people with IBS.... You can buy these in capsules and take two to three times a day with meals....You must have live cultures in these capsules.... Within a week my symptoms were greatly improved.......and have been ever since...I had to take anti biotics for a urinary tract infection and that normally gives me terrible diarreah...but with the Acidophillus I had no Diarreah...
I am not saying its a miracle cure....But it has worked for me.... If anyone is interested in taking this product...DONT stop taking any current medication...See your Doctor to see if it would be OK for you to take ...and then see the healthstores for advice on how much to take to suit you.....It is a very natural product and cheap to purchase too.... As I said it has worked for me..... I hope it helps others on the board....
Good luck... I would be intersted in postings from anyone who has taken this product before and whether it helped...
I wish you luck ...
JanieB

Old 01-16-2002, 07:26 AM   #2

Tonikl HB User
Re: Acidophillus really helps

Do you take the one with the Pectin or without? Which brand do you take and how much?

Did you feel a difference day by day or did it all of a sudden feel better? I have been taking it without the Pectin for a couple of days. Have not noticed a difference yet. But I am not sure if I am taking enough or just have to wait.

Thank you
toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2002, 03:40 PM   #3

JanieB HB User

Dear Toni,
I take the one without Pectin..... Its took roughly a week before any results ....I took two capsules per day with a meal.... I'm in London England so the brand may be slightly different... I basically got the healthstores own brand.... It must contain live cultures...I myself cannot have things like Yakult... But the capsules really helped.....As I said I kept on with the capsules and in a week I started noticing a difference, it takes a while to restore the balance of the flora in the gut... Have you tried the calcuim option as that works for some people too.... I hope that you have some results ...Keep me posted and good luck ... Janie xooxoxoxox

Old 02-11-2002, 12:38 PM   #4

scooter9999 HB User

Long before I met my wife, she was laid up with stomach problems for 6 months. There was almost nothing she could eat. Her mother managed to nurse her back to health, and they think the biggest contributor to her regaining her health was yogurt with Acidophillus and "that other stuff". I forgot it's name, but they are usually listed together when yogurt has Acidophillus in it.

I've noticed that more and more yogurt has this in it. I even saw an American tv show talking about Acidophillus as being a new thing that medical field was just discovering.

On this topic, but a fair ways off track, I watched a show the other day how they create an openings in a live cattle so that they can study digestion. Kind of disturbing in a way as the researcher reaches his hand inside a live cow and pulls out some partially digested food.

I'll get to my point now. Anyhow, they can siphon out stomach juices from these cows and place the juices in cows that are sick. In a lot of cases, the sick cows get well a lot quicker than they normally will. I assume it's because of all the healthy bacteria and enzymes that came from the healthy cow. The sick cows were lacking something they needed to be healthy, and they got it from healthy cow.

Sorry if that makes no sense and is really off track.

<p>[This message has been edited by scooter9999 (edited 02-11-2002).]

Closed Thread