It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 AM   #1

Madtraveler HB User
What the pooh is going on?

Ok so I have lived a life of leasure eating what I want and doing what I do, but after going to the doc, I was a little worried about something he said.

I was told that an average person has a bowel movement every 1-2 days..........Well I have one everyday when I woke up, go to bed, when I eat and sometime if I am just thinking about eating. I probably go around 4-6 times a day.

This leads me to another question, I pass a lot of gas, and it smells worse than most people's, not that I am a gas expert but I know when the room clears that it is not normal.

My father (late in his 50's) also passes a lot of gas and has recently had trouble keeping his bowels in at night, and has reverted back to a childlike state of POOPING the bed. This is very disturbing to me, how do I stop myself from getting there? any help would be appriciated.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Re: What the pooh is going on?

Just because your dad does that doesn't mean you will. Doctors diagnose bowel problems by a couple different criteria. Change from what is normal for you is one of them. If you've been going like this all along, and it's not causing you problems, then it's normal for you.

Bowel movements are different for everyone. Some people go 1-3 times a day, some go every 3 days. If there isn't any pain, blood, constant diarrhea or constipation and you seem to be going with no trouble, try not to worry about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi, there. As you can see by the posts here on this message board, lots of people have complaints related to the bowel. However, there is no such thing as "normal" when it comes to BMs. If you have concerns about your function, see your doctor. Irritable bowel syndrome is ruled out after all other bowel tests have come back "normal". As far as gas, IBS can cause a lot of gas, as can certain foods, carbonation in drinks, stress, etc. It's important to rule out other more serious problems. As far as having the same problems as your Dad, see your doctor now to give yourself peace of mind. I had trouble with incontinence (it started in my late 30's) related to my IBS, and for about 3 months have been on a medication that has helped me have formed stools. I may still go 2-3 times a day, but at least it's not diarrhea and it is controllable. If you see your doc, and it is IBS, then you'll have a lot of support from this board for various strategies to deal with it. IBS is NOT curable, but it can be tolerable.

Good luck,
Katie G

Old 05-14-2002, 02:30 AM   #4

nalawoman HB User

If you think about it, alot of our hereditary problems may be not hereditary, but rather because our feet are under the same table as our parents. We eat the same foods as they do all our lives growing up, and then tend to carry the same habits into adulthood. Then we are suprised when we start pooping the bed in our 50's! You are right to be disturbed. You should consider changing your diet to a more natural diet. do some research to find out what a REAL normal poop is, not just what your MD thinks. By the way frequent BM's are good, but they should not be excessively loose, formed or solid. Something like soft serve ice cream would be good. having a BM soon after each substantial meal is a good thing. Sometimes people get plugged up and the body will not be able to remove the older fecal matter, and so will pass the newer stuff around it in a very loose or liquid form just to get it out. This is not good.

Closed Thread