It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Hi, Harry - got a question!

Hi, Harry. I've posted on the boards several times for questions related to IBS and to give suggestions to other sufferers. I have the "D" type of IBS, and currently am taking 2 Colestid every a.m. to conrol the "D" which has worked fairly well for the past 6 months. I also eat Metamucil wafers and take calcium twice daily for diarrhea control. Everything has been good except for the past few days - I've had an increase in loose stools with lots of yellow stain on the tissue when I wipe (I'm wondering if the yellow is bile and the Colestid isn't into my system yet?). Only in the morning and then other BMs during the day are formed. I've seen you discuss some type of pill (?) that adds good/necesssary flora to the bowel - is it called Probiotic or something like that? Do you think I should add this to my IBS regime? Are there any side effects or counter actions with other drugs? Like with Colestid, I have to take meds one hour before or 4-5 hours after (even my multivitamin). If I take this, when should I take it? I think my loose stools are due to something not quite right with my intestines, or a flare up of worsening IBS (again!!), and have been really thankful for the control I've had with Colestid. I'm just wondered if I should be taking something more to help get things more formed in the morning again.

Thanks for your help,
Katie G

Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Hi, Harry - got a question!

Katie,

I read all the posts on the bowel boards and am fimilar with your condition. I also don't have a gallbladder but I don't have D and don't have to take any drugs to absorb Bile. Your messages are very good!!!

As I understand the way our GI tracts work W/O a gallbladder---- is if your system puts out too much bile and your gastro system works such that the bile ever reaches the colon without being absorbed in the ileum(the last part of your small intestines) then you will have D. Most people that have their gallbladder removed don't have D but as you know some DO.

My suggestion is use Psyllium husk powder and not the wafers--I like Equate(sugar free) from Wal Mart. It seems to have more body than Metamucil which I think is too powdery. I have used the wafers and they don't seem to work as well as the powder or the capsules. I think you should take MORE psyllium---it a water absorbable fiber so it should also absorb bile and it certainly is a stool forming agent and safe. I have low cholesterol(150) and I would not take anything that lowered it---I'm trying to increase it. I'm having a big discussion about this with my Doctor. He think the lower the better---I don't???

One of the worse cases of D that I have ever known solved his problem with Metamucil. I don't know what yellow stain is but bile is green. In my life I've vomited bile for 2 days after surgery and had D that was green----never yellow.

I also think with your condition you need to use "Probiotica" it is the best one use to re-colonize your gastro system and I also use PB-8(has 8 cultures) and eat Stonyfield Farm yogurt that has 6 active cutures. With your D that you have on occasions ---it'll wash your colon out and I think messes up the balance of the GOOD intestinal flora that needs to be re-balanced.

I also think you need to take a digestive enzyme with every meal----It also helps. I have used many!!!

I know this will help---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2002, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Harry. Thanks so much for your response. Is the Probiotica an OTC or do I need a prescription for it. What time of day should I take it? I'll attempt the yogurt, but I really hate the taste/texture of yogurt and many other well-known brands have actually seemed to give me diarrhea (maybe it was just the fact that I had eaten something, and the gastrocolic reflex was in overdrive).

Please tell me more about the digestive enzymes you talked about. I don't know anything about those or where to get them.

Will there be any drug interactions with the fact that I take Colestid in the a.m. after my blood pressure medication? At noon, I take a multivitamin and calcium ; after supper, I take another calcium, and at bedtime I take Elavil for my fibromyalgia. Yes, I'm a mess!

You have been so helpful with all your words of wisdom and experience. Thanks so much!

Katie G

Old 06-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Katie,

Good Bacteria in your intestines does NOT interfear with any medication. "Probiotica" contains Lactobacillus reuteri is the only culture in it and you can take it anytime. It is the only one that is advertised not to be affected by stomach acids or bile salts. Take PB-8 at night when your stomach acid is at its lowest. Acid will destroy some of the cultures but not all.

I did not know you had Fibromyalgia as high BP. Elavil is usually for depression in regular doses. You may know this but most people with Fibro have Candida (yeast) infections and if yogurt like Dannon or Stonyfield Farm gives you diarrhea----you probably need to deal with it big time. Look up the web sites on reuteri and stonyfield and read about the benefits of the good bacteria. It is essential that you learn about it and start working on it. Also, read some of the messages that I've written ----I been posting over 2 1/2 years on this board. Just do a search on "Harry" on this board and the Bowel Disorders board. You won't get them or even want to read them all but you'll get enough.

There is Alot to know about enzymes. Dr.Edward Howell, MD is an expert and pioneer on Enzyme research. Enzymes play a very necessary part in ALL reactions that take place in the body. They are required for digesting food, energy(cellular), brain function, repairing and rebuilding all organs and tissure/cells in the body. Dr. Howell calls enzymes the "Spark of Life" and Life could not exist without them ---even if you eat right, take vitamins/minerals and drink enough. You may want to buy one of his Books---"Enzyme Nutrition"

The body produces alot ---into the thousands of enzymes.They're needed for all sorts for chemical reactions.

I buy alot my vitamins/ supplements from the Vitamin Shoppe at a pretty good discount. Look up their site you may need it before we get finished.

Good enzymes that I use are Infla-Zyme Forte from American Biologics and Schiffs Enzymalll.

I hope you are also taking magnesium with your calcium and what brand of calcium and multivitamin are you taking??? I hope I'm not getting too personal. I'm willing to help you get out of this Mess!!!

God Bless---Harry

<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 06-14-2002).]

Old 06-14-2002, 07:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Harry - wow what a lot of info! I'll have to print your message, so I can try to review and absorb it all. My bowels were much better behaved this a.m. so maybe my few days of loose stools are under control again. Now that I think about it, I also noticed more abdominal pain and increase in my fatigue level, so may have been battling some kind of virus that also attacked my digestive system.

My high BP (appears to be hereditary) is not related to my fibro (I don't think), but have had both for several years. I've read a lot of websites and literature on fibro, and feel that my IBS is just another component of FM syndrome. I have the typical trigger points, chronic muscle & joint aches/pain, and fatigue that also is part of FM. I've been taking Elavil (25 mg) at bedtime for probably 10+ years, with fair results. I always have chronic pain, but it is much less with the Elavil, because if I forget to take it - my pain & stiffness levels are much higher. I also exercise aerobically and with weights, as well as do yoga to maintain mobility, strength, and flexibility. My IBS has been a fluctuating problem for many years - as you know some days are much better than others. I was so glad to finally know what formed stools were after starting the Colestid and for the past 5-6 months, so that when things started to turn for the worse, I got really scared that I was going to go back to severe/explosive "D" and have to miss work, etc. It can be really depressing, but I really think things are back on track. However, I will be looking into Probiotica and the enzyme info you gave me.

As far as the calcium I take the Walmart equivalent of Caltrate+ in the purple/white bottle, which along with calcium, has vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese. I compare labels every time I buy just to make sure the ingredients are the same. I take a Walmart brand vitamin called "One Source", which has multiple vitamin and mineral percentages (some exceeding 100%), especially the "B" vitamins. Someone told me that I should be taking more "B" vitamins to combat the fatigue, but my vitamin already has 100-300% of the recommended "B" vitamins.

I wish there was a way to exchange e-mail addresses on here, so that we could just communicate via e-mail messages rather than posting on these boards all the time. However, if our messages are helping someone else, I'm glad for that.

You've been such a great source of information for me and others who suffer from IBS. At one point in my life, when my "D" was so bad and I was so depressed/embarrassed about it due to bouts of incontinence, I was actually envious of those people who posted concerns about constipation. I actually thought they were lucky to not be able to "go." However, with your messages and others on this board, as well as internet research and books about IBS/D, I've learned a great deal on how to maintain as close to normalcy as possible - but when a flare-up occurs, I really feel the fear of loss of control all over again.

Thanks so much for all your help; I really appreciate it! Please keep posting - you really help me and others with your advice.

Katie G

Old 06-16-2002, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Katie,
There are some interesting reading on the Digestive Disorderes board about digestive enzymes. Jimmy Ray's messages are good.

Harry

Closed Thread