It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2002, 11:57 PM   #1

nanapat HB User
chronic diarrhea and immune dificiency

I have had chronic diarrhea for 12 years or so, a few years ago after going through all of the test, colonoscopy flex sigs and the like I was diagnosed with inflammatory colitis. I have to take 6 to 12 prescription strength imodium almost every day and bentil to control the colon cramps. I know this sounds familiar to alot of you! My quesion is...I was diagnosed last week with a disease of the immune system and have since learned that one of the symptons is chronic diarrhea. I haven't seen my Dr. since I learned this to discuss it with her yet but was wondering if any of you have had this same problem?

Old 05-07-2002, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Re: chronic diarrhea and immune dificiency

Hi:

Suggest you look this up on MedLinePlus, it's a search result on inflammatory colitis:

<A HREF="http://wwwindex.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/htsearch?words=inflammatory%20colitis&co nfig=medplus%5Ffuzzy&method=and&format=b uiltin%2Dshort&restrict=&spell=spell&x=1 5&y=16&search_type=All%20MED" TARGET=_blank>http://wwwindex.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/htsearch?words=inflammatory%20colitis&co nfig=medplus%5Ffuzzy&method=and&format=b uiltin%2Dshort&restrict=&spell=spell&x=1 5&y=16&search_type=All%20MED</A> LINEplus&WSSCheckFieldName=words&action_ spell=Check%20Spelling&WSSUserDictFileNa me=&WSSOptions=303872&WSSLanguage=24941

The standard treatment tends to be immune-suppressants as most inflammatory bowel diseases are 'auto-immune'. This means that your body's immune system is overactive with respect to your gut. Some of the most commonly used drugs for this condition include: prednisone, pentasa, methotrexate. Suggest you look up these drugs along with doing a search on medlineplus for other anti-inflammatories. You owe it yourself to find out as much as possible about this drug category because you're likely to be taking these drugs for a long time. If you can, try to be put on the drug that has potentially the fewest, mildest side-effects. You can sometimes determine this by cross-referencing your current health versus the side-effect profile of each drug [which organs/systems that drug targets, or which organ metabolizes that drug.]

BTW, prednisone and methotrexate are usually the strongest/harshest, while pentasa tends to be milder for most people. Which drug your doctor puts you on usually depends on the severity of your symptoms.

Good luck,
Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2002, 08:04 AM   #3

nanapat HB User
Re: chronic diarrhea and immune dificiency

Thanks Jay,

I have been on Prednisone off and on for years...It does help.
I appreciate you information and will check out the website,
Again Thanks

Closed Thread