It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2001, 11:56 PM   #1

Marie505 HB User
Hope this information helps someone

I have had IBS for many years without knowing what I had. I was just tolerating the problems and not eating much at work because I was afraid that I would need to run to the restroom at an inconvenient time. Pepto Bismol was my friend for many years. I thought I just had a nervous stomach. I finally went to see a gastroenterologist and was diagnosed with IBS. I tried Levasine which didn't work much. I hated the dry mouth associated with this medication. My doctor then put me on Lotronex. This medication worked until the FDA took it off the market. I was a bit upset when this happened as I thought I found a medication that worked for me and let me eat without all the hassles. Finally, my doctor put me on Amitriptyline(the generic equivalent of Elavil) which is an antidepressant. I believe my IBS is stress related. I didn't start having all these stomach problems until I started taking the pill. I am not quite sure if taking the pill alone is what started it but I finally stopped taking it and started working on relief for my digestive problems. I take 1 pill (10 mg) a few hours before I go to sleep as the medication can make you sleepy. I use to take 2 10 mg pills in the beginning but had problems waking up because I was so sleepy so I dropped down to 1-10 mg pill. I have been taking this medication for about 10 months and have confidence to eat even at work. For many years I would turn down lunch plans because of my IBS problems. Now I can say yes to lunch at work. I even eat foods I wouldn't touch before. 10 mg of Amitriptyline is a small dose of medication but it works for me. Maybe a medication like Amitriptyline can help some else too. I hope this information helps someone else who is still in search of that bit of hope. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2001, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Re: Hope this information helps someone

Hi, Marie. I'm glad you found something that works for you. I hope it continues, because unfortunately, some "cures" work for awhile, and then IBS changes again, and you need to change your approach. I too take Elavil (25mg at bedtime) to help promote sleep and decrease pain related to fibromyalgia. Besides IBS, I also suffer from chronic aches and pains. To control my IBS which lately is under better control than it was 3-4 months ago, I also take Bentyl 20mg 2-4 times daily, as well as calcium supplements with every meal. So far, my IBS has been ok to deal with, but I know another flare-up will occur - it always does. Good luck to you in your IBS control.

Katie G

Closed Thread