It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2001, 03:41 PM   #1

stamour HB User
Bentyl

I have IBS and my Dr. gave me Bentyl to take and I was wondering if anyone else has taken it and if it helped.
Thanx in advance and god bless.

Old 10-15-2001, 11:39 AM   #2

RodneyReo HB User
Re: Bentyl

When I was first diagnosed with IBS I was perscribed Bentyl. That was in 1987 and that was the last year I took it. The reason I quit taking it was because of one side affect in particular. I would have a loss of depth perception for a few hours after it "kicked in". When I would reach for small objects (like pencils) I would come up short. As for helping ... it didn't do anything that I could tell but then again my IBS wasn't a severe problem then like it is now. I'd like to know if it helps you. I might bring it up with my doctor and give it another chance.

Rod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2001, 01:32 PM   #3

stamour HB User

Thanks for your post. I have taken it once before and didnt notice anything bad from it but then again I only took it once. I felt it helped me out. I was also taking some other med for a reflux problem I have and Im not sure maybe if that was a factor. Im going to try it again soon cause my IBS is acting up again.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hello to you at this site. I have suffered IBS for about 20+ years with chronic diarrhea, cramping, etc. Rarely if ever am constipated. I started taking calcium supplements to help with the diarrhea (I found this recommendation on this website), and although it works for the most part, I am still struggling with episodes of severe explosive diarrhea - sometimes I cannot get to a bathroom in time. I hate living like this and will go back to my doc again. When I discussed it with him a year ago, he prescribed Bentyl, which does slow down my innards, but I can still have diarrhea even after taking it. I haven't noticed any significant side effects, but I've had better luck getting formed stools with the calcium supplement. However, I still have significant problems with diarrhea during menstruation. I hope I'm not embarrassing anybody here with my graphic explanations. I plan to see my doc soon and find out what I can do for the life-altering episodes of diarrhea. Any ideas out there?

Katie

Old 10-30-2001, 12:13 AM   #5

Laura Jean HB User

I have the same problem that Katie G does. I cannot control my bowels and I also have explosive diarrhea. I have tried Bentyl and it didn't work for me. I have tried Equilactin (over-the-counter but usually needs to be specially ordered) and it seems to help bulk up my stools & allows a little more time to get to a bathroom. I hope this helps ya.

P.S. I go for my 1st colonoscopy on Halloween!! I'm scared but I'll try to let ya know what happens.

Old 11-02-2001, 04:43 AM   #6

Brienne HB User

Hi to you all!! I have had IBS since I was 12 and Bentyl was the first medication I was on. It didn't seem to work real well for me so I switched from doctor to doctor to find someone that would help. My newer one put me on Hyoscyamine. It works really well and it dissolves under the tongue so it works faster. It makes you sleepy at first, but then you get used to it and I hardly even noticed the side effects (and I am usually very sensitive to them).
I have had 2 colonoscopys and just a little advice....never have one without anesthesia!!!! Also, for all you who have had Barium swallows...you have my sympathy.
If you have dramtically more pain during your periods you might want to make sure you do not have endometriosis which is often confused with IBS.

Closed Thread