It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2002, 10:43 AM   #1

avva HB User
IBS and iron supplement

I have to take an iron supplement everyday for a slight case of anemia. Unfortunately, the iron supplements cause diarrhea. I even tried a liquid iron supplement called Floradix. Even that did not work. Can someone recommend an iron supplement that doe not cause diarrhea?

Old 05-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: IBS and iron supplement

Most Iron supplements that I have used cause constipation instead of diarrhea. The inorganic type like iron sulfate sold as "Slow FE" is a brand that will cause constipation.

The best I have found is: Iron -amino acid chelate. It is advertised not to cause constipation. As you may know too much Zinc and Vitamin E interferes with iron absorption.

I have been dealing with anemia since February when I had alot of blood loss because of chronic diverticula bleeding. I ended up with 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed!!! My hemoglobin went to 8.4 in 4 hours from 15.6----I passed out in the ER. Since then, I have done alot of reading on IRON supplements ----the organic iron supplements should not cause constipation or diarrhea in a reasonable dose i.e. 2 to 3 times the daily requirement(18mgs/day is the daily dose).

There maybe something going on beside taking Iron if you're having diarrhea with taking an Iron supplement??? Some makers put Herbs or vitamins in with their iron that can cause some people problems.

God Bless---Harry<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 06-02-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread