It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2002, 07:44 PM   #1

jim mcfarland HB User
Throat swells

HI evryone :-)

My Name is Jim & I have suffered with this IBS for 6 years now. Ive just had food alergy test done & there seems to be some link to some of my symptoms. What i was wondering If anybody out there has ever had a lump type feeling in there throat ? Sometimes when I eat certian things I get a lump right where you would get a treak put in. It last for several hours then goes away. The six years Ive been dealing with IBS this has only been bothering me for the last 6 months.I never have burning & I tried acid medication like zantac & the new purple pill but it never helps. I always feel poor. I have also battled anxiety the whole 6 years as well. So now where at what came first the chicken or the egg. Ive finally accepted the fact I should try medication so I started paxil a couple of weeks ago. It really has taken the edge off. I would give anything to feel better ! I have a wonderful wife & kids that I love so much but miss so much time because I feel like I have the flew all the time. Is there Hope ??

Praying,
Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2002, 01:31 PM   #2

Angie E HB User
Re: Throat swells

I've been having the same throat problem and have now been diagnosed with TMJ. People who have lots of anxiety are prone to TMJ. I didn't know it could cause difficulty swallowing. It might help to go ahead and have a Barium Swallow test just to be sure you don't have a polyp in your throat. You can go to the TMJ board just to read symptoms etc to see if the shoe fits...Might also check into thyroid conditions. Many thyroid conditions such as Graves Disease can cause swelling of the thyroid gland and very high anxiety. It takes a simple blood test. There is also a thyroid board which is very informative.
Angie E

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2002, 01:18 PM   #3

Angie E HB User

Oh, I forgot to add something. Extreme diarrhea can also be a symptom of a thyroid problem. Thyroid can cause changes in the bowels.
Angie E

Old 01-26-2002, 05:35 PM   #4

JanieB HB User

Dear Jim,
I also get the lump in my throat, mainly when I'm stressed.... Its common for us people with IBS as we have the bowel/brain connection... I also have a loving hubby and a lovely daughter....My hubby's in remission from cancer and I think this is when I first got IBS....The worry of his treatment and everything set me off.... The only medication I take is the natural product called acidophillus.... That has helped me alot...I also feel like Angie that you should get you Thyriod gland checked...
I hope this helps... Best wishes Janie

Closed Thread